Visa needed if you don't disembark in China?

Shax17

I've attempted to find the answer through numerous sources on the internet but can't find a definitive answer. I'll be on a cruise next year that stops in Nansha/Guangzhou, China for one day then Hong Kong for two days. As I understand it I won't need a visa for Hong Kong provided I don't leave the city as I have a British passport and if I leave the ship at Guangzhou I don't think I qualify for one of the 144 hour or 72 hour visas since I'm not entering from Hong Kong so I would expect to need to apply for a visa. I just want to know whether or not I need a visa in Guangzhou if I don't leave the cruise ship? I'd appreciate any help or guidance.

You should be fine, see section 2 of "conditions" here:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

Hong Kong is considered a 3rd country as far as the visa goes so does not change the validity.

It actually says you are not restricted to the city in Guangzhou, you can move freely throughout the province.

12 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

You should be fine, see section 2 of "conditions" here:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

Hong Kong is considered a 3rd country as far as the visa goes so does not change the validity.

It actually says you are not restricted to the city in Guangzhou, you can move freely throughout the province.

Thank you for the reply, however I've also seen it mentioned on other sites that cruise ships aren't subject to the same exemptions as flights. As I understand it you can stay on the ship in some countries and it's not considered entering the country, but it is in others. I was just hoping that someone would be able to tell me which was the case for Nansha/Guangzhou port. The 144 and 72 hour convenience visa apply if you arrange a tourism excursion with a Hong Kong registered travel agent but I believe you also need to have started in Hong Kong. Nansha/Guangzhou will be my first contact with China and I need to confirm if I can stay on the ship and not have a visa.

5 minutes ago, Shax17 said:

Thank you for the reply, however I've also seen it mentioned on other sites that cruise ships aren't subject to the same exemptions as flights. As I understand it you can stay on the ship in some countries and it's not considered entering the country, but it is in others. I was just hoping that someone would be able to tell me which was the case for Nansha/Guangzhou port. The 144 and 72 hour convenience visa apply if you arrange a tourism excursion with a Hong Kong registered travel agent but I believe you also need to have started in Hong Kong. Nansha/Guangzhou will be my first contact with China and I need to confirm if I can stay on the ship and not have a visa.

What does your cruise docs say?  You could be denied boarding without the required visas.

7 minutes ago, Shax17 said:

You are free to travel freely without an excursion from HK, no need to stay on the ship, enjoy the visit.

As you will only be one day you can even fall under a 24hr visa free visit, the clock starts counting down at midnight after arrival.

i know that people can be pretty knowledgeable on this site, but sorry - when it comes to documentation - i would not be asking for this specific advise - 

if i were you, i would be in contact with the Chinese consulate in your area to make sure 1 million percent that you are travelling with the correct documents...

when u get a response like 'we didn't need one" - but the poster is not saying what passport they are holding - 

this is just my input - 

use this site for ship details etc, but not about documentation as YOU are the one that can be possibly denied boarding - even the internet is very confusing with this - like i say, just go direct to the source...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

You are free to travel freely without an excursion from HK, no need to stay on the ship, enjoy the visit.

As you will only be one day you can even fall under a 24hr visa free visit, the clock starts counting down at midnight after arrival.

Let me correct my own post here! 

The 72 hr entry starts at midnight after arrival, the 24hr entry is entry to exit times.

Shanghai and Guangzhu ist not the same situation. Shanghai is a special zone in China, so there are other Visas then in China normally. 

The best thing is to ask at he Chinese Ambassdy, then you are secure.

China is so special, but in one day you don't see a lot of this country.