Orient Beach Update

balanceok

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

We were just there last Wed and honestly, as much as we love Orient and have been there many times, we were saddened this time.  Just not the same feeling.  Lots of erosion, higher prices and was super windy last Wed.  We rented at Kon Tiki.  Chairs/umbrellas that used to be $18 with 2 drinks are now $30 and no drinks.  Bucket of 6 beers used to be $15 are now $20 and very little to choose from.  I think they only had 4 choices.  Bathrooms were very clean.  

We go back to SMX in Sept on Freedom and have decided after all these years to try a different beach.  Will eventually go back to Orient, but not for now.   Not enough people, really quiet compared to what it used to be.  Hoping it comes back to life again, but for now, we will try some other beach and see if we can find our "new" favorite beach in SMX

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing whatever insurance the businesses along Orient Beach had probably wasn't enough to cover the costs of rebuilding after the hurricane damage. So, at least for now, they've raised prices to try to get enough money to rebuild. We're booked on a cruise that goes to St. Maarten in March of 2020. As it gets closer to our sail date, I'll try to get some updated information on the area. If things aren't much better by then, we may have to consider a different beach.

49 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing whatever insurance the businesses along Orient Beach had probably wasn't enough to cover the costs of rebuilding after the hurricane damage. So, at least for now, they've raised prices to try to get enough money to rebuild. We're booked on a cruise that goes to St. Maarten in March of 2020. As it gets closer to our sail date, I'll try to get some updated information on the area. If things aren't much better by then, we may have to consider a different beach.

The only way that Orient Beach and the rest of the island  is going to be able to rebuild is by tourists visiting it and spending money.  

We were at Kon-Tiki the first week in April and unlike some of the other posters, we LOVED the quiet. All the chairs were new, yes a little more to rent, but to sit in the quiet and have that spectacular view all day was worth it to us. Not much seaweed at all and hardly windy so all that varies from day to day I guess. As much as I hate the devastation that happened I think the rebuilding is going to be a good thing. Many of the venues were really starting to get run down and it appears that they are going slightly more upscale in the building process. We'll definitely be back the next time we are in St. Maarten/St. Martin.

We, too, were at Orient Beach last week and were so dismayed by the hurricane destruction. This was once the most beautiful place on the planet. It's heartbreaking to see it the way it is now, but we still had a good time there last week and donated as much as I could afford to help towards the rebuilding.  Some day, it will get back to the way it used to be, but that is a long, long way off I'm afraid.

19 hours ago, jordanaire said:

We, too, were at Orient Beach last week and were so dismayed by the hurricane destruction. This was once the most beautiful place on the planet. It's heartbreaking to see it the way it is now, but we still had a good time there last week and donated as much as I could afford to help towards the rebuilding.  Some day, it will get back to the way it used to be, but that is a long, long way off I'm afraid.

Same it, it made me sad.  Loved that place, but we won't go back for a while.  In Sept I think we are going to try Little Bay Beach instead

• 2 months later...

We absolutely LOVED Orient Beach - we arrived in port and walked to the TAXI Stand.   All 7 of us got into a mini-van for $8 per person.   It was about a 20-25 min drive to the beach.  The driver pointed out the nude section........but dropped us off at the KON_TIKI beach club.    Everything was brand new.     The bathrooms were very clean and modern.   The bar was wonderful.  We rented 3 sets of umbrellas and lounge chairs with cushions.  THey were $20 each set.......so $60 total.      The beach was beautiful....little to no sea grass and it was not too choppy.  Water was warm and clear.  We snorkeled right off the beach, but there was not too much to see in the way of sea life.  We snorkeled down the beach and arrived at the nude section.....yes lots of nudes!  Hey to each his/her own and I was not offended in any way.    We did find some pretty cool shells that were confiscated as we reboarded the ship  so don't bother.   

The next closest beach club was way down the beach.   Some in our group walked down there to price the water toys that could be rented there.  They were pricy so we did not utilize.   The best part of the day was  the food.    It was a bit pricy, but absolutely the best part of the day.......fish tacos, poke bowl,  egg rolls and pad thai!!!   SOOOOOO good and so much better than just burgers or sandwiches.  Buckets of beer were reasonable and the day was just right.  HIGHLY recommend!    We pre-arranged for our driver to pick us up at 3:30 and he was waiting for us.   Here are a few pictures from our day.  I highly recommend if you want a low key....stress free day.

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

• Like 1