I don't want to write this review...

rgr33

I will be on CB tomorrow 16 Feb. Give me a week to get back with you on my observation.  I will make a point to eat in both the horizon court; slice pizza, MDR, Crown Grill, Sabatini's.  Will test everything out; to include Skywalkers and pool bar.  See you in a week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tere247 said:

Oh boy. My husband is going to kill me.  We're booked on a 7 day next month.  

Having just got off a great b2b on the Royal Princess where every lunch and dinner the buffet offered multiple carving stations with tender meat, served on plates. I don't understand the card board. 

It’s interesting that you have highlighted one of the negative posts. You will be best to make up your own mind when you get onboard. There are many positive opinions of the Caribbean Princess but unfortunately they get lost amongst all the negativity which always seems to be the case on here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

It’s interesting that you have highlighted one of the negative posts. You will be best to make up your own mind when you get onboard. There are many positive opinions of the Caribbean Princess but unfortunately they get lost amongst all the negativity which always seems to be the case on here.

That's the one that caught my attention.

6 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

I do agree that there are loads of people who just love the CB buffet food so everyone should make their minds when they experience it. 

tera247, my intent was to point out areas on the ship that needed attention, I also spoke of parts of the cruise that were as good as ever.  this is still a cruise to the Caribbean islands, at a perfect time to get out of the bad weather. The ship is beautiful, most of the crew is welcoming and eager to make your cruise experience a pleasant one. If you re read my post, you will notice I never said I had a bad time, just that I felt things had slipped in the buffet and poolside service.

Geoffa 30, I tried to write a balanced trip  review, what I liked, what needs to be improved. I thought the posts from other members were pretty fair on both sides.  As the title states, I didn't want to have to write this  particular review.

As much as we love Princess, we felt this cruise missed the mark in specific areas. If no one brings this to Princess' attention, no changes will be made. I think they can do better.

There's a reason we keep coming back to Princess. I have no doubt we'll enjoy ourselves.  But, my husband likes the buffet, and I'm worried it won't be what we've grown to expect from Princess. Especially after our recent RP cruise where we couldn't ask for anything better. 

We love the feel of the KP and the CB, but the buffet on the GP and the RP. 

2 hours ago, tere247 said:

There's a reason we keep coming back to Princess. I have no doubt we'll enjoy ourselves.  But, my husband likes the buffet, and I'm worried it won't be what we've grown to expect from Princess. Especially after our recent RP cruise where we couldn't ask for anything better. 

We love the feel of the KP and the CB, but the buffet on the GP and the RP. 

We haven't been on the Royal class, so can't compare, but we have been on the Caribbean Princess before and after the remodel of the buffet. We were very pleased with the food overall when we went in October. There were a couple of nights that my husband wanted to eat there instead of Club Class, and almost every lunch. Of course there were items we didn't love, but there were usually more appealing choices than we had room for on our plates. There were also different selections in the Planks and Steamers areas at breakfast and lunch, including custom omelets and a custom noodle station. 

Just  back from the CB and had a wonderful  cruise. I have always  felt that the most effective way to provide feedback  is to provide  it directly  to Princess via the post cruise survey or a direct written communication . The 14 day Caribbean  Cruise  we were on gave us ample opportunity  to try all the various  dining venues. We found the changing of the Horizon  Court to its new design a welcome change. Utilizing  Planks and Steamers for breakfast and lunch  service was a great idea also providing light up buzzers at the pool grill was another great idea. Greatly appreciated  the pitchers of ice water provided at the pool bars.

As for the food served, it's way too subjective of a topic for me review . 

1 minute ago, JEH said:

Just  back from the CB and had a wonderful  cruise. I have always  felt that the most effective way to provide feedback  is to provide  it directly  to Princess via the post cruise survey or a direct written communication . The 14 day Caribbean  Cruise  we were on gave us ample opportunity  to try all the various  dining venues. We found the changing of the Horizon  Court to its new design a welcome change. Utilizing  Planks and Steamers for breakfast and lunch  service was a great idea also providing light up buzzers at the pool grill was another great idea. Greatly appreciated  the pitchers of ice water provided at the pool bars.

As for the food served, it's way too subjective of a topic for me review . 

Thank you for your quick review. We board CB in two hours.  What are the light up buzzers for?

Have a great cruise . Light up buzzers are given at the Pool Grill when you place your order. Rather than a mob hanging around waiting you can wait at your table or pool lounger. They are also used in Planks and Steamers at breakfast  for omelet and other egg orders. Very efficient  

When I took my grandsons on a Princess cruise last year I was quite surprised by the change of the food in the main dining room since the previous year when I went on a Princess cruise with my granddaughters.  The soup at lunch was a gelatinous concoction that tasted like all of the leftover veggies from the night before had been run through the Vitamix.  I've booked a 15-day cruise to Hawaii for later this year but having to pay double occupancy for just myself, I think I might need to work on my expectations so as to not be grumpy about any possible downgrades. 

I just got off Caribbean Princess today 23 Feb and I have to say this was a perfect cruise. No issues.  Food was great. Ate in MDR, buffet, Crown Geill, slice pizza, Salty Dog grill, coffee and cones, and everything was great. Staff was excellent, cabin steward was great.  I am going to book another Princess Cruise. 

Edited by AF-1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jean95404 said:

When I took my grandsons on a Princess cruise last year I was quite surprised by the change of the food in the main dining room since the previous year when I went on a Princess cruise with my granddaughters.  The soup at lunch was a gelatinous concoction that tasted like all of the leftover veggies from the night before had been run through the Vitamix.  I've booked a 15-day cruise to Hawaii for later this year but having to pay double occupancy for just myself, I think I might need to work on my expectations so as to not be grumpy about any possible downgrades. 

Food is one thing that seems to depend a lot on who the head chef is. If you get a good one, the food will be great. If the head chef is just "putting in his time", the food will suffer.

44 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Food is one thing that seems to depend a lot on who the head chef is. If you get a good one, the food will be great. If the head chef is just "putting in his time", the food will suffer.

What you say does make some sense except that on the Royal class ships they always seem to have great chefs no matter when you cruise. Could it be that the newer ships always seem to get the better chefs while the not so good ones get put on the older ships. 😏

3 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

What you say does make some sense except that on the Royal class ships they always seem to have great chefs no matter when you cruise. Could it be that the newer ships always seem to get the better chefs while the not so good ones get put on the older ships. 😏

I wouldn't be surprised.

Oscar (don't know his last name) was the Maitre D' on the Pacific and he said they'd have to drag him off kicking & screaming. They didn't need to drag him off...they offered him the newest ship (Sky?) and he left the Pacific. He's a fantastic Maitre D' and one crazy funny guy.

All I know is on Caribbean Princess this week all the food was good. I spoke with the head chef. He was very nice and he and I talked about some of the items that were on menu.  I ran into him up in buffet and we walked around the buffet and he explained a few of the main items that were out.  The have fresh fish from the islands. They had a fajita bar set up every day.  That was nice. They would have a raw shrimp bar almost everyday.  So I am very pleased with the offerings.  

35 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I wouldn't be surprised.

Oscar (don't know his last name) was the Maitre D' on the Pacific and he said they'd have to drag him off kicking & screaming. They didn't need to drag him off...they offered him the newest ship (Sky?) and he left the Pacific. He's a fantastic Maitre D' and one crazy funny guy.

There you go. He's one on the better Maitre D' s around and I've not heard any complaints about him yet.

I hope he stays with the Sky Princess for a while.