Medical Evacuation quote seems too cheap

zitsky

I was researching trip insurance plans for a cruise in September.  The average price was about $1,000.  That's medical insurance, evacuation coverage, trip insurance, cancellation etc.  

My partner encouraged me to look at medical evacuation plans since we do both have medical insurance from work.  I found an AIG Med Evac plan which includes medical and "unlimited" medical evacuation for only $77.  That seems too cheap to me.  I will call insuremytrip which is where I found this.  Does this sound like a reasonable price for two people in their early 50's on a 2 week cruise?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Most medical evacuations would take you back to US.  I am going to make a few calls.  This seems too good to be true.

You should definitely check that the terms are specifically worded this way, regardless of whether there are "suitable" facilities closer to where the sick/injured person is...

GC

Many evacuation policies will transport you to the nearest appropriate hospital. In the Caribbean that is commonly Miami.  In the Baltic it could be Germany. Some will get you back to the US but perhaps not to your home city.  Look for a plan that will get you to where you want to go.  Medjet Assist is worth a look. 

On February 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM, zitsky said:

I was researching trip insurance plans for a cruise in September.  The average price was about $1,000.  That's medical insurance, evacuation coverage, trip insurance, cancellation etc.  

My partner encouraged me to look at medical evacuation plans since we do both have medical insurance from work.  I found an AIG Med Evac plan which includes medical and "unlimited" medical evacuation for only $77.  That seems too cheap to me.  I will call insuremytrip which is where I found this.  Does this sound like a reasonable price for two people in their early 50's on a 2 week cruise?

Zitsky, 

Ive been looking at Evacuation coverage too, for a transatlantic cruise in April.  

I too found the "evacuation only" prices to be cheaper than I expected. I read that it's recommended to have a minimum of 100k evacuation coverage, but even that didn't increase the price all that much. 

I have not checked medjet, yet (the one that Flightmedic555 mentioned. 

Will you please share what information you have found out; I sure would appreciate it.   Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, RTR08 said:

Zitsky, 

Ive been looking at Evacuation coverage too, for a transatlantic cruise in April.  

I too found the "evacuation only" prices to be cheaper than I expected. I read that it's recommended to have a minimum of 100k evacuation coverage, but even that didn't increase the price all that much. 

I have not checked medjet, yet (the one that Flightmedic555 mentioned. 

Will you please share what information you have found out; I sure would appreciate it.   Thanks! 

Ok but I don't know much more.  Mostly researching regular policies.