Tulum worth it if I don't think I'll ever return?

kren250

I've been researching excursions for my first cruise coming up. One of our port stops is Cozumel. It seems like it's usually recommended to stay on Cozumel, due to the ferry ride and the time it takes to get to the attractions on the mainland. But...I think it's unlikely I'll return to this part of Mexico again (too many other places on the travel bucket list), so I'm thinking maybe I should visit Tulum while I have the chance?

For those who have done the tour to Tulum from Cozumel, did you later wish you had just stayed on Cozumel, or were you glad you went?

We did Tulum on our honeymoon.  We enjoyed it.  The setting is beautiful right on the beach.  I wouldn't do it again but I am glad we went.  We also went to Chichen Itza on another cruise and enjoyed that a bit more.  Not sure if you will get a chance to visit other ruins anytime.  If not I say go for it.  

There are much better Mayan ruins in Belize and Progreso port area, as well as Costa Maya.  If you can, do ruins at one of those and skip Tulum.  It is a late late late Mayan city with very little area and small roped off bldgs -- not much to see or compare to other sites.  If you are interested in Mayan ruins, Tulum is not the one to see.  

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 1