Life In An Edge Suite: How Sweet Is The Edge Suite Life?

vtcruising

Thanks, First Mate. Great shots! It was also good to hear that there wasn't noise or other issues on your balcony.

I checked my Edge cruise next year and the S3's are only $100 PP less than the S2's right now and $200 PP less than the S1's (still more than I want to pay at $4299 PP).

It's interesting to see that not all of the S3's have the door built into the rail, likely for access to mechanical/electrical (like Host Jazzbeau's in 11160). We will have to see if others have that. I didn't expect the inside side of the orange rail to be that visible on the balcony.  I pictured the balcony to be inside the rail, not have the rail be part of the balcony.  If they had been able to put them inside the rail, the balcony would have lost space and that window. I am wondering if the end balconies are larger than the center ones.  I do like that window!  The orange rail on the balcony look is growing on me. If I book one, maybe I'll bring some colorful magnets to decorate my piece of the MC. 😉

image.png.9e39086b7d9038d6fa6da579b6247e9e.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting the information about your S3 and your great photos, First Mate! I think we’d be very happy with the suite you had. BTW, I love the photo of the person in the red car. I’ve added it to my “art walk” list for my Edge TA next month😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I wonder how flexible they would be if you got one of those way forward suites and mentioned your seasickness.

I have wondered the same thing. There doesn’t seem to be any way to make a special request in the move up process. I wish there was a way to say I’d prefer any of the other Sky suites, including the S3s, instead the forward S2s on deck 10.

Edited by Silkroad

Marilyn, many thanks for that explanation, as it was just perfect.  I did not want to quote you due to all the photos, as now I can do that.  I totally understand that you want to be honest and forthright in your information, so others can make fair evaluations.  This thread is another wonderful example of that...😀

I have heard others mention noise in other suites, but honestly, we have always been very lucky and never encountered very much at all, mostly due to when and where I cruise.  I do believe, after doing several, that TA’s are very quiet; that is why I enjoy them so much, along with all the sea days...the only negative is losing hous/time...it is much more fun than flying to Europe for me!

~Suzy

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

Marilyn, many thanks for that explanation, as it was just perfect.  I did not want to quote you due to all the photos, as now I can do that.  I totally understand that you want to be honest and forthright in your information, so others can make fair evaluations.  This thread is another wonderful example of that...😀

i have heard others mention noise in other suites, but honestly, we have always been very lucky and never encountered very much at all, mostly due to when and where I cruise.  I do believe, after doing several, that TA’s are very quiet; that is why I enjoy them so much, along with all the sea days...the only negative is losing hous/time...it is much more fun than flying to Europe for me!

~Suzy

I agree about TA's - I've only done one and it was one of my top cruises. I would love to do one on Edge Class since even after 14 days on the Edge, there is so much more I want to do (some new and some repeats). There may be some imperfections, but they have worked so quickly to fix a lot of things. I can overlook many of the issues because the ship really intrigues me and I am drawn to experiencing more. Maybe Kronos in Eden put an Edge spell on me!  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marilyn,

I know what you mean about the orange color, it's not exactly soothing.  But it wasn't a deal breaker.  I agree that blue or white would have been better.  re: the window on the balcony  I liked the extra view but we also were able to look down on the IV cabins and I felt like that was invading people's privacy.  So I tried to just look out at the view.  Noise:  the balcony was quiet for us. 

I was hoping to see the MC go by but never did.

Bathroom:  when showering in the evening, I could hear our neighbors talking.  

I love reading your reviews!  Many thanks for taking the time to do this.

Silkroad:  Glad you like the pics!  I like your idea of the "art walk".  I enjoyed a lot of the photos on the ship. 

• Like 2

Celebrity Suites:

Interestingly, these started out with a very different design. They had a very small balcony - 51 sq ft (small for a suite) and a loggia (sun room). Last year, a different design was starting to show up, with the loggia gone and a larger balcony instead. I haven't been able to determine the size of the full length balcony that was in the final design, but I would estimate about 90 sq ft (loggia was a bit smaller than the original 51 sq ft balcony).

