First time to San Juan

SCAnthony

We will be cruising in March with a stop at San Juan. Trying to decide between a beach day (maybe a day pass at the Marriott) or just wandering around old San Juan. Are the beaches “can’t miss”? Or should we skip that and go to Old San Juan? 

Edited by SCAnthony

The beach in the Condado area are exposed to open sea and can have riptides and forceful waves, especially during the winter month and early spring. Isla Verde beaches are protected by a natural reef in the distance and see much less intense waves. But there are no available hotels with day passes in the Isla Verde area that I know of. There is a chair/ umbrella vendor in the area of Tartak street (I think it's the only one) with places to eat nearby. You;d have to decide between being mostly in the sand in Condado (Marriott, La Concha area), having chairs, shade and food nearby and better water conditions at Isla Verde or just wander around the old city.

I agree completely with indy71--Old San Juan is a piece of old-world Europe, with blue cobblestone streets, pastel-colored buildings, Spanish tile signs and murals, nifty boutiques, two interesting, well-preserved forts, picturesque waterfront with stunning fountain...I could go on and on.

Fyi, our first cruise there, we made the mistake of signing up for the Bacardi tour. It was a long (uninteresting) bus ride there, lots of waiting around, long bus ride back. It killed the whole day and I saw nothing of San Juan. Since then, we've been back many times--without an excursion. It's the kind of place you can go back to again and again, with wonder and amazement. Easily one of the best ports in the Caribbean. - Musing About Cruising

Following threads like this one as I too, will be cruising in March with a port stop in San Juan. Have been very impressed with everything I have read about Old San Juan and the forts. Quite certain my group will do a self tour of Old San Juan as soon as we dock. Don't arrive till 3:00 pm.

Thanks everyone.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, SCAnthony said:

We will be cruising in March with a stop at San Juan. Trying to decide between a beach day (maybe a day pass at the Marriott) or just wandering around old San Juan. Are the beaches “can’t miss”? Or should we skip that and go to Old San Juan? 

If this is your first time in San Juan  DEFINITELY go to Old San Juan as your first to do list.  It is really a do not miss! 

I disagree with some of the other things mentioned about going to the beach, i am a beach person and loved my time on the beach in Isla Verde.  Big beach, great for walks but not for beach bars per say.  I loved to be there when the sun goes down, it can be ruff but i was lucky to have calm ocean.  I had purchased to beach packages and completely enjoyed my time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, Stinger-pr said:

The beach in the Condado area are exposed to open sea and can have riptides and forceful waves, especially during the winter month and early spring. Isla Verde beaches are protected by a natural reef in the distance and see much less intense waves. But there are no available hotels with day passes in the Isla Verde area that I know of. There is a chair/ umbrella vendor in the area of Tartak street (I think it's the only one) with places to eat nearby. You;d have to decide between being mostly in the sand in Condado (Marriott, La Concha area), having chairs, shade and food nearby and better water conditions at Isla Verde or just wander around the old city.

Hi there! Is this by chance the place you're talking about on Isla Verde (link below)? We're only going to be in port from 7am - 2pm so not sure it's worth it, or if we should wander Old San Juan and enjoy some local fare for lunch.

https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/excursions/san-juan-beach-break-resort-day-pass/

34 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Hi there! Is this by chance the place you're talking about on Isla Verde (link below)? We're only going to be in port from 7am - 2pm so not sure it's worth it, or if we should wander Old San Juan and enjoy some local fare for lunch.

https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/excursions/san-juan-beach-break-resort-day-pass/

Yes. That's the beach at the end of Tartak street that I mentioned. There's also a private chair vendor but that package sounds like a good deal. The hotel pictured is the San Juan Water and Beach Club, which is quite nice. Do a search for it and see for yourself. A taxi ride would be around $20-$22 for up to 5 of you from the port, each way. With your timeframe, you could leisurely get off the ship at 8am and still have a solid 4 hours to enjoy your beach day there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Yes. That's the beach at the end of Tartak street that I mentioned. There's also a private chair vendor but that package sounds like a good deal. The hotel pictured is the San Juan Water and Beach Club, which is quite nice. Do a search for it and see for yourself. A taxi ride would be around $20-$22 for up to 5 of you from the port, each way. With your timeframe, you could leisurely get off the ship at 8am and still have a solid 4 hours to enjoy your beach day there.

Thank you so much for your help - I sincerely appreciate it! 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, kdmbluerzr said:

Following threads like this one as I too, will be cruising in March with a port stop in San Juan. Have been very impressed with everything I have read about Old San Juan and the forts. Quite certain my group will do a self tour of Old San Juan as soon as we dock. Don't arrive till 3:00 pm.

Thanks everyone.

Be aware that the forts close at 5 p.m. or shortly thereafter.  After getting off the ship, keep your bearings.  Know how to get back to the ship.  After dusk, there are some areas in Old San Juan which you should avoid.  Check with the ship or with the tourist desk in the terminal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Be aware that the forts close at 5 p.m. or shortly thereafter.  After getting off the ship, keep your bearings.  Know how to get back to the ship.  After dusk, there are some areas in Old San Juan which you should avoid.  Check with the ship or with the tourist desk in the terminal.

Thanks much for input and comments. Appreciated.

5 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

To get to the areas that one should avoid, you have to intentionally go there.  And even if you do, there's a really nice restaurant in La Perla.  But other than La Perla, Old San Juan is quite safe at night.  There are some great bars up on San Sebastian and the side streets that come off of them.