Venice Flooded Streets

Desert_ Dweller

I did a lantour in Venice. One day St Mark's Square was flooded and it was bright and sunny. Wind direction was the culprit. 

I always take waterproof sandels on vacation. They are good for beaches and raining days. They are light too. I use Teva's. On our last cruise last October, I took two sets of shoes. The sandels and Merrill waterproof hiking boots. 

On that cruise in rained in Santorini. Heavy rain, hilly terrain and stone street lead to floods. You had to see the water coming down the donkey path on Santorini. There had to be over a foot of water coming down that path.

Although acqua alta happens, there's every likelihood that you won't experience it.  I've been to Venice in October and November for several days each time in recent years. Only early on one morning was there a bit of water in Piazza San Marco -- but they had the "risers" out, so no one had to walk in it. It was gone by about 10:00 am.

If it was me, I would probably gamble. From what I've read, if you really do experience the severe flooding, every shopkeeper in Venice seems to sell the disposable boots that you see everyone wearing in photos.

image.jpeg.81054bad38cca5c0ee68d41bd429e060.jpeg

• Like 1

Was in Venice in late October in 2016.  Out of 5 days we had one rainy day....and it really rained that day.  Water was starting to come up in St. Marks Square, but they were ready for it.  They put up raised walkways to keep you above it in the square.  That was the only area we say flooded....just St. Mark's Square.  

The flooding (as said above) is not from the rains, but is from the lagoon.  And it can be crazy high....over your head high...not common but does happen.  Look for the markings on some walls showing the record flood heights.  Pretty tough place to live!

On 2/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Although acqua alta happens, there's every likelihood that you won't experience it.  I've been to Venice in October and November for several days each time in recent years. Only early on one morning was there a bit of water in Piazza San Marco -- but they had the "risers" out, so no one had to walk in it. It was gone by about 10:00 am.

If it was me, I would probably gamble. From what I've read, if you really do experience the severe flooding, every shopkeeper in Venice seems to sell the disposable boots that you see everyone wearing in photos.

image.jpeg.81054bad38cca5c0ee68d41bd429e060.jpeg

You can buy those boots from shopkeepers and street vendors along with umbrellas and plastic rain ponchos.