Roman Colosseum on a free day

Kittinfeld

I tried to buy skip the line tickets today only to discover June 5th 2019 is a free day with no pre-sale availability.  Does anyone have experience visiting the Colosseum on a free day?  We will likely arrive before 9:00 am.  Is it slower early in the morning?  What are the typical wait times?  Do you have to wait in two lines ie, one to get the tickets and then one for security and entrance?  If so, is it faster to get tickets through the Forum entrance? Are cruise excursions allowed to skip the line?  Finally, can you still book a tour from a third party tour operator? (I have heard no on another forum).  Any help appreciated 

Edited by Kittinfeld
Added info

Here you go. We were in Rome about a year ago and on the first Sunday of every month, most of the paid attractions are free. WE felt why pay for something that we can get for free, even if we have to wait a bit to get in. So we decided to go to the Colosseum and Forum. We arrived at the Colosseum about 8:30 AM and the line was so long I really couldn't believe it. When I asked some one, they said about 2 hours to get in. My DW went on line as I am slightly handicapped and cannot stand for long periods in one spot. After about 15 minutes, I approached the gate where they were letting people in and inquired about their practices for handicapped. They immediately took me to the head of the line and was ready to let me in right then and there, but I had to get my wife. first. When she got there, they let us in a special entrance and we were thrilled. I do walk with a cane, so, I guess, that helped. After the Colosseum, we went across the street, to the Forum and the lines were just as long and this was about 11:00. We again inquired about handicapped entry and again, we were taken to the front of the line and allowed in. I can't say enough good things about the Italians and their treatment of handicapped people. 

So, if you want to take advantage of the free day, I would suggest you get there maybe at 7AM. I don't know if you can buy tickets from a private vendor and skip the line, maybe some one else can help with that. If not, prepare for a very long wait. 

Cheers
Len

Thank you Len and Senorbanda for the feedback.  I think we may just be viewing from the outside this time.  Had hoped to get in since its our first time, oh well.  Weirdly, I was able to get skip the line tickets from a vendor on a reputable site but  I think it was a mistake after all I have been reading about free days and as you said Senorbanda most tours have left that date out of their offerings.

• 3 weeks later...

In Italy, free days are free for all and travel companies have no influence and do no work on those days.

The first Sundays program has changed, the new government isn't funding it anymore but each region is doing something on their own.  Therefore, don't count on the free day being the first Sunday each month, you need to research the particular venue.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

In Italy, free days are free for all and travel companies have no influence and do no work on those days.

The first Sundays program has changed, the new government isn't funding it anymore but each region is doing something on their own.  Therefore, don't count on the free day being the first Sunday each month, you need to research the particular venue.

Yes, the free day falls on a Wednesday during our visit.  Also, I have confirmed no tours running and no skip the lines for cruise ship tours - in fact our cruise line removed the tour from their offerings.  So unless we get lucky with the lines, looks like no inside viewing for us this time around. 

Edited by kittinfeld1966
Spelling

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Good to know - thanks!

Edited by dogs4fun

Just returned from Rome last week (in early March).  Rome was quite busy and lines for the Vatican and Colosseum were quite long.  I can't imagine how busy it will be in June....and on a free day!  Prepare for the worst.   

Our Walks of Italy tour met at 9 am.  It was already a zoo at the public entrance...in March...on a pay to get in day.