13 hour layover in Dublin....need lots of help!

cafevita

We are cruising in Europe for the first time and embarkation is in Barcelona but we have a 13 hour layer in Dublin ( which we are very excited about) . Only thing is we arrive at 5am on a Saturday morning in June. Our luggage will remain at the airport since it is a connecting flight, but we will have our carryons with us. Any and all suggestions would be welcome! I know we will be jet lagged but would love to visit some of Dublin while there! Is this plausible? It is so early! Should we get a hotel room for the day? Hire a driver or take a cab? Guinness factory? Don’t know where to start! Help! 

7 hours ago, cafevita said:

We are cruising in Europe for the first time and embarkation is in Barcelona but we have a 13 hour layer in Dublin ( which we are very excited about) . Only thing is we arrive at 5am on a Saturday morning in June. Our luggage will remain at the airport since it is a connecting flight, but we will have our carryons with us. Any and all suggestions would be welcome! I know we will be jet lagged but would love to visit some of Dublin while there! Is this plausible? It is so early! Should we get a hotel room for the day? Hire a driver or take a cab? Guinness factory? Don’t know where to start! Help! 

I'd suggest  HOHO bus round Dublin

there are several companies and they do a circuit around main sites including Guiness factory

try to get on one with a live commentary rather than pre recorded

with jet lag that would be my suggestion

getting to Dublin centre from airport I believe the DART[Dublin Area Regional Transport] train services that route

more convenient and more expensive is a taxi-how many are you?

5 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

getting to Dublin centre from airport I believe the DART[Dublin Area Regional Transport] train services that route

Sorry, but no. it doesn't! That would require joined up thinking by politicians, civil servants and planners, which is contrary to the Irish psyche.

If only 2 pax, then best way is bus.  Buy a Leap card at the airport and use it on airport bus and city bus for 10 euro for the day. Leap card info here!

I understand that there is now a luggage storage facility at Dublin Airport Terminal 1.  You will (airline dependent)probably arrive at T2 but it is only a short walk to T1.

Then get into Dublin and get the HOHO bus.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Sorry, but no. it doesn't! That would require joined up thinking by politicians, civil servants and planners, which is contrary to the Irish psyche.

If only 2 pax, then best way is bus.  Buy a Leap card at the airport and use it on airport bus and city bus for 10 euro for the day. Leap card info here!

I understand that there is now a luggage storage facility at Dublin Airport Terminal 1.  You will (airline dependent)probably arrive at T2 but it is only a short walk to T1.

Then get into Dublin and get the HOHO bus.

lol

I'd heard so much about the DART servce I assumed it would link to the airport!

we will have an overnight stop on British Isles cruise in July-do you recommend Leap card for transport between cruiseport and city?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

we will have an overnight stop on British Isles cruise in July-do you recommend Leap card for transport between cruiseport and city?

You would think, wouldn't you?  But no!  See my first comment in post #3 above.  If you follow the link to the Visitor Leap card, you will see that it is only available in a few specific outlets and cannot be purchased onboard buses etc.  (Ok you could get it posted to you if you have enough time).

You say 'Cruise Port', so I take it you will be docking in Dublin Port and not Dun Laoghaire?  Then you will be in an Industrial Port area and the buses/Dart/Luas do not go there.  Best bet is cruise line shuttle or taxi.  It is quite a walk from the docking area to the closest Luas (tram) stop.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

You would think, wouldn't you?  But no!  See my first comment in post #3 above.  If you follow the link to the Visitor Leap card, you will see that it is only available in a few specific outlets and cannot be purchased onboard buses etc.  (Ok you could get it posted to you if you have enough time).

You say 'Cruise Port', so I take it you will be docking in Dublin Port and not Dun Laoghaire?  Then you will be in an Industrial Port area and the buses/Dart/Luas do not go there.  Best bet is cruise line shuttle or taxi.  It is quite a walk from the docking area to the closest Luas (tram) stop.

the other British Isles port specify the actual port eg Edinburgh [Newhaven]

Dublin just says Dublin so not sure

There will be 4 of us so taxi may be best

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread but hopefully OP finds this useful 

2 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread but hopefully OP finds this useful 

I'm sure OP is jealous of your overnight as compared to 13 hour layover.  Though OP will see a lot in 13 hours.

Here is a link to Dublin Port Cruise Schedule for 2019 where you can check where your ship will be docked.  DL is Dun Laoghaire (a tender port except for the smallest )

(with further apologies to OP).

