First time on NCL and probably last minute booking, will we see show?

Loreni

We may be cruising on NCL for the first time, after becoming elite on Princess.  I kinda regret sailing exclusively with them.  They do many things well, but lately management is making bizarre decisions, like removing furniture from the rooms. Already, Princess balcony rooms lack a sofa, now arm chairs are being removed. This removal is going fleetwide.  Tables are also being removed.  Footrests were removed from balconies.  Large balcony tables had already been replaced with small ones and comfortable balcony chairs replaced with lousy ones several years ago.

Unfortunately, if we sail NCL, it will be a last minute booking, less than 30 days out. 

Does everybody get to see the big shows as long as they are willing to line up early enough on standby?  Will I be able to get dining reservations for the MDRs at normal dining times?  If I get the free dining package, I pay gratuities.  How are they calculated?  Is it simply based on what I order?

We will be three in a cabin this time.  Unless sailing suite, mini suite, or deluxe balcony (on certain ships) on Princess, the third person is in a bunk bed.  It is not great,  but doable.  How are the sofa beds on NCL?  Would they be an upgrade compared to a Princess upper berth.  I don’t mind bringing my own mattress topper and used to do so on Princess, even with 2 people, before they upgraded the lower beds.  How are the lower beds on NCL? Firm?

i need to learn so much, I appreciate all your help.  I should say that Princess’ current beds are fantastic...not too firm, pillow top.

I can only answer some of your questions:

There are no reservations for the MDR. Simply show up a little before you want to dine and will be seated as tables are available.

The dining package is a fixed price and the gratuity is 20% of that price. You can order as many apps and desserts as you want, but some restaurants limit you to one entree. A second entree will be charged, along with the appropriate gratuity, should you want one. 

1 hour ago, Loreni said:

Does everybody get to see the big shows as long as they are willing to line up early enough on standby?  Will I be able to get dining reservations for the MDRs at normal dining times?  If I get the free dining package, I pay gratuities.  How are they calculated?  Is it simply based on what I order?

Shows: on the large ships the major shows in the theater are by reservation. Last week on the Epic it was easier to get into a late show via the standby line than an early one. On the smaller ships such as the Jewel class, reservations aren't taken and, in my experience, not needed.

Dining: MDRs on NCL ships don't require reservations, although they accept them. You can usually get the times you want by going to a restaurant reservations desk on embarkation day. This is also true for specialty restaurants, where not all tables can be reserved online anyway.

Specialty dining package: whether you take it as a promotional offer or just pay for it, the gratuities are charged at 20% of the list price.

We sailed with 3 in a mini-suite on the Epic last May. My MIL was on the pull out sofa bed, and had no complaints. 

Which ship are you sailing on? That will be the biggest determinant of shows and your other questions. On the Epic you needed reservations for the shows, or could go stand-by, but on the Jade that we just came off of there were no reservations needed or required.

Again, for the 3 of us on the Epic we had no problem getting dinner reservations at normal dinner times. We simply walked to the main dining room, asked for a table for 3, and they sat us. The only place we had to wait was on embarkation day when we went to Tempanyaki without a reservation. And even then it was just a 20-30 min wait.

1 minute ago, Sailing12Away said:

The only place we had to wait was on embarkation day when we went to Tempanyaki without a reservation. And even then it was just a 20-30 min wait.

I'll mention that if your plans include specialty dining, it can be a really good idea to book a specialty restaurant for embarkation night (book online or right after boarding if you have a chance). The main dining rooms tend to get slammed on embarkation night, partly because few people choose specialty restaurants then, and, I think, partly becayse before passengers get involved in various activities, more seem to show up at the MDR at about the same time.

3 hours ago, Loreni said:

We may be cruising on NCL for the first time, after becoming elite on Princess.  I kinda regret sailing exclusively with them.  They do many things well, but lately management is making bizarre decisions, like removing furniture from the rooms. Already, Princess balcony rooms lack a sofa, now arm chairs are being removed. This removal is going fleetwide.  Tables are also being removed.  Footrests were removed from balconies.  Large balcony tables had already been replaced with small ones and comfortable balcony chairs replaced with lousy ones several years ago.

Unfortunately, if we sail NCL, it will be a last minute booking, less than 30 days out. 

Does everybody get to see the big shows as long as they are willing to line up early enough on standby?  

Seeing the shows will not be an issue. I have never seen them so crowded that you cannot get in, though sometimes you get stuck with lousy seats.

3 hours ago, Loreni said:

Will I be able to get dining reservations for the MDRs at normal dining times?  

Getting reservations in the main dining room is not a big deal, and really not needed. The wait is usually very short, but for parties of two and three getting reservations should not be a big deal.

If I get the free dining package, I pay gratuities.  How are they calculated?  Is it simply based on what I order?

It is calcuated based on the value of the package, and is paid at the time of booking. You don't have to worry about any of it on th ehsip. If I recall correctly it is about $18 - $20 per person for the package.

We will be three in a cabin this time.  Unless sailing suite, mini suite, or deluxe balcony (on certain ships) on Princess, the third person is in a bunk bed.  It is not great,  but doable.  How are the sofa beds on NCL?  Would they be an upgrade compared to a Princess upper berth.  I don’t mind bringing my own mattress topper and used to do so on Princess, even with 2 people, before they upgraded the lower beds.  How are the lower beds on NCL? Firm?

Some cabins have bunks, others have pull out sofas, It all depends on the ship and cabin category. Some people think the beds are too hard, others thing that they are too soft.

i need to learn so much, I appreciate all your help.  I should say that Princess’ current beds are fantastic...not too firm, pillow top.

See notes above

Edited by zqvol

Hi.  We were on the Escape last summer, and my son slept on the couch in the balcony room.  It was hard, but we requested and got an "egg crate" topper, and it was fine after that.  I have no experience with pull-down or bunk beds in the cabins, so I can't compare.

6 hours ago, Loreni said:

I can't answer everything.  Yes, you should be able to do the reserved shows on standby.  It's not ideal, because you should probably get there 30 minutes early and then wait.  But you can do it.  The smaller ships don't have reservations for shows, so you'll be the same as everyone else.

Dining should be a minimal hassle.  It seems like they reserve some in advance and then save a bunch for the ship.  Go to the MDR as soon as you board and make reservations.  Yes, you CAN just show up, but you may have to wait a bit (30 minutes).  

Gratuities for the drink package are right at $20 per day (20% of the daily cost).  Doesn't matter how much you actually drink.

Hope this helps.  IMO, if a last minute cruise is all you can do, don't hesitate.  Minor inconvenience once you are aboard, but totally manageable.