Deciding between Azamara interior and Celebrity balcony

SarahDevorah

I  have not cruised in about 30 years. When I did it was Royal Caribbean and only to the Caribbean. I will be cruising  to the Mediterranean with a new cruiser who tends to get seasick in small boats. We have been going over itineraries and ships and have narrowed it down to the  Azamara or Celebrity. They both look great but the itinerary on the Azamara Pursuit looks pretty spectacular.  However, I don’t think we can afford a balcony on the Azamara.  We can on the celebrity as long as the price will hold for a little while. We’re pretty destination oriented but at the same time we’re both a little bit claustrophobic. Not desperately so, but enough. I’d really like some advice. 

When I cruised years ago I had an Ocean view  and did fine. But my partner is more claustrophobic than I am. 

If anyone has advice I’d really love it! We both very much want great destination experiences.  I guess in a way the experience on the ship is equally important for us as they experience in the ports but I think for me personally it’s the destination that wins.

This may be the one of two trips (I pray at least)  that we ever get to take. Please help if you can. Thanks! 

Comparing Azamara & Celebrity cruises is akin to apples and oranges. As a premium line, Azamara provide more in the base fare than mainstream lines.

To get a true cost comparison you need to consider the base fare plus what you anticipate your bill will include at the end of the cruise. Don't have experience with Azamara, but when comparing our next Viking Cruise with a similar previous cruise on Princess (both balcony cabins), the total cost of cruise, airfares and onboard spend will be virtually identical. However, the Viking bases fare is 50% higher.

Regardless, I would always opt for a premium or luxury line over a mega ship, mainstream line. The quality of service and meals, additional space, no selling, access to smaller ports, etc always gets our vote.

Since you last cruised 30 years ago, cruising, especially on mainstream lines has changed significantly. They are now appealing to a significantly wider market and while the ships have increased dramatically in size, quality & standards have dropped significantly.

Just my opinion and preferences and I am sure you will get many that favour the mega ships.

Enjoy the cruise.

18 hours ago, SarahDevorah said:

I  have not cruised in about 30 years. When I did it was Royal Caribbean and only to the Caribbean. I will be cruising  to the Mediterranean with a new cruiser who tends to get seasick in small boats. We have been going over itineraries and ships and have narrowed it down to the  Azamara or Celebrity. They both look great but the itinerary on the Azamara Pursuit looks pretty spectacular.  However, I don’t think we can afford a balcony on the Azamara.  We can on the celebrity as long as the price will hold for a little while. We’re pretty destination oriented but at the same time we’re both a little bit claustrophobic. Not desperately so, but enough. I’d really like some advice. 

When I cruised years ago I had an Ocean view  and did fine. But my partner is more claustrophobic than I am. 

If anyone has advice I’d really love it! We both very much want great destination experiences.  I guess in a way the experience on the ship is equally important for us as they experience in the ports but I think for me personally it’s the destination that wins.

This may be the one of two trips (I pray at least)  that we ever get to take. Please help if you can. Thanks! 

We cruise mostly with Azamara, but have also taken 8 or so Celebrity cruises, all within the last 5 years.  Both are fairly similar in their ship culture, especially in the Mediterranean.  You will be paying for soft and alcoholic drinks, bottled water and coffees on Celebrity (apart from the basics on tap in the café) unless you have a drinks package included, so that may tip the balance a little, as Azamara drinks are included, and Azamara wines are generally pretty good and you get cocktails, soft drinks, bottled water and coffees included too - at all times of the day.  I get seasick in high seas (meclizine on standby!), and the Azamara ships are great for me as they don't rock from side to side but act like a "real" ship, whereas I find that Celebrity and Viking ships sway more, so bigger is not necessarily better.  Three cruises in the Mediterranean last September/October and the sea was as calm as could be.  Pursuit is new to Azamara, and seems to have a few problems yet to be ironed out reading the reviews, but it should soon be getting up to scratch with the other two: Quest and Journey we have been on a number of times.  Which Celebrity ships were you considering?  They do vary - the Millennium class ships are older and a little smaller, and the Solstice class are larger and a little more sophisticated - but the crew are good on all these ships.  The Edge class I have no experience of yet. The nice thing about both lines is that you are looked after well, which is important to us, and the crew are professional, hardworking and friendly, soon getting to know your likes, your name, etc.  Food is a little better on Azamara, especially so if you plan to eat in the café rather than the restaurant, but Celebrity has more variety. Both have sunset decks to eat outside: which is lovely if you are in the Med. The Pool Grill is fab. on Azamara, and you can take food to the back deck from there too. It will take you longer to disembark at each port on any Celebrity ship, especially when tendering, simply due to the number of passengers, and also because you will not have priority disembarkation, as many others will.  I would always choose a balcony, as I love to get up early in the morning to see each new port appear, spot dolphins etc, and sit out there each evening for sailaway, but it is easy to go up on top deck, or out on deck 5 and do the same.  If you are taking advantage of all the entertainment and facilities onboard, you may be spending very little time in your cabin anyway. None of the Azamara or Celebrity ships have felt claustrophobic at any time to us.  The library on the Azamara ships is a haven of peace. A sea day may be busy by the pool.  Both have great entertainment.  Azamara also has the white night party, plus an Azamazing evening excursion. Both lines are smart casual rather than formal. Their captains are fantastic, visible and inclusive. Go for the best itinerary every time.  Whichever you choose, I do hope you have a wonderful time. PS Both the Celebrity and  Azamara musicians and house bands are great! 

