Chania suggestions

awatt

On 2/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, bennybear said:

Anything specific?   We have been a few times and I am happy to answer questions. 

Thanks so much!

am. To seeing much in the way of excursions that wows me. Since you’ve been there a few times, what did you enjoy doing an wing?

since we are there a full day, I’m thinking spending a half day walking around the old town, the. Go to a nearby beach. But would trade the beach for something else  if we get a better option.

We loved the old town of Chania and there are some great restaurants far around on the waterfront.   The beaches are beautiful but late May the water may still be really cool.   We also enjoyed seeing the allied war cemetery in Souda,  this is also near where some of Zorba the Greek  was filmed.  There is also a German war cemetery in Maleme.   You can take a local bus to Maleme or further along the coast to Kissamos.   

The beach at Falasarna is stunning but it is quite a distance.You could also rent a car but the driving can be a little chaotic.   

Chania is well worth a half day,  there is an interesting market,  make sure to buy some local honey.   The local knives are interesting.   If you check trip advisor there are some really good restaurants.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

I wouldn't spend part of the day at the beach in either Chania or Dubrovnik, there's just to much too see and do. You can easily DIY both places. In Chania you can jump on the local bus at the port and it'll drop you right outside the daily indoor market. It's only a ten minute ride for a couple of Euros. From there you can wander the shopping area that leads down towards the harbour.

In Dubrovnik there are loads of local taxis at the port to take people into the historic walled city. Again it's only a ten minute ride. Dubrovnik is an amazing place to walk around, with an incredible old and recent history and it's now used for filming Game of Thrones.

I'd look at a different port if you want a beach day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, bennybear said:

Anything specific?   We have been a few times and I am happy to answer questions. 

I walk with a cane, knee and back problems. We are doing Dubrovnik on our own as pretty sure I can walk the old town. Also able to take a bus to Chania, but how difficult is walking around the market. How far from market to the  nearby harbor. I am a 76 year old woman.,living with an active 76 year old woman who can do just about anything. This is a special trip for her and I don't want to hold her back. This is our 55th anniversary.

Congratulations on your anniversary!   It is several blocks from harbour to the market,  but not more than around a ten minute walk IIRC.  The market isn’t huge but has some interesting items, try the Greek honey and the Greek mountain tea grown on Crete.  

The harbour is a pleasant walk,  probably no farther than the walk in Dubrovnik.   Ithink the buses will probably drop off near the market but check when you get there. Have Fun! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mom07 said:

I wanted to double check because I heard Chania is only a two minute walk from the cruise port.  Is that true?  Or will we need to take the bus?

Thanks so much!

I think it depends on your port. My cruise will dock in Souda, and it seems we need to take the bus to go to Chania. There is a port in Chania, but I don't know if cruises dock there.