Social WiFi and iMessage

30scruiser

Good evening! Can someone please verify that iMessage works well with the social WiFi package? On the Carnival website it says it’s not included but I believe people said it does work? I need something to keep in touch with my mom who is watching my kids.

41 minutes ago, coevan said:

the text part will, forget about any pictures. Depends which ship and what time of the day as to the speed. Which can be painfully slow

Thanks. We’re on the Pride which is reportedly getting its WiFi upgraded in dry dock this week so fingers crossed 🤞 

Almost every cruise they cut off I-message and u cant turn it back on until u get to a port with wifi. U need to get whats app, it works on any wifi and yes it is supported by Carnival. My wife cruises alone sometimes and we have no issues texting or sending photos from the ship to the states or back to the ship, It also has a phone feature that u can call over the internet.

Edited by pops72106

We have communicated with our sons via iMessage with no problem the last 5-6 cruises. We have carried on long text conversations and it is almost as quick as being on land. It will not send pictures. 

I have also communicated with a few android users using WhatsApp. It will send pictures.

We have even talked with one of our sons a couple of times over the WhatsApp Voice Call option. It has a slight lag but it works. We talked for over 20 minutes each time.  

18 hours ago, mjrcruiser said:

I can never get iMessage to work. Are there any settings on your phone that need to be changed once on board?.....besides airplane mode, etc.  I don’t fully understand the technical side...😣 

Did you have the wi-fi package? It's pretty much just texting through wi-fi. There is no way Carnival can turn off iMessage

59 minutes ago, coevan said:

Did you have the wi-fi package? It's pretty much just texting through wi-fi. There is no way Carnival can turn off iMessage

I did.....I am sure it was just me not knowing what I was doing.  I like to think I'm "tech savvy"....LOL   NOT!! :classic_blink:   We sail again in May so I'll be sure to have the WhatsApp as a "fail safe" to stay in contact with the pet sitter/family, etc.  

5 hours ago, coevan said:

They absolutely can block the ports iMessage uses. When you buy the social package it explicitly says iMessage does not work on that package. 

On 2/9/2019 at 6:54 PM, pops72106 said:

Almost every cruise they cut off I-message and u cant turn it back on until u get to a port with wifi. U need to get whats app, it works on any wifi and yes it is supported by Carnival. My wife cruises alone sometimes and we have no issues texting or sending photos from the ship to the states or back to the ship, It also has a phone feature that u can call over the internet.

My wife uses i-message on the social wi-fi plan every cruise.  She has never had a problem with it.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

30 minutes ago, JimP81 said:

They absolutely can block the ports iMessage uses. When you buy the social package it explicitly says iMessage does not work on that package. 

My wife uses i-message on every cruise with the social wi-fi plan without a problem.  The value plan information also says you can't use cellular dependent wi-fi calling.  But I use AT&T wi-fi calling to text on every cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimP81 said:

But yet, iMessage does work on the social plan. Or it did on the Inspiration In October last year. I can confirm that I was able to send and recieve texts...pics, gifs, video didn’t work.

carnival also explicitly states things in their rules, but do not enforce, so maybe iMessage on the social plan is one of them.

or, maybe, officially, iMessage supported...and those of us just lucked out.

Edited by Lechon
additional