Help! Classical Rome Private Railcar Tour on Regents 7 Seas?

TravelinGert

Can anyone fill me in on the Classical Rome Private Railcar tour offered by Regents Seven Seas? I have read the description and if I don't misunderstand we take the Roma Express from Civitavecchia to Rome where we board a coach bus. For some reason it takes you on a drive up to Colle Oppio and the Church of St Peter in Chains before The Colosseum and St Peter's.  What we are specifically looking to see in Rome is the Sistine Chapel and entering the Colosseum. If I read it correctly the Classical Rome by Private Railcar tour does not include the Sistine Chapel at all. A drive up to see the view from Colle Oppio after would be fine. I'm thinking considering there are three of us being asked to pay approximately $300 each for this tour we'd be better served with a Rome in Limo tour as for some reason this tour has us going to these later in the day when I expect them to be more crowded according to the description. Can anyone with experience fill us in?

Warning: Long description of the Classical Rome by Private Railcar:

CLASSICAL ROME BY PRIVATE RAILCAR

An exclusive and luxurious mode of transportation, the speedy Roma Express takes you in style through the marvelous countryside to Rome. Upon arrival, you will board a comfortable coach for a superb introduction to the city's major attractions. See Colle Oppio, a hill overlooking the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, and continue on to The Church of St. Peter in Chains, believed to contain the saint's prison chains. Inside you can admire Michelangelo's statue of Moses holding the Ten Commandments. Another must-see is the Colosseum, the largest amphitheater ever built in Rome. It was originally called the Flavian Amphitheater to honor the Royal Family Flavia, who built it. Construction started under the Emperor Vespasian in 72 A.D. and was finished during the reign of the Emperor Titus. Enter the site where Romans enjoyed spectacular shows of gladiatorial combats, fights with wild beasts and bloody games. The amphitheater once held as many as 50,000 people, who would watch the gruesome games. The tour continues in the Roman Forum, the religious, political and commercial centre of ancient Rome. Walk through the Sacred Way, along which victorious generals marched in triumph to the Curia. Also, see the altar where the body of Julius Caesar was cremated and from which Marc Anthony made his famous speech. Navona Square, one of Rome's most famous and centrally located, offers a perfect setting for lunch on your own. Afterwards, it's on to St. Peter's Square and St. Peter's Basilica, begun in 1452 on the site where St. Peter was buried. Throughout the following 200 years, such masters as Michelangelo, Raphael and Bernini worked on its design and created an unparalleled masterpiece. Admire the astonishing beauty of Michelangelo's most famous sculpture, the marble Pietà, and the marvelous bronze canopy over the high altar by Bernini.

Please note: In the event that St. Peter's Basilica is closed due to religious celebrations, guides will give commentary from outside. Guests will be required to wear suitable attire covering the knees and shoulders for the visit inside the Basilica. No shorts, sleeveless tops or other revealing clothing will be permitted. Cancellations made within 7 days of the tour's operating date will be under 100% penalty.

• Like 1

You might have more luck finding someone with actual experience with this excursion on the Regent forum.

I read it the same way you did, the Sistine Chapel is not included.  Frankly, with what they've laid out there wouldn't be enough time.

I suspect that the tour is laid out as it is, starting at Colle Oppio, because there is a tour bus parking area there.  Rome has a lot of restrictions on where tour buses can go.

It reads as though you get out of the bus there and walk to San Pietro in Vincoli, then on to the Colosseum and the Forum.  The next mention is Piazza Navona, so I would guess you reboard the bus after exiting the Forum and drive to Navona.  I think if you were going to walk some mention would be made of the Pantheon or some of the other sites along the way.

After lunch on your own in the Piazza Navona area it's back on the bus to St. Peter's.  Assuming that you take the train back to Civitavecchia rather than the bus you probably board it at the S. Pietro station.  It seems odd that they don't mention the return train, I would ask about that if it's important to you.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

I agree that if this tour doesn't exactly meet your own desired itinerary, you are better off arranging for one of the well-recommended private tours, where you can arrange your day as you wish.

Do keep in mind that entering both the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel will eat up most of your time due to the crowds. Do everything you can to minimize waiting (get your tickets in advance, but check with your tour company before booking them -- the Vatican tickets require a specific time, and the Colosseum tickets also have some restrictions attached depending on what type of ticket you're purchasing).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Do keep in mind that entering both the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel will eat up most of your time

I had thought that. The tour company I'm seeing recommended provides links and instructs you what tickets to book in advance in order to maximize your time including providing information on what time to book your Vatican ticket and what Colosseum ticket to buy depending on your desires so I think they're up to speed on what is involved. Or at least they certainly sound more organized than the tour through the cruise line. 

8 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You might have more luck finding someone with actual experience with this excursion on the Regent forum.

I posted here first because a previous post for information on this particular tour on the Regents forum met with people telling them to post here for more information. I think the correct answer is probably this isn't a terrifically popular tour with informed CC members so information here is scant probably. I did wonder about the return train as well. Though I guess they might train you in to save time then bus you back with the rest of the description so confusing who really knows? Maybe they just expect you to find your own way back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...