Cheapest/best way to get to Playa Grandi? (beach to snorkel with sea turtles)

The Fun Researcher

So our island tour looks to be cancelled on March 20th, when we planned to take a tour which included Playa Grandi to swim with the turtles.  (This is by far the #1 thing on our list for Curacao).  The tour operator's van was ran into and will be out of commission for a while.

I'm looking into a car rental, but if that doesn't work out, what's the best way to get to Playa Grandi and back to the cruise port? 

Is there a tour operator that goes there? 

If I take a taxi will I be able to secure a taxi back?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

On 2/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

So our island tour looks to be cancelled on March 20th, when we planned to take a tour which included Playa Grandi to swim with the turtles.  (This is by far the #1 thing on our list for Curacao).  The tour operator's van was ran into and will be out of commission for a while.

I'm looking into a car rental, but if that doesn't work out, what's the best way to get to Playa Grandi and back to the cruise port? 

Is there a tour operator that goes there? 

If I take a taxi will I be able to secure a taxi back?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Check out Irie Tours West Side tour, you will get to see several beaches included Playa Piskado/Grandi.

11 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks, yesterday I reserved seats for us with Irie tours, on their All West Beach Hopping tour.  They verified that snorkeling with turtles (not sure which beach) was one of their stops.

Dan

Dan they definitely go to Playa Piskado. A few of our friends have toured with Irie and loved it. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, dukefan4life said:

@The Fun Researcher
Did you enjoy this excursion? We are heading down there in May of 2020 so I'm starting to put together a short list so we can decide what to do. Any tips?

I sure did!  I would recommend it.  Drinks were included, open air bus, good service, great snorkeling and beach locations.  I talk about it in my review of our cruise (linked below).  If you don't already have a nice snorkel/mask it's worth the investment if you plan to snorkel a lot on your vacations.  Personally, I don't use fins when I snorkel.  They bother my feet and just don't feel natural to me.  I MUCH prefer water shoes.

For the turtles, the water is much clearer as you swim a little further from the shore.  Near shore the other folks kick up the sand too much.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2648912-navigator-ots-review-9-amazing-nights-march-15-24-2019/?tab=comments#comment-57120111

Dan

• Like 1

Great review!! We use the newer full face snorkels(the re-designed ones) and I'm not a fan of the fins either. Really looking forward to getting to Bonaire to snorkel. I think we are either going to do the golf cart rentals there or the ATV's to get around the island. But I had no  idea what to do in Curacao. Thanks so much for the tip. 

10 minutes ago, dukefan4life said:

Great review!! We use the newer full face snorkels(the re-designed ones) and I'm not a fan of the fins either. Really looking forward to getting to Bonaire to snorkel. I think we are either going to do the golf cart rentals there or the ATV's to get around the island. But I had no  idea what to do in Curacao. Thanks so much for the tip. 

Thank you.  Glad to help!

Dan

We rented a car from Advance Car Rentals (Celestino) and drove there easily using the simple GPS supplied in the car. It was our first stop of the day an amazing! The car rental was a great bargain at $75 all inclusive.

15 minutes ago, trophy_23 said:

Fins will be helpful snorkelling with the turtles, then you can dive down for photos.  Too hard to dive down with no fins.

Great photos! 

I think it depends on the person. I have no problem getting down that low without fins.  

I’ve injured my flexor tendon before with fins, and I just don’t like having them on my feet. To each their own though.

My wife loves them

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Great photos! 

I think it depends on the person. I have no problem getting down that low without fins.  

I’ve injured my flexor tendon before with fins, and I just don’t like having them on my feet. To each their own though.

My wife loves them

Dan

I can’t get down without fins.  

We also went with Irie Tours, beach hopping in early March when we were there, It was great!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...