Travel Insurance Required

VK3DQ

On 3/14/2019 at 10:21 PM, cruisin-m said:

I would really like to know what would cause them to make such a sudden change and enforcing travel insurance specifically for cruises!

It's likely either- 
A- Someone was admitted to a hospital in New Caledonia, didn't have insurance and refused to foot the bill. 
B- Cruise lines have realised that insurance companies pay big commissions for sales and want to get a bigger slice of the pie.

As others have mentioned would love to know what the situation really is, I can't imagine them lining everyone up on the dock at Noumea and going through every single passengers paperwork, that would be a logistical nightmare.

Well cruisin-m, why don't you skip buying insurance for your next trip to Noumea and when you get there brag that you have no insurance and see what happens. That will prove your point......or otherwise.

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Well cruisin-m, why don't you skip buying insurance for your next trip to Noumea and when you get there brag that you have no insurance and see what happens. That will prove your point......or otherwise.

To be completely honest it wouldn't be at the biggest loss to me not getting off at Noumea anyway, been there way too many times. 

And why would I want to not buy insurance to brag about it? 🤔

That is lost on me and I have no idea what point you're trying to make. 

I'll be happy just using my credit card insurance as usual and not bragging about anything to anyone but enjoying my cruise! 

I have a friend who is on Radiance of the Seas in Noumea today. She was not asked at embarkation for travel insurance details. Her comment today was she heard immigration asked a few people from each deck. My friend has not asked. It seems to be random.