Travel Insurance Required

VK3DQ

On 2/24/2019 at 4:32 PM, Belmont Babe said:

I think the key word in this communication is "MAY" " (may be refused entry) not WILL. As far as I am aware, no checks have been made, either at embarkation in AU or NZ or on the dock in Noumea, as to whether any passenger has insurance. Mr GUT will be able to differentiate between the legal meaning of "may"  and "will".

Missed this, most acts (penalty and restriction clauses are written as May, gives the authorities wriggle room if they choose not to enforce.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, GUT2407 said:

Missed this, most acts (penalty and restriction clauses are written as May, gives the authorities wriggle room if they choose not to enforce.

You legal fraternity have a way with words.  I loved my defended matters, especially winding up the young solicitors and barristers.😋

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You legal fraternity have a way with words.  I loved my defended matters, especially winding up the young solicitors and barristers.😋

it is great fun, been a long time since I was a young white wig. Cant imagine a worse job than drafting legislation.

Can anyone who has been to Noumeaon  a ship in the past few weeks advise of their experience with this requirement, ie was it checked, enforced etc.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, adamj26 said:

Booked a south pacific and New Zealand trip on the 24/2 and was told by my travel agent I wouldn't be allowed into Noumea without travel insurance. 

I was asked about this 2 years ago by my TA also, don’t know how they vetted it though.

I would not dream of travelling without insurance

Cheers Carole 

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

I was asked about this 2 years ago by my TA also, don’t know how they vetted it though.

I would not dream of travelling without insurance

Cheers Carole 

I don’t know why anyone would risk it. My travel insurance is &144 for the 10days a lot better then having to pay a chopper off the ship. Even if you had the money to pay for it, travel insurance is still a lot cheaper

1 hour ago, adamj26 said:

I don’t know why anyone would risk it. My travel insurance is &144 for the 10days a lot better then having to pay a chopper off the ship. Even if you had the money to pay for it, travel insurance is still a lot cheaper

I wish I could get insurance for $144, but still way cheaper than the alternative.

5 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Friends are doing a transpacific and the insurance is $3.000.  

I’m guessing they have medical conditions for it being that high? Still a lot cheaper then paying for a chopper off the boat. 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I wish I could get insurance for $144, but still way cheaper than the alternative.

Cost us $1500 for a month, next month - cruise to Honoulu and 9 days post cruise there. Prexisting - heart etc.  NRMA/Covermore. Rejected by ANZ CC insurance - Allianz.  Got it with QBE before. 😫  Soon as you mention USA and 70, up she goes.

Next year another $1500 policy, 2 months away, cruise Syd to Singapore. 10 days in Singapore then 21 days cruise - SE Asia.  Such is life, you want to travel you pay the price.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

With three cruises booked in about span of four months, at the end of year, I think we’ll look at an annual policy.

Just stay out of USA mate, or you will need to re mortgage your place of abode in order to pay your travel insurance premium.:classic_ohmy:

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Just stay out of USA mate, or you will need to re mortgage your place of abode in order to pay your travel insurance premium.:classic_ohmy:

My quote when we were planning on doing Hawaii (35 nights) was triple (and a bit more) what I paid to circumnavigate Aus (33 nights).

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

My quote when we were planning on doing Hawaii (35 nights) was triple (and a bit more) what I paid to circumnavigate Aus (33 nights).

Thats because if you were transferred to a hospital it would be in Australia, and treatment in that hospital would be covered by medicare. 

42 minutes ago, adamj26 said:

Thats because if you were transferred to a hospital it would be in Australia, and treatment in that hospital would be covered by medicare. 

Yes I’m aware of that.