Specialty dining package usage

flyncook

Our family of  6 will soon be traveling on the Getaway, in 2 separate cabins. Each cabin has a specialty dining package which is 3 dinners for the first 2 people in the cabin. So basically 6 meals per cabin. I called NCL and asked if we could use the dining packages for two meals for the 3 people, instead of 3 meals for 2 people. She told me we would have to pay for the 3 rd person each time. When I questioned this policy, she said perhaps we could do it the way I was requesting once we are on the ship.

My question is, has anyone had an experience using the dining package in this manner?

And if so, do they give you a hassle to use it like this?

Here are my experiences with a mix of people with and without the SDP.

On the Escape last February, my SO and I were traveling with a couple of his friends. It was one of their birthdays while we were on the ship. We intended to treat the two of them to Moderno at our expense and use our SDP credits for ourselves (we had the SDP and they didn't). At the end of the meal, they brought us a check with a zero balance. They had charged two specialty meals to each of our accounts, so my SO and I were left with one each (instead of the two each we anticipated).

On the Gem in June, my SO purchased the SDP and I did not. I had intended to pay a la carte for my specialty dining meals, as I don't eat much and didn't want to pay out of pocket for the package (we didn't get it as an included perk on that cruise). We ate at La Cucina for our first meal, both ordered an appetizer and entree and shared a dessert. At the end of the meal, they brought our check with a zero balance. They had deducted two of the specialty dining credits from my SO (so he was down to one). Our second meal was at Cagney's. He had an appetizer and entree, I had a soup and an appetizer, and we again shared a dessert. At the end, they brought us a check with a zero balance. Apparently they had just charged my soup and appetizer against his one remaining meal credit.

We did not ask any of our servers to do any of these things for us. On that first sailing, we had fully intended to pay the check for our friends. On the second sailing, I was prepared to pay a la carte at both La Cucina and Cagney's (which had influenced my ordering decisions at both restaurants). It all worked out well for us, but I would never go in ASSUMING it will work out that way. And I would never ask the servers to handle it that way.