Deck 8 Owner's Suites on R class

LesSails80435

We have booked a 'combo cruise' Athens-Athens-Dubai for 2020 aboard Nautica. (Maybe someone could explain to me why this isn't a back-to-back?) At any rate, the OS we would have preferred (Deck 7) wasn't available for both legs, so we opted for Deck 8 (8067) so we wouldn't have to change. Now DH is worried about noise from tables and chairs and cleaning on the Terrace (right above). (When we checked on availability of Deck 7 on one leg, Oceania told our TA that they would have to cancel and rebook as two cruises, thus losing some $2500 of discount that the 'combo' fare provided.--huh?) Anyway, I'm sure some time ago there must have been a thread on this suite location, but I can't find it.

Can someone who has been on any R class and in 8067 or 8064 comment on any annoyance in this location? I know it can be an issue on the Oceania Suites aft on Deck 11, under the Terrace.

By the way, we booked this prior to having to move from one Oceania Suite on Riviera to the one next door (we added one leg late), and the housekeeping staff and butler took care of moving everything--on hangars and all. It wasn't the hassle we were anticipating.

1 hour ago, LesSails80435 said:

We have booked a 'combo cruise' Athens-Athens-Dubai for 2020 aboard Nautica. (Maybe someone could explain to me why this isn't a back-to-back?) At any rate, the OS we would have preferred (Deck 7) wasn't available for both legs, so we opted for Deck 8 (8067) so we wouldn't have to change. Now DH is worried about noise from tables and chairs and cleaning on the Terrace (right above). (When we checked on availability of Deck 7 on one leg, Oceania told our TA that they would have to cancel and rebook as two cruises, thus losing some $2500 of discount that the 'combo' fare provided.--huh?) Anyway, I'm sure some time ago there must have been a thread on this suite location, but I can't find it.

Can someone who has been on any R class and in 8067 or 8064 comment on any annoyance in this location? I know it can be an issue on the Oceania Suites aft on Deck 11, under the Terrace.

By the way, we booked this prior to having to move from one Oceania Suite on Riviera to the one next door (we added one leg late), and the housekeeping staff and butler took care of moving everything--on hangars and all. It wasn't the hassle we were anticipating.

If a two segment cruise is not marketed by Oceania as an "extended journey" (with a single booking number and discounted in comparison to the total cost of the two independent segments), you can make a custom "extended journey" (also discounted) as would be the case with the two segments you are booking. I know this because we're considering this same combination (though we may wait to see what the itinerary will be after Dubai (TBA mid-April)).

As for the "B2B" issue, Oceania doesn't typically allow the sale of two adjacent segments as separate cruises since, theoretically, you could decide to take the RT air credit for each segment ($ loss to O). Instead, they sell "extended journeys" where you get a discounted fare and only the one to/from airfare or air credit.

There are other pluses/minuses to "extended journeys." Depending on the length of each segment, it can affect how many cruise credits you get. On the other hand, you do get a head start on restaurant reservations vs others taking the second segment and you have more flexibility in buying booze packages that are for one or both segments.

As for the noise issue on deck 8, I can't help you. We're small yacht sailors and find the B veranda cabins plenty big for our needs (thus allowing us to afford more O cruises each year). Nonetheless, I'd be asking the same question you are.

Oceania  has decided  in it's wisdom if you book 2 consecutive cruises  they treat them as one

You do get  a discount on the airfare  as you are not using the air the middle of the cruises

not sure if there is  a further  discounted amount or not

When this happened  to us  our TA pushed to get 2 separate bookings

we took the air credit for both  but there was not B2B  discount a that time  like there had been in the past

Maybe your TA could give a O  a push  to get  the 2 separate bookings numbers/cabins & maybe  a discount 

worth a try

We were in 8067 way back in 2005 and I don't recall hearing noise from above.  Of course it's so long ago that I could be wrong!  But I also had just torn my meniscus the day before boarding the ship in Barcelona and had other problems on my mind!!  Because of my handicap, however, we did spend more time than usual in the suite.

Mura

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Oceania  has decided  in it's wisdom if you book 2 consecutive cruises  they treat them as one

You do get  a discount on the airfare  as you are not using the air the middle of the cruises

not sure if there is  a further  discounted amount or not

When this happened  to us  our TA pushed to get 2 separate bookings

we took the air credit for both  but there was not B2B  discount a that time  like there had been in the past

Maybe your TA could give a O  a push  to get  the 2 separate bookings numbers/cabins & maybe  a discount 

worth a try

Ain't gonna happen. 

Interesting discussion. I had mentioned on these boards not that long ago that we had a 14 day cruise on Marina as recently as Oct/Nov last year. Originally we booked it as a 14 day cruise but later changed it into two 7 day cruises with separate booking numbers.

We didn’t get a B2B discount but it worked out FAR better for us as two separate cruises.

We now have a cruise booked from MC to Barcelona for Nov 2020 and plan on booking the next segment TA when it opens for booking. As we already have a booking number will they book it for us as a separate segment with a different booking number or will they combine it as a grand voyage?

We’ll see.

Edited by Paulchili

In May 2018,  we were on 2 consecutive 7 days cruises.  We booked them at the same time (in 2017), but with 2 different travel agents.....the 1st week was booked with my local TA, and the 2nd week we booked with my university alumni TA.  Both TAs were aware of each other.  I had 2 booking numbers as well as a 5% discount on both cruises.  On my invoices, the 5% is detailed as "Back To Back Savings".  Interestingly, O also offered the 14-days as a stand alone cruise.  If I recall correctly, the 14-day cruise was a bit cheaper (perhaps $75pp net).   We valued the positives (2 cruise credits, 8 vs 4 specialties, travel with Alum group) as well worth the $75pp.

25 minutes ago, CruisingIGo said:

We valued the positives (2 cruise credits, 8 vs 4 specialties, travel with Alum group) as well worth the $75pp.

Same here. In addition to getting 2 cruise credits we got our Plat benefits X 2. One of the cruises had additional TA PPGs which meant we got it as additional OBC; also that cruise went down in price and we were able to get that discount. None of those would be true if it was a single 14 day cruise.

The odds are that there is a minor difference given the shape of the ship.  I'm guessing that the higher up suites have more room.  We were on Deck 8, just below the Bridge??  Maybe?

Just looked at the deck plans and it looks like I had backwards, except that the owners' suites are all listed as having 1000 sf. Look at the deck plans for yourself. https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/insignia/

This one is for Insignia but it shouldn't be any different for the other "R" ships.

The square footage estimates for the suites is significant whatever deck you are on.  We were very impressed with the size of the veranda, and the room itself was plenty for us.  Bear in mind that I was using a wheelchair on that cruise because of my torn meniscus and I had no trouble negotiating the room in a wheelchair -- had we been in our originally booked PH, I couldn't have done that.

Mura

Just now, LesSails80435 said:

Thanks very much. Is there any difference in the size of the aft OS deck between Decks 6, 7, and 8?

deck space is bigger on deck 6 than deck 8  due to the shape of the superstructure

I am sure Jim has a photo  here someplace 😉

this  the side view   deck 6 is just above the blue line

the deck space at the back gets smaller as  you go up a deck

image.thumb.png.f1296c3838dbfe20d98ced893d95a34c.png

2 hours ago, Mura said:

This new system is really frustrating me since it insists that I like to my previous post ...

Which when talking to DH at dinner I realized that I was thinking the OS was in front whereas of course it's in the BACK.  So much of what I said should be ignored ...

We did love the suite.  The only time we've ever been in an OS although we've been in Vistas and Oceania Suites on the bigger ships several times.

Mura