Please Help Choose Beach Day

Gatordad815

Thank you to all replied to my prior inquiry regarding Beach options on a crowded day.  As I’ve been looking at this I have a few more considerations that I’m hoping folks can chime in on...

1) Jaime’s:  I received great recommendations for Jaimes at the Blue Reef. Specifically, it seems they are happy to make safe gluten-free food for my daughter who has celiac disease. Any business that cares enough to do this really makes me want to patronize them. But it’s all inclusive and book in advance which means we would be pretty much locked in if I book it.

2) Tropicante: I emailed Steve at at Tropicante and he was quick to respond, very friendly, and also offered to make safe gluten free food for my daughter which makes me want to patronize his place. The bonus to booking with him is it’s pay as you go and I’m not locked in. I could email him and cancel if for some reason we wake up that day and we can’t go & he could just give our spots to a walk up customer, so the flexibility is nice. Is it a good place for small kids?

3) Blue Kay: I love Mitsugurly’s reviews of this place and objectively the beach looks the best by far there for small kids, but I’ve read reviews about their pricing being inconsistent so I emailed them 10 days ago and received no response. I have no idea if they even received the email, but regardless I’m unsure what their policy/pricing would be if we show up.

4) Ya Ya beach- it just looks nice. But that’s all I know.

My goal: a nice hassle-free beach day on a crowded ship day. Flexibility is a bonus, but not an absolute. The kids likely won’t eat wherever we go as we will feed them a big breakfast, but the fact that Jaime’s and Tropicante would accommodate them if they get hungry really impresses me. I want to enjoy the bigger beach at blue Kay but the lack of reliable pricing info or response to my email is a turn off.

All things considered, what would you more experienced cruisers choose? Any input appreciated! Thank you!

We go to Blue Key almost every rime we stop in Costa Maya.  I personally think too much is made of the pricing.  I suppose if it were too high I would feel differently but I really couldn’t care less.  Tropicante also takes walk-up customers and so do lots of other places.  We enjoyed the time we went to Tropicante but not as much as Blue Key.  We sail to Costa Maya 4 times this year and will likely be at Blue Key every time.  Enjoy whatever you decide on.  

We were at Tropicante last week - can't say enough good things about Oscar and the other waiters there.  Steve responded promptly to all of our emails. Great service, nice beach, clear water, and the guacamole was heavenly.  We enjoyed the pay as you go, no commitment option just in case the weather or something else interfered with our plans - luckily it was sunny and low 80's and the staff was waiting for us as we got out of the taxi ($8 each way).  Lots of families with kids in the water and sand.

We also were there last week. Yup Oscar is the BEST host! We had chairs waiting on waters edge in the shade, and the Best Fried shrimp basket we have ever had!  Also had Iguana eggs, which are giant stuffed jalapenos with chicken and cream cheese battered and deep fried. Honestly, that was the Best food we had the whole week including the cruise food!   10 minutes from the port and 8 bucks cant be beat!

• Like 1

We went to Blue Kay on February 4, it was great.  We were charged $10 each and got 2 drinks free plus we got pads for the loungers.  I will say it was beautiful and not crowded, we got there around 11:00 and left around 2:00. The drinks were not great but we drank them.  It was hard to communicate with the employees.  But all we wanted was a nice relaxing few hours at the beach and it was great for that.  I did talk to them through ‘messenger’ and they told me $35 for the day and that included free drinks and lunch for 3 hours.  But we just paid the $10 each.

There was very little seaweed and the water is very shallow out from the beach for a long ways.  

0001F1BD-8BB7-4353-81FE-1242C91020F6.jpeg

8DB39A65-F75A-4498-9857-4331F475751D.jpeg

956FAE0B-70AD-449B-BFF7-5979CA30FF6A.jpeg

CF19ECAC-D879-4F59-8F12-0C0EAB5D2DDA.jpeg

On 2/16/2019 at 2:04 PM, LuckyLori said:

We went to Blue Kay on February 4, it was great.  We were charged $10 each and got 2 drinks free plus we got pads for the loungers.  I will say it was beautiful and not crowded, we got there around 11:00 and left around 2:00. The drinks were not great but we drank them.  It was hard to communicate with the employees.  But all we wanted was a nice relaxing few hours at the beach and it was great for that.  I did talk to them through ‘messenger’ and they told me $35 for the day and that included free drinks and lunch for 3 hours.  But we just paid the $10 each.

There was very little seaweed and the water is very shallow out from the beach for a long ways.  

0001F1BD-8BB7-4353-81FE-1242C91020F6.jpeg

8DB39A65-F75A-4498-9857-4331F475751D.jpeg

956FAE0B-70AD-449B-BFF7-5979CA30FF6A.jpeg

CF19ECAC-D879-4F59-8F12-0C0EAB5D2DDA.jpeg

Thanks for the pics & info! I’m leaning in the direction of trying this place out based on reviews/pics/flexibility of just showing up! Thanks!

20 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thanks for the pics & info! I’m leaning in the direction of trying this place out based on reviews/pics/flexibility of just showing up! Thanks!

We liked that it was away from the other beaches and not crowded and not loud!!  

21 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thanks to everyone for replies! I’m leaning towards Blue Kay, though I think I’ll wait until the morning we get there to decide. I’m really looking forward to this day-appreciate the input so far!

Is there a reason you aren't looking at Maya Chan?  I think the water tends to be better at Blue Kay, but Maya Chan will have a better overall experience.  Blue Kay is cheaper though and might fit you better.  Another poster has recently mentioned Hayhu and loved it.  You may want to research them as well.

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Is there a reason you aren't looking at Maya Chan?

Before I could even get serious about planning, Maya Chan was sold out. In spite of the good reviews, the fact it was sold out made it easy to discard as an option.

• Like 1