FITNESS WEAR

pam32310

Leaving on 7 day cruise on Breeze Saturday.  For the first time, want to take advantage of the gym.  Always use the spa but feel somewhat intimidated in the gym.  I'm a young 67 and out of shape.  Not awfully but overweight for sure.  I want to look nice and would like some suggestions as what to wear.  tee shirt and below the knee leggings?

I would wear what you are comfortable in for movement.  For myself, I don't even notice what others are wearing unless their shirt has a really cool saying.  I think most of us are focused on our own workout and not fashion choices 😉 I tend to wear capri length (at the knee or mid-calf) leggings and my husband wears basketball shorts.  He prefers a moisture wicking UnderArmor or Columbia loose fitting t-shirt while I prefer a closer fit to my shirt (also moisture wicking).  I do find the gym tends to be very warm, so whatever you wear should be breathable/moisture wicking (no cotton t-shirts).

Most gyms have hand towels that you can use to wipe off with or lay between you and the equipment.  It is also customary to wipe down what you use with an anti-bac wipe (there should be several stations of them).  There should be water available to fill your own tumbler and glasses if you forget your own.

Enjoy your cruise and your workouts!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 9:39 AM, pam32310 said:

Leaving on 7 day cruise on Breeze Saturday.  For the first time, want to take advantage of the gym.  Always use the spa but feel somewhat intimidated in the gym.  I'm a young 67 and out of shape.  Not awfully but overweight for sure.  I want to look nice and would like some suggestions as what to wear.  tee shirt and below the knee leggings?

Leggings, without something over them, should be banned from all gyms.  Ladies, seriously, we do not want to see "everything".  It's disgusting and un-ladylike. 

Spandex is NOT a right.

Edited by SeaTheW0rld

15 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Leggings, without something over them, should be banned from all gyms.  Ladies, seriously, we do not want to see "everything".  It's disgusting and un-ladylike. 

Spandex is NOT a right.

I respectfully have to disagree with this and could say the same thing about a few men I've seen in their speedos. Seriously, ugh.

Pam32310 - wear what you are comfortable in while you are exercising. Whatever clothing motivates you to move is what you should wear. Seriously, I don't even notice what most people wear to the gym, as I focus on what I am doing. I was at the gym about 4 hours ago, and I couldn't tell you what anyone had on, even if I tried, except I noticed my best friend had new shoes.  🙂

• Like 4

6 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

I respectfully have to disagree with this and could say the same thing about a few men I've seen in their speedos. Seriously, ugh.

Pam32310 - wear what you are comfortable in while you are exercising. Whatever clothing motivates you to move is what you should wear. Seriously, I don't even notice what most people wear to the gym, as I focus on what I am doing. I was at the gym about 4 hours ago, and I couldn't tell you what anyone had on, even if I tried, except I noticed my best friend had new shoes.  🙂

It would seem you agree with me about spandex ot being a right. I've yet to see anyone in a speedo at the gym. I've seen more camel toes than I can shake a camel at, though.

But I do believe this: If you got it, flaunt it.  If you don't (and most don't) keep it covered. 

Perhaps you should try focusing more on your workout and less on other people.  I'm like @angie7911922 that I rarely notice what others are wearing - and even less so on a cruise when I'm focusing on keeping my balance if the seas are rough.

I don't enjoy seeing hairy armpits or bellies that don't stay covered by a shirt, but I know how to avert my eyes or change my position so I don't have to see it.

@pam32310, I hope you had a great cruise and were comfortable in whatever you wore for your workouts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Perhaps you should try focusing more on your workout and less on other people.  I'm like @angie7911922 that I rarely notice what others are wearing - and even less so on a cruise when I'm focusing on keeping my balance if the seas are rough.

I don't enjoy seeing hairy armpits or bellies that don't stay covered by a shirt, but I know how to avert my eyes or change my position so I don't have to see it.

@pam32310, I hope you had a great cruise and were comfortable in whatever you wore for your workouts.

So you do notice...

I said that I rarely notice, but when I do I don't need to focus on it and rather finish my workout and let others complete their workout.

I thought that is what the fitness center is for - staying fit - not "flaunting" what you've got or focusing on what others are wearing🙄

Wow!  I didn't know this question would start a riot.  I did enjoy the cruise thanks and I wore leggings with a sports bra and below the bottom tank.  I didn't pay attention to what others were wearing but I certainly didn't want to look out of place.  No camel toe and no speedo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

I wear something like this to the ship's gym.  Or up on the track to powerwalk.  Our cruises have been in the Caribbean so I don't like getting too overheated. Plus, spandex type wear tends to dry out quicker so I can wash it and wear it again in a day or so.  I hope you had a wonderful cruise!

IMG_1320.jpg