Alaska June or July?

sboh

1 hour ago, sboh said:

Considering a Denali Explorer cruisetour (Vancouver-Denali-McKinley-Anchorage) on the Royal Princess next summer, can do either June 13 or July 11, is one preferable over the other and why?

July will see more mosquitoes than June but the weather will be warmer. June will have much more daylight with true darkness lasting only a few hours in Denali.

If you are near salmon streams, July will have a better chance of seeing bears.

Edited by Crew News

I prefer June.  Historically dryer. Snow still on the mountains.

I would choose a ship other than Royal Princess as it doesn't have much outside deck space.

I actually like the cool crisp air as in June back home, we are really hot.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies! Prefer cooler temps also and like the idea of snow still in the mountains. It might result in more wildlife at lower elevations (?) too. Haven’t cruised in 10+ years, not up on ships but I now see what you mean about deck space. Only two ships, Royal and Grand, do itinerary we want and the Royal date in June works better for us. I believe this is its first season in Alaska (?) so will have to read upcoming reviews and may have to reconsider. We did book a balcony so may be okay.

Edited by sboh
Added

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:42 PM, Crew News said:

July will see more mosquitoes than June but the weather will be warmer. June will have much more daylight with true darkness lasting only a few hours in Denali.  If you are near salmon streams, July will have a better chance of seeing bears.

Appreciate your very good summary and these excekkebt details.  Very helpful and interesting!!  Looks like various trade-offs and pro/con factors.  It looks like a choice between seeing bears versus battling more mosquitoes!!  Right?   In July, for our first time, we will be seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then in late July sailing with Silversea up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.

THANKS for all tips, suggestions, secrets, etc.!   Keep 'em coming.   Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/