Drink packages on cruises out of Galveston

ghoundlvr

I was doing some research for our upcoming cruise on Liberty in April out of Galveston.  I noticed that some of the other cruise line's passengers were commenting on no alcohol being served on Sunday when sailing out of Texas until in international waters.  Therefore, some of the other lines didn't start their deluxe drink packages until the next day since alcohol couldn't be served.  It appeared that RCCL was basing their pricing off the full 7 days, so I called to confirm.  They told me that indeed no alcohol can be served (not even beer or wine) until later that night when we reach international waters due to Texas law and there is no change in the drink package charges since the deluxe drink packages include freshly squeezed juices.  It seem a bit expensive to pay for a drink package for that day for only juices.  Can anybody comment on when they were able to serve alcohol when sailing out of Galveston?  Is it possible to purchase the drink package on day 2 onboard?

Thanks,

Brenda

You received incorrect info.

Royal's drink packages are honored as soon as you get on the ship.  However, the types of alcohol available is limited until they are out of Texas waters.

Royal allows you to purchase the package as long as there are at least 4 days left in the cruise.

I have cruised out of Galveston twice and unless something changed VERY recently - that’s just not true...

RCI can only serve liquor/beer/wine PURCHASED in Texas when they are in Texas. So until that night - there will be a more limited menu - but there is plenty on it to get by without really feeling the impact. Sure - there isn’t multiple types of rum or vodka to choose from - but there is rum and vodka etc...

Somewhere you will be able to find a picture of the Day 1 Bar Items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your original post you mention "on Sunday".  For the other cruiselines that don't allow you to use the drink package until the next day when sailing out of Texas, it doesn't matter the day of the week in regards to this.

Just an FYI

On a side note, they wont serve fresh fruit in drinks either. I was a bit perplexed when a bar tender told me they couldn't serve limes. 

I totally forgot about that part! Apparently the fruit is not Texas stamped/purchased so can’t be used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to confirm that the drinks package goes into effect on the first day in Galveston,  I understand the menu is limited to liquor that was taxed in Texas, but that's not a problem for us.  When we sailed Carnival out of Galveston, the drinks package didn't start until day two.  It was priced that way, but that effected my calculation on our break-even point on the package.  The first day is one of our heavier drinking days.  We need a welcome aboard drink, a sail away drink, a sunset drink, etc.

Well it definitely has been in effect  in the many Galveston cruises I've been on, but as has been said the drinks are IMHO VERY limited. I couldn't get a dirty banana b/c they didn't have Texas purchased Bananas I guess and I'm not sure they had any coffee liqueur.  I asked for a couple of other drinks... nothing out of this world exotic or odd, and they guy kept saying "we have margaritas." WELLLLLL gee thanks."  You can't "call" a brand. You get Vodka. You'd think Tito's would be easily and cheaply purchased in Texas but nope. Some crap brand. (granted YOUR crap brand and my crap brand may be quite different) and VERY limited beer selections too. But there are enough choices I guess for embarkation lunch drinks, sail away drinks, dinner drinks etc it you're not picky about your beverages or brands.