Ship by Ship Internet Plans

richwmn

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Could have just been my experience on that ship, I don't know.

Where were you at the time? High latitudes generally offer a poor connection. On our Viking Passage on E'dam a couple of years ago we got no connection at all for a while between Iceland and Greenland.

4 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Where were you at the time? High latitudes generally offer a poor connection. On our Viking Passage on E'dam a couple of years ago we got no connection at all for a while between Iceland and Greenland.

hmm, not sure. It was the last week of the VOV, so we were probably getting close to Canada.  The thing was, our "surf" plan had been working just fine the whole 30 days prior.  The only difference was that the "streaming" didn't allow us to "stream" any more than the "surf" had. 

11 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

It may also have been the position of the ship vis  a vis the satellite transmission.  We had no internet connection at times when we were in the Pacific Ocean, and the explanation was the location of the satellite transmission.

Sorry, didn't see your post.  My answer to Carol pretty much answers yours too, we had great connection, but we weren't able to "stream" or FaceTime any better than we had with "surf".  

28 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sorry, didn't see your post.  My answer to Carol pretty much answers yours too, we had great connection, but we weren't able to "stream" or FaceTime any better than we had with "surf".  

Were you able to watch the videos on Facebook?   I had the unlimited surf plan on the Rotterdam for Canada/New England the cruise after yours.  It worked very well the whole time, but the videos on Facebook didn't load.  I only cared for my sister to see the videos of her granddaughter.

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

Were you able to watch the videos on Facebook?   I had the unlimited surf plan on the Rotterdam for Canada/New England the cruise after yours.  It worked very well the whole time, but the videos on Facebook didn't load.  I only cared for my sister to see the videos of her granddaughter.

No I wasn't, and that's the whole reason I upgraded that last week, thinking we could. No better than it had been with the Surf (which was great for everything else)  🙂  I had a lot of videos to watch after getting back 😉  

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

No I wasn't, and that's the whole reason I upgraded that last week, thinking we could. No better than it had been with the Surf (which was great for everything else)  🙂  I had a lot of videos to watch after getting back 😉  

Ok, thanks!  I guess there is no reason to pay more and get the same.  Surf it is for this summer.

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

On 5/29/18 Haboob reported having unlimited on Eurodam

On 11/18/18 Liamur14 said

"Maasdam: While on board ( Polyhnesia Idyll ) ,I was offered 20$ for 3 days of surfing, log in from both phones and macs. This was offered on line once I commited to paying for 1 day for 15$. I was surprised and took it. It was pretty slow but still okay."

Thanks, John. With these reports all ships are accounted for as having unlimited, 3 tier internet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam in KY said:

Can you use texting on the "surf" plan...can you access any web sites?    We would have no use for the streaming on the premium so was wondering about the surf plan.  

On previous cruises I purchased the premium plan. On my current cruise I got the "Surf" or middle plan. It has been more than enough for my needs. Once or twice I found myself blocked from a web site, but I don't remember which ones although they surprised me. Someone mentioned that Duck Duck Go is blocked but I haven't tried.

As far as texting, you shouldn't have any trouble with most texting apps. I tried What'a App voice calling with a friend and was surprised that it went thru without any trouble.

8 minutes ago, sweet angel said:

Okay, so the two photos here seem to have different pricing.  For a 7-night voyage, would premium be $140 or $210?

Has anyone tried to use Wi-Fi calling with the internet?  I've found it works on some cruiselines and not others.  

I can't find the second photo you are talking about, but the chart in post 20 is correct. A 7 day cruise premium plan would be $139.99.

As far as WiFi calling, I have used both What's App voice and Vonage VOIP on the premium plan. I have also used What's App voice on the surf plan.

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I can't find the second photo you are talking about, but the chart in post 20 is correct. A 7 day cruise premium plan would be $139.99.

As far as WiFi calling, I have used both What's App voice and Vonage VOIP on the premium plan. I have also used What's App voice on the surf plan.

Post 22 is the second photo I was talking about.   Wow...$139.99 is surprisingly reasonable!  And it's unlimited?  That's great!!

I've never tried WhatsApp, but in the past on some other lines I've been able to use my phone's wifi-calling feature (along with texting).  Thanks!