General P&O Questions from Canada

brimarl

We are from Canada and thinking of trying P&O. It appears the only way we can book is through a travel agent in the US which I'm not keen on doing, but here are a some  questions after searching I haven't come up with answers to.

1. Breakfast - I've found information on breakfast items but not locations served - is it just available in the buffet and room service or is it also available in main dining room?

2. Auto Tips/Service charge - I see they have been removed for May 2019 onward. Will individual tipping in cash still done or expected. North American question I know.

2. Black Tie nights. Would a dark suit be acceptable. My one and only tux was for a QE2 crossing 19 years ago and long gone. Recent cruises have been either suit, sports jacket or not at all. I don't have a use for one other than this cruise. Tux prices are riduculous in Canada - the rental market seems to have taken over. It would be cheaper to buy a Marks and Spencer or similar and pay for shipping to Canada but not sure of the quality.

Finally - any comments from Canadians who have cruised P&O. Thank you in advance.

1: There is breakfast in a Main dining room.

2: Tipping not expected but is optional.  (We will still tip the cabin steward &  our table waiters, our choice)

3: A dark suit for formal night with a collared shirt and tie is fine. Many opt for a suit over a tux.

Hope this is helpful any more questions just ask.

Edited by Scorpio41
Auto selling having a laugh.

Breakfast is served in the main dining room as well as in the buffet.

Auto tips / service charge. It is my understanding that tips will no longer be expected after removal of the automatic charge. Presumably staff wages will be increased to compensate.

Black tie nights. A dark suit and tie would be perfectly acceptable.

Tips/Gratuities will not be expected except for exceptional service which will only happen rarely. IMO if people still carry on tipping in cash direct to staff then in 2 -3 yrs time it will be the case of tips/gratuities being taken care of in increased cruise fares and then staff expecting extra tips/gratuities as the norm so we will all be expected to do it and end up double tipping.

50 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Tips/Gratuities will not be expected except for exceptional service which will only happen rarely. IMO if people still carry on tipping in cash direct to staff then in 2 -3 yrs time it will be the case of tips/gratuities being taken care of in increased cruise fares and then staff expecting extra tips/gratuities as the norm so we will all be expected to do it and end up double tipping.

We will certainly tip but at a level no where near the present level. Remembering that the staff involved will be on different contracts by then.

I would willingly tip extra for exceptional service but I cannot think what exceptional service I would receive for anything above what the included tip covers. Having done many cruises on P&O have never felt the need to tip extra on what was auto added to my account or before that was introduced when we gave what P&O recommended in cash.

21 hours ago, majortom10 said:

My thoughts exactly. Whilst I would not disagree that exceptional service might very occasionally warrant some financial recognition, it concerns me that P&O regulars are already saying that they will tip as a matter of course. If this practice becomes widespread it will come to be expected, with those not participating being regarded as skinflints. P&O need to nip this in the bud and make it overtly clear that tips are not expected by the staff and that passengers are not expected to give them..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Denarius said:

My thoughts exactly. Whilst I would not disagree that exceptional service might very occasionally warrant some financial recognition, it concerns me that P&O regulars are already saying that they will tip as a matter of course. If this practice becomes widespread it will come to be expected, with those not participating being regarded as skinflints. P&O need to nip this in the bud and make it overtly clear that tips are not expected by the staff and that passengers are not expected to give them..

P&O have said that tips are not required or expected but that if people wanted to give a tip they were welcome to do so. 

I do do hope that your comments are in no way trying to say how and when I should tip on board.

• Like 1

If you do decide to get a tux, M&S quality should be fine. There are reviews on their website.

If you come to Southampton, there is an M&S there which you could get a cab to, although the Hedge End Branch has a  much wider choice. You will definitely need a cab there and back, about £25 each way.

Cathy

4 minutes ago, brimarl said:

Thanks for all the quick answers!

Cathy - are alteration services available at M&S? I know I'd be buying off the rack but I have never been able to get the correct inseam. 

I just checked and M&S actually has an online Canadian site with free shipping and customs.