Life In An Edge Suite: How Sweet Is The Edge Suite Life?

vtcruising

29 minutes ago, first mate said:

We sailed in a S3 and it was great except for the leaking shower/tub.  We were disappointed the large balcony didn't have lounges as there was plenty of room.   Those suites are expensive, lounges should be standard.  The chairs are more comfortable than they look.  At the very least, there should be footstools.  

Thanks! Which one were you in?

We were in 11160 and I would not book an S3 again.  I really wanted the bed facing the window [as promised, as you noted].  We did not hear any noise from the Magic Carpet, nor did it block our view any worse than the picture you included with those shark fins sticking down, but I felt that the big orange thing ruined the view from the balcony and the white column interrupted the view from within the cabin.  The price difference between S3 and S2 is so small that I would definitely book an S2 next time.

PS -- Marilyn!  This is the BEST ship review I have ever seen.  You are terrific! 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

@firstmate I heartily agree with you about the loungers and footstools. Which S3 did you have?

@vtcruising I just realized today that some of the S2s are forward. I’d been thinking all the Sky Suites were midship or aft. I’m susceptible to motion sickness, so I’m wary of forward cabins (the only time I’ve had to make a fast exit was from a party in the Reflection Suite during choppy seas). That was a close call, despite bonine😜 Have you heard any confirmation that Edge is more stable than older ships in this regard? I do love the look of the Sky Suites themselves as well as the Retreat & Retreat Lounge😊

The Captain said that the Edge was the best-handling ship in the fleet and very stable. One of his crew told him he didn't even realize they had left port one time because she sailed so smoothly and was a bit embarrassed. He also said when Captain Kafetzis was training to take over the ship, he had to learn to use a gentle touch because maneuvers are so much easier on the Edge (the Captain said he was over-doing his maneuvers because of his experience on other ships). I have to say that we didn't rock and roll much at all and it was windy (usually I have a hard time walking straight down the hallways when it is windy out, but didn't experience that on the Edge), but I would hate to say for sure.

I had severe seasickness once and it was with very rough seas out of Bayonne in January, so understand your fears.  With every wave, I would roll all the way over to my other side in bed and then roll back to the other side as we went down again. A lot of us got sick that day. I happened to be way forward and on 11 (on the Silhouette).:classic_sad:

I wonder how flexible they would be if you got one of those way forward suites and mentioned your seasickness.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, first mate said:

We were in 8210.  Loved Luminae, the food was delicious and the service excellent.  The view of the water from the floor to ceiling windows was fantastic.  

Good to hear. I think I would choose deck 8 or 9 for an S3 at this point, until we get more info.

Did you have the orange box in the corner of your balcony as well (saw it on another corner S3)?

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We were in 11160 and I would not book an S3 again.  I really wanted the bed facing the window [as promised, as you noted].  We did not hear any noise from the Magic Carpet, nor did it block our view any worse than the picture you included with those shark fins sticking down, but I felt that the big orange thing ruined the view from the balcony and the white column interrupted the view from within the cabin.  The price difference between S3 and S2 is so small that I would definitely book an S2 next time.

PS -- Marilyn!  This is the BEST ship review I have ever seen.  You are terrific! 

Thanks for the kind words!

I didn't get a picture of your orange box - could you (or someone else) please post a picture of it? That was one of the surprises that people should be aware of before booking. One person said they got used to it and it didn't bother them after a while. I could probably overlook it if it were blue or white, anything but orange. 😉