Edited by Borderlander123
Adding more text
  • Like 3

The best thing to do would be to ask your roommate if he/she would be OK in an interior.

Although I tend to have only slight claustrophobia, I would rather take a Carnival balcony as opposed to any super-over-the-top luxury inside. I would not enjoy the cruise.

Edited by BDRebel
  • Like 1

There is another major issue on comparing the two lines.  Azamara operates 3 of the old "R:" ships which are considered small ships (by todays standards).  Small  vessels have some advantages and also disadvantages.   The Solstice and Edge Class of Celebrity ships are large  vessels which offer more options.  Personally, we love the advantages of small ship cruising....although we also cruise on many mega ships.   If we had to choose between a balcony on a large Celebrity ship or an inside on a small Azamara we would either take the Celebrity balcony.....or push the budget and book an Azamara balcony.

Hank

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 1:19 PM, Borderlander123 said:

We cruise mostly with Azamara, but have also taken 8 or so Celebrity cruises, all within the last 5 years.  Both are fairly similar in their ship culture, especially in the Mediterranean.  You will be paying for soft and alcoholic drinks, bottled water and coffees on Celebrity (apart from the basics on tap in the café) unless you have a drinks package included, so that may tip the balance a little, as Azamara drinks are included, and Azamara wines are generally pretty good and you get cocktails, soft drinks, bottled water and coffees included too - at all times of the day.  I get seasick in high seas (meclizine on standby!), and the Azamara ships are great for me as they don't rock from side to side but act like a "real" ship, whereas I find that Celebrity and Viking ships sway more, so bigger is not necessarily better.  Three cruises in the Mediterranean last September/October and the sea was as calm as could be.  Pursuit is new to Azamara, and seems to have a few problems yet to be ironed out reading the reviews, but it should soon be getting up to scratch with the other two: Quest and Journey we have been on a number of times.  Which Celebrity ships were you considering?  They do vary - the Millennium class ships are older and a little smaller, and the Solstice class are larger and a little more sophisticated - but the crew are good on all these ships.  The Edge class I have no experience of yet. The nice thing about both lines is that you are looked after well, which is important to us, and the crew are professional, hardworking and friendly, soon getting to know your likes, your name, etc.  Food is a little better on Azamara, especially so if you plan to eat in the café rather than the restaurant, but Celebrity has more variety. Both have sunset decks to eat outside: which is lovely if you are in the Med. The Pool Grill is fab. on Azamara, and you can take food to the back deck from there too. It will take you longer to disembark at each port on any Celebrity ship, especially when tendering, simply due to the number of passengers, and also because you will not have priority disembarkation, as many others will.  I would always choose a balcony, as I love to get up early in the morning to see each new port appear, spot dolphins etc, and sit out there each evening for sailaway, but it is easy to go up on top deck, or out on deck 5 and do the same.  If you are taking advantage of all the entertainment and facilities onboard, you may be spending very little time in your cabin anyway. None of the Azamara or Celebrity ships have felt claustrophobic at any time to us.  The library on the Azamara ships is a haven of peace. A sea day may be busy by the pool.  Both have great entertainment.  Azamara also has the white night party, plus an Azamazing evening excursion. Both lines are smart casual rather than formal. Their captains are fantastic, visible and inclusive. Go for the best itinerary every time.  Whichever you choose, I do hope you have a wonderful time. PS Both the Celebrity and  Azamara musicians and house bands are great! 

Might I suggest that you use paragraphs.  Your post is unreadable.

DON