Thank You both! Haha , Please no apologies needed! Thanks for the heads up.....the more heads the better! We are 4 passengers on Aer Lingus. Will look into the locker situation for the carry -ons. Would Love to spend an overnight but traveling with adult children that have less vacation time. Still recommend the bus or should we seek a large taxi? will the large taxi be available at the airport or should I pre arrange private transportation? Are there breakfast spots at the airport or in the vicinity? Looking for authentic places for breakfast and lunch. Most visitor attractions probably will not be open till 9 or 10am. Besides the Guinness factory , any other spots of must or easy to see would be appreciated. 

If you have time and interest, I recommend trying to visit Kilmainham Gaol and to see the Book of Kells at Trinity College.  Researching the history of what happened at Kilmainham Gaol in advance of the visit helps make the visit more meaningful.  Personally, I found the Guinness factory to be somewhat interesting/fun, but lower on my list of things that I got the most out of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

If you have time and interest, I recommend trying to visit Kilmainham Gaol and to see the Book of Kells at Trinity College.  Researching the history of what happened at Kilmainham Gaol in advance of the visit helps make the visit more meaningful.  Personally, I found the Guinness factory to be somewhat interesting/fun, but lower on my list of things that I got the most out of.

Thank You for the recommendation! Will definitely look into it! Will try to fit in as much as we can, Loving all of the suggestions!

On 2/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, cafevita said:

Thank You both! Haha , Please no apologies needed! Thanks for the heads up.....the more heads the better! We are 4 passengers on Aer Lingus. Will look into the locker situation for the carry -ons. Would Love to spend an overnight but traveling with adult children that have less vacation time. Still recommend the bus or should we seek a large taxi? will the large taxi be available at the airport or should I pre arrange private transportation? Are there breakfast spots at the airport or in the vicinity? Looking for authentic places for breakfast and lunch. Most visitor attractions probably will not be open till 9 or 10am. Besides the Guinness factory , any other spots of must or easy to see would be appreciated. 

A taxi to the centre will cost at least €40 and the same back from centre to airport.  I would be inclined to have breakfast upstairs in T2, then go to T1 (5 mins walk) and leave the carry-ons, then take the bus.

Here is a link to the 747 Bus Route.  Get off at O'Connell Street or College Green stops.   College Green is for Trinity College and Book of Kells.  Also close to Grafton Street.

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

A taxi to the centre will cost at least €40 and the same back from centre to airport.  I would be inclined to have breakfast upstairs in T2, then go to T1 (5 mins walk) and leave the carry-ons, then take the bus.

Here is a link to the 747 Bus Route.  Get off at O'Connell Street or College Green stops.   College Green is for Trinity College and Book of Kells.  Also close to Grafton Street.

Thank You for the bus link! looking like it might work out well for us. I have read that it could be a 30 min walk to the Guinness storehouse from O’Connel street. Hopefully the weather will cooperate! The storehouse does not open till.  9:30 am so perhaps we can find a place for breakfast on the way, Since we will be in city center . If I do not purchase a round trip ticket ( at the airport), for the Airlink, can I purchase one in town? 

If you are making Guinness Storehouse your first stop, then stay on the bus until Christchurch (Cathedral) or Ushers Quay as they are closer to the Storehouse than O'Connell Street.  Christchurch is probably the better stop and there will be plenty of places for a breakfast between Christchurch and Storehouse.

Allow around 1.5 hours for immigration etc and then get into town, you won't have too long to wait.

Single fare on 747 is €7, whereas the Leap Card is €10 for the day. You can pay onboard the bus but they only take coins (no notes) and do not take credit cards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

If you are making Guinness Storehouse your first stop, then stay on the bus until Christchurch (Cathedral) or Ushers Quay as they are closer to the Storehouse than O'Connell Street.  Christchurch is probably the better stop and there will be plenty of places for a breakfast between Christchurch and Storehouse.

Allow around 1.5 hours for immigration etc and then get into town, you won't have too long to wait.

Single fare on 747 is €7, whereas the Leap Card is €10 for the day. You can pay onboard the bus but they only take coins (no notes) and do not take credit cards.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Still trying to navigate our day but Guinness Storehouse is a must stop for our 20 something daughters. Thank You for the info on the bus stop. Leap card may be the way to go so that we can make our way back and make other visits along the way.

We did exactly this ourselves several years ago as a family of 4!  We landed super early; so I got a day room for a quick 2 hour nap near the airport then we taxied to Dublin and saw The Book of Kells, the Guinness tour, had lunch there; and the duck boat tour. We walked around the Temple Bar area and then headed back to the airport. It was perfect!! 

1 hour ago, mommamd said:

https://www.between9and5.com/en/day-rooms-dublin/

This site lists day rooms all over.  Very helpful. You get the room during the day, they specify the hours. 

Didn’t know this site existed, Thank You! Only giving me an option of 2 people per room, you mentioned that you were 4 as well, did you get 2 rooms?