Cruise Directors (and other similar staff)?

GeezerCouple

Okay, this will sound really naive, and it is.

What DOES a Cruise Director DO?

And are there other senior staff who typically interact with passengers other than for difficulties, like a housekeeping problem, etc.?

(On Oceania, we haven't needed to get "extra assistance/backup" for anything like a cleaning or maintenance problem that wasn't fixed promptly.  For the most part, there just haven't been any problems :classic_smile: )

Reading the other thread about "who the cruise director is" reminded me of how we really dislike those announcements.  It's hard (impossible?) to know if whatever we can barely hear in our suite is "important" or just "noise".  By the time we get the sound on the TV, the announcement is usually almost over anyway.

On our first Oceania cruise, we went to few lectures about the upcoming ports, and we were totally turned off.  it seemed like not much more than shopping advertisements, which *really* surprised us on Oceania.  So we didn't bother to attend others.

However, on our next cruise, for the first time, we plan to do a few Oceania excursions.  Is the Cruise Director important with respect to those?

Many thanks!

GC

AFAIK  the CD  has to do with  the announcements & the running of the activities 

they usually do  amorning announcement  then one at noon with the Captain 

they will introduce the  shows in the evening   & some will announce other things during the day

they may also make announcements when the tenders are open to all etc..

Yes their are other that  are in charge of other thing  the GM is  the top dog  next to the Captain

head of housekeeping is in charge of  well you guessed it the housekeeping staff

Not all the lectures are on port shopping  some are actually interesting topics  .. but that is subjective  as you may or may not be interested in the lecture

Let’s not forget that the CDs run trivia - a very important activity to many - and they way each CD runs it does make it a very different event. A few of them have a one man/woman show. Some interact with passengers more than others; their overall attitude gives each cruise a little bit of their own flavor. Some have the knack of remembering past (or current) passengers’ names and they in turn appreciate it.

Let’s put it this way -we know who the CD is on every cruise and sometimes we are happier than other times about it; others have no clue who the CD is and couldn’t care less.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Let’s not forget that the CDs run trivia - a very important activity to many - and they way each CD runs it does make it a very different event. A few of them have a one man/woman show. Some interact with passengers more than others; their overall attitude gives each cruise a little bit of their own flavor. Some have the knack of remembering past (or current) passengers’ names and they in turn appreciate it.

Let’s put it this way -we know who the CD is on every cruise and sometimes we are happier than other times about it; others have no clue who the CD is and couldn’t care less.

We are among those who have no clue who the CD is, and that's why I'm asking... what are we missing out on?

And I mean that very genuinely!

Where would we even initially find this person?

Thanks.

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We are among those who have no clue who the CD is, and that's why I'm asking... what are we missing out on?

Thanks.

GC

The Cruise Director is the "host" of the ship as well as the face of Oceania, if need be.

Technically the CD's have an office but generally you will see them out and about interacting with the passengers.

They MC many of the shows, and will appear and usually speak at almost every Oceania sanctioned activity.

Many of us have become friendly with the CD's over the years, but restraint is necessary because they are paid to interact with as many of the passengers as possible.  While not an easy task on the 650 passenger R ships, this is truly tough on the 1250 passenger O ships.  

• Like 1

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

GC

If you need to know in advance  contact Oceania  & ask  who will be on your  sailing

Once onboard  it is noted on the Currents that is found in your Cabin

Usually a video playing on the TV  on the 1st  day & the CD  is on there

go to the show  & they will introduce themselves  after that you can recognize them as they are running around the ship ..some with purpose on their minds  😉

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I don’t think you’ll be missing anything necessarily if you do not interact with the CD.

Just see how it goes on your cruise and decide afterwards.

For example, we do not drink and therefore have no interactions with the bartenders and sommeliers - it is as if they were not even there. You may feel that way about the CD.

Edited by Paulchili