Travel Insurance Required

VK3DQ

Hi Folks

Had this in the mail today

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: We have been advised by New Caledonian authorities that guests who do not hold travel insurance covering medical expenses and repatriation may be refused entry into New Caledonia. Please ensure you take out appropriate travel insurance or you may not be able to go ashore in New Caledonia.
For U.S. and Canadian guests we invite you to consider our Platinum Cancellation Protection plan that provides coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services. For more detailed information on this plan please visit www.hollandamerica.com

Is this a new thing or just dastardly plot by the French

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

John I got one of those from Princess pre Xmas when I booked our Fiji tour for next Nov, and another one from Carnival when I booked a cheapy 10 day Islands cruise. I think it may be the French just being the French as any who have had anything to do with them can attest, although I do see their point. They may also just be paving the way for when the indigenous Kanaks inevitably gain independence, easier to establish the point now with the might of France behind them. 

As for my "the French just being the French" statement I don't wish to appear anti French, but their personality seems to change dependent on where they are and who you are. Outside of French territory they usually are charming friendly people, whereas on home turf can be downright arrogant pigs, claiming Non Anglaise when they can speak fluent English. In many areas their attitude will do a complete 180 degree turn when they find out you are an Aussie and not a Pommy, and turn into the most hospitable and friendly people you could hope to meet.

Edited by Russell21
CMA

Russell21. Was interested to see that you got an advice from Princess about this. Wife and I are on the Fiji cruise in November and have heard nothing from Princess. Not that it is a concern as we always have travel insurance anyway.

Never had it demanded of us, bet would stay home before I’d cruise without insurance, the risk is too great. (Never had to claim either).

a comparison is health insurance, paid for years, way more than I ever got back, then daughter needed her brain implant, just the leads (six by the time they ran a trial and then finalised it all) were $10k each (yep $60k for some wires) then surgeons, anethesist and operating theatre, two weeks all up in hospital at about $1200 a day, it’ll need replacing after ten years, if I pay into the fund for the rest of my life it’ll never catch up.

a friend had to be medivaced in Dubai total cost $250,000 from ship to shore,  a few weeks in hospital with his wife in a hotel was just under $100k, then private plane and doctors (two required) to Australia about the same, how many trips would you pay insurance for to cover that. (The friend didn’t have insurance but fortunately did have plenty of money) would have ruined me, a few questions after the even out of curiosity, if he had insurance he would have been out of pocket about $5,000. 

There was was no way he could have got insurance it was bucket list trip with only a few months to live. But it could have happened to the healthiest of us.

59 minutes ago, joybook said:

Russell21. Was interested to see that you got an advice from Princess about this. Wife and I are on the Fiji cruise in November and have heard nothing from Princess. Not that it is a concern as we always have travel insurance anyway.

It has been included in your Cruise Contract or whatever they call it.

You know the one, it's the thing that most people never read. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Russell21

1 hour ago, joybook said:

You are quite right Russell21. Yes I have found it. When I read your post and you said you got it in the mail I read it as though you had received an email specifically regarding the issue.

The one from Carnival was stand alone, whereas the one from Princess was as I stated above, in the cruise contract. 

I suppose it is my business background that dictates I read all correspondence, one never knows when something has been changed. At times it was commercial law experts who did the reading for me, yes plural experts.

A lesson learned from a competitor who, after being caught out in an undiscovered contract change, and losing his business, came to work for me. The client offered the contract to him, and when he wanted to study it in detail was told not to bother as it was the same as last time, it wasn't!

43 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

The one from Carnival was stand alone, whereas the one from Princess was as I stated above, in the cruise contract. 

I suppose it is my business background that dictates I read all correspondence, one never knows when something has been changed. At times it was commercial law experts who did the reading for me, yes plural experts.

A lesson learned from a competitor who, after being caught out in an undiscovered contract change, and losing his business, came to work for me. The client offered the contract to him, and when he wanted to study it in detail was told not to bother as it was the same as last time, it wasn't!

He may have had recourse due to the false representations, but probably way too late now.

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Why would you cruise without insurance anyway.  Travel insurance documents should be presented at check in, no insurance, no travel.

I actually don’t agree with that, some people are wealthy enough to self insure (unfortunately I’m not one of them).

24 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Be hard to police, what has to be covered.

what about someone with a pre existing condition they can’t get cover for, are they just banned from cruising?

It seems they would be banned from New Caledonia unless they have the necessary insurance.

5 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

It's only fair to be insured, I'm sure there is already a loading on our fares for the non paying on board treatments that occur, who wants the loading to be bigger.

I am not sure if there is such a loading but if there is, I would like it removed.

I think the key word in this communication is "MAY" " (may be refused entry) not WILL. As far as I am aware, no checks have been made, either at embarkation in AU or NZ or on the dock in Noumea, as to whether any passenger has insurance. Mr GUT will be able to differentiate between the legal meaning of "may"  and "will".