Rogers Cell Phone International Roaming

Sneakie

I'm wondering if there are any Canadians who have used their Rogers cell phones on International Roaming while on a cruise and if so, how well did it work?

I need to access my emails a few times a week for work purposes and we'll be travelling on Celebrity Reflection to the following ports; Cayman Islands, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I don't want to take my cell off ship with me but would like to use it to access my emails while we are in port. 

My other option is to purchase the Roam Mobility / AOW International Sim Card.  Has anyone any experience using that?  How's the service in port?

Are there any other Sim cards I could purchase that would provide service in all the countries listed above?

The ships plan to purchase wifi is extremely expensive at $360 Cdn for unlimited use during the entire cruise.  My research isn't finding any smaller plans you can purchase once on ship.  When I sailed on Princess I would just buy something like a 30 min plan and it would do me.

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

Do you have T-Mobile in Canada?

No we don't but we can get the T Mobile sim cards.  Do they have a good plan and good coverage in the ports I mentioned?

This wiki provides a great deal of information on various "local" sim card options around the world.  Give it a look see and decide if there are any options that look good for you.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

Another thought is to use some land-based "free wifi" at various retail establishments.  Of course, you would be sure to utilize a VPN for shoreside security. 

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

This wiki provides a great deal of information on various "local" sim card options around the world.  Give it a look see and decide if there are any options that look good for you.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

Another thought is to use some land-based "free wifi" at various retail establishments.  Of course, you would be sure to utilize a VPN for shoreside security. 

Thanks, I will check it out!

I'm not interested in taking my cell on land and working while I am exploring new places.  I plan to check emails first thing in the morning and then not worry about it for the rest of the day.  So finding free wifi, although probably the least expensive option, doesn't interest me at this point. 

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I do  not have Rogers  but I just ordered  a WORLD TRAVEL SIM  for  our upcoming cruise  in April  just for talk & text

https://www.worldtravelsim.com/

will see how that goes  as our service provider only works in Canada  ..no roaming on our pay as you go plan

Thanks, I'll check this out too!

17 hours ago, Sneakie said:

No we don't but we can get the T Mobile sim cards.  Do they have a good plan and good coverage in the ports I mentioned?

I don't think it is available with their pay as you go, but they offer unlimited texting, unlimited data (minimum of 2G) and calls as 25 cents (US) per minute in over 210 countries.

But they do not have contracts, so you could sign up for a normal plan, then cancel it.

The other option is wifi calling.  If your phone and carrier support it, you can call and text anywhere you have wifi, either on ship, or hot spots around ports.

And to find hotspots, as the crew, they will know as they use them.

Edited by SRF

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

I don't think it is available with their pay as you go, but they offer unlimited texting, unlimited data (minimum of 2G) and calls as 25 cents (US) per minute in over 210 countries.

But they do not have contracts, so you could sign up for a normal plan, then cancel it.

The other option is wifi calling.  If your phone and carrier support it, you can call and text anywhere you have wifi, either on ship, or hot spots around ports.

And to find hotspots, as the crew, they will know as they use them.

Thanks, I'll see what a plan costs.  I don't need any calling or any texting.  I only need data to check emails when in port before leaving the shop for a day of adventure.  

Does  the ship have  lower cost plans for internet   ?

like pay by the minute ?  or 200 minutes for $$?

It may be worth just  doing that than  trying to get SIM card  etc..

just a thought

4 hours ago, Sneakie said:

Thanks, I'll see what a plan costs.  I don't need any calling or any texting.  I only need data to check emails when in port before leaving the shop for a day of adventure.  

Another method, just ask your cabin steward for the nearest wifi hotspot for each port.

Get off the ship, hit the hotspot, read your email and on your way.

Or, just by a wifi plan on the ship.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Does  the ship have  lower cost plans for internet   ?

like pay by the minute ?  or 200 minutes for $$?

It may be worth just  doing that than  trying to get SIM card  etc..

just a thought

It depends on the cruise line.  Royal Caribbean sells a wifi plan at some amount per day.  Typically cheaper before the cruise.  They have two levels, Surf and Stream.  Surf is 0.5 mbps download speed and Stream is 5 mbps.  For email and such, Surf is fine.

Just now, SRF said:

It depends on the cruise line.  Royal Caribbean sells a wifi plan at some amount per day.  Typically cheaper before the cruise.  They have two levels, Surf and Stream.  Surf is 0.5 mbps download speed and Stream is 5 mbps.  For email and such, Surf is fine.

yes  of course  the plans vary by line

The OP is on Celebrity so  maybe  they can check with them

I have never been on either of them so that is why I suggested  checking