Studio cabins and dining

jmsnyc

The reason I posted and put the subject is because traveling solo and dining go hand and hand

Norwegian is the best when it comes to studio cabins, however I wish they would have organized dinner every night.  Not everyone has to go but at least a sign up and a couple of tables reserved.   One of the things I hate about Freestyle dining is that if traveling solo it could be extremely awkward

I only booked a studio once so not sure if this has changed but when I did they only organized dinners 2 of the 7 nights

My experience on two cruises in the past year has been that the solo host assembled a group for the MDR every evening except the first. I would have liked it on the first night as well. You don't even have to be in a studio to attend the solos' gathering each evening.

On one cruise the solo host also had sign-ups for specialty dining but I don't think that it worked very well, because most who wanted specialty dining had already reserved it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There's no reason to think of dining alone as "awkward". I've eaten alone on ships even though I've never sailed alone.

I dont think its a big deal for lunch or breakfast but dinners I like to be with people , have conversation

On other cruise lines or before Freestyle - I always found I bonded and made friends with the people assigned to my dining table.  Of course you can make friends anywhere but I always thought dining with the same people every night that you did not know before the cruise is cool (most of the time, lol)

13 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

For me "awkward" is being assigned a table full of strangers I'm supposed to eat dinner with. I love NCL for giving me a table for one and excellent service. Not awkward at all.

To each their own I guess.   I think it would be a plus for Norwegian to at least offer the dinner sign up option daily in the Studio lounge or if there were set tables but I get that it does not always work out.  So for example every night at 8pm table numbers 12 & 14 in the so and so dining room////

If there isn't one organised you could ask if anyone wants to join you for dinner at the solo bar.  I think you could also suggest a venue and time by writing it on the white board.  Finally, see if there are any solo travellers on your roll call who might be interested.  The last time I was on the Epic there was a sign up sheet every day.

3 minutes ago, Happy2b@sea said:

If there isn't one organised you could ask if anyone wants to join you for dinner at the solo bar.  I think you could also suggest a venue and time by writing it on the white board.  Finally, see if there are any solo travellers on your roll call who might be interested.  The last time I was on the Epic there was a sign up sheet every day.

Ok.  Thanks for all the replies.

40 minutes ago, jmsnyc said:

To each their own I guess.   I think it would be a plus for Norwegian to at least offer the dinner sign up option daily in the Studio lounge or if there were set tables but I get that it does not always work out.  So for example every night at 8pm table numbers 12 & 14 in the so and so dining room////

That is a nice idea. I was referring to the "old days" when you were assigned a time and a table and didn't get much choice.  That is the part I didn't like.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, jmsnyc said:

The reason I posted and put the subject is because traveling solo and dining go hand and hand

Norwegian is the best when it comes to studio cabins, however I wish they would have organized dinner every night.  Not everyone has to go but at least a sign up and a couple of tables reserved.   One of the things I hate about Freestyle dining is that if traveling solo it could be extremely awkward

I only booked a studio once so not sure if this has changed but when I did they only organized dinners 2 of the 7 nights

I am also like you in that I hate to eat dinner by myself.  I can do breakfast and lunch with no problem but for some strange reason I just can't eat dinner sitting at a table by myself.  I was solo on the Escape last April staying in a studio cabin and I missed the first night meeting due to miscommunication from the solo lounge coordinator.  So when I went to dinner all alone they did seat me at a table of single ladies which turned out ok.  When I went to the solo lounge meeting the next night I did find out that every night at 5:30pm there was a dinner for those that wanted to attend.  I don't usually eat at 5:30 but since I didn't want to eat alone I attended the dinner every night. 

You need to give NCL another chance as they really are the best cruise line for traveling solo.  Also, like someone suggested look at your roll call as I bet there are some other solo travelers who would love to eat dinner with you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always attend the studio gatherings, they’re usually at 5/5:30. There, the solo coordinator has sign up sheets and makes the bookings on the spot every day for everyone who shows up.

If you can’t make the meet, the sign up sheets are usually there all week.

the dinner rotates between restaurants.

sometimes by the end of the cruise, the dinners end up being long 10-20 people tables.

as someone else mentioned, the only caveat is that the time is usually early: 6-6:30, which does sometimes cause protest and rebellion among the solo cruisers and pressure on the solo coordinator to change the plans. 

So it has been a while since I've cruised and I've never cruised NCL or cruised alone like this time. I am in a studio. 

So when the solo coordinator arranges these dinners, are they in specialty restaurants? And what about reserving shows? Is it necessary? Sorry for the dumb questions. Being along puts all of the pressure on me to plan. 

1 hour ago, cavenger said:

So it has been a while since I've cruised and I've never cruised NCL or cruised alone like this time. I am in a studio. 

So when the solo coordinator arranges these dinners, are they in specialty restaurants? And what about reserving shows? Is it necessary? Sorry for the dumb questions. Being along puts all of the pressure on me to plan. 

Sometimes MDR, sometimes specialties.

I've done the studio cruises many times in the last few years. The level of solos/singles coordinator effort varies with each cruise. I have a feeling it depends on how many people are booked/what ages/etc. I've definitely been on cruises where the solo studio group had stuff going on ALL the time and the solo host was super active, and others where there wasn't even anything listed on the whiteboard in the lounge. The ones with an active solo host/lots of events are the majority, though.

I'm referring to 7-day trips on the -away ships in the Carib, for what it's worth.

• Like 1