There are 16 CS's - most are on 11, with 1 CS on 12

Features:

-total sq ft with balcony is 510 sq ft - if the balcony is estimated at 90 sq ft, that would leave about 420 sq ft of living area

-has a separate bedroom with TV

-bath divided between toilet and sink in one section and tub/shower combo and larger sink in other section

-two entrances to toilet (has doors from living room and from other part of bath)

-the coffee table in living room lifts up to use as a dining surface

-there is a table and two chairs on the balcony, suitable for dining, and 2 padded chairs

-service from shore concierge

Link to the original floor plan:

72-1.jpg

Link to present floor plan:

310.jpg

Video of CS (11118):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpIdjcMuEjc

This post is from someone I met onboard who stayed in a CS. She liked it for many reasons, but also had some issues:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609353-living-on-the-edge-with-vtcruising-a-live-review/?do=findComment&comment=56271696

Here are some pictures from the 2 CS's that I toured (11107 and 11118):

CSnumber.thumb.jpg.411e6909653a86a7fa9cb5125f314cb6.jpg

Door to connecting concierge cabin - can be a Celebrity Family Suite

1612413331_csconectingdoor.thumb.jpg.7685d65942d5be467e00fce040717440.jpg

Can see the bathroom entrance from living room on right

csbathdoor.jpg

csliving3.thumb.jpg.99203f738d848fa50800e42d69874f02.jpg

csside.thumb.jpg.e4d71b0e22514a4f90a05edfeec6664b.jpgcsstorage.thumb.jpg.57e94022e823a8127c6098e123d8eff4.jpg923797332_cslr.thumb.jpg.6ebe15c9da26b83d0c434e5516233988.jpg2039916612_CSbalcony1.thumb.jpg.05795d966c687a3e00a5fb77c10fc9f4.jpg

CSbalcony2.jpg

1246456341_csbed.thumb.jpg.39d2aa2468c32826384e868d88001756.jpg1893100019_csbedside.thumb.jpg.33dc1c4801e4c6ca01e264ba2c72d64c.jpg

CSstorage2.jpg

csbedside.thumb.jpg.1c6c98bd9d6cba043c7cb6672ec983bb.jpg

Separate toilet area with 2 doors

cstoiletsinkroom.thumb.jpg.f2fd55750d0d3049bda9f2a1b765ed10.jpg

Sink in other part of bathroom (with tub) - mirror is blacked out to protect the identity of the photographer 😉

1149685212_cssinkblacked.thumb.jpg.39cfe8f63f239013fcb7f787d8fc35c0.jpgCStub.jpg.95e93775c4da5f10efb81aaa4419b25a.jpg

cs shower.jpg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, first mate said:

Marilyn,

I know what you mean about the orange color, it's not exactly soothing.  But it wasn't a deal breaker.  I agree that blue or white would have been better.  re: the window on the balcony  I liked the extra view but we also were able to look down on the IV cabins and I felt like that was invading people's privacy.  So I tried to just look out at the view.  Noise:  the balcony was quiet for us. 

I was hoping to see the MC go by but never did.

Bathroom:  when showering in the evening, I could hear our neighbors talking.  

I love reading your reviews!  Many thanks for taking the time to do this.

Silkroad:  Glad you like the pics!  I like your idea of the "art walk".  I enjoyed a lot of the photos on the ship. 

Great information for everyone - thanks! I felt the same way about invading privacy when I was in a side S3. One person who was in one of those IV's talked about it in his review. Did you feel that you were in a fish bowl (since the windows aren't one way)? 😉

Here are a couple of pictures:

From a corner S3 side window:

1151111561_S3windowview.thumb.jpg.4a7bdc42248425938f3c9d3afceaa3b9.jpg

From the promenade on 5:

2023847871_S3windowsup.thumb.jpg.1ada6bf80bbd686ec7d3f049129901ac.jpg

image.thumb.png.7125175a9a5cddd8906716fc06601d7d.png

Edited by vtcruising

2 minutes ago, first mate said:

cle-guy   re:  tendering  in Grand Cayman   I think because it's faster to use the Grand Cayman tenders.

Also, some ports require the use of local vessels for tendering (though I don’t know if that’s the case in Grand Cayman).

Great information for everyone - thanks! I felt the same way about invading privacy when I was in a side S3. One person who was in one of those IV's talked about it in his review. Did you feel that you were in a fish bowl (since the windows aren't one way)? 😉

No, I didn't feel like I was in a fish bowl.  But I don't know who was looking my way!  I made sure I was dressed properly before going on the balcony lol.  I guess if you want more privacy, it would be better to book one of the middle cabins.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cle-guy said:

Why no Magic Carpet for Tendering here?

22 minutes ago, first mate said:

cle-guy   re:  tendering  in Grand Cayman   I think because it's faster to use the Grand Cayman tenders. 

Damian (CD) had mentioned that it was because the GC tenders could hold more people and it would be faster, as first mate said. In the Q&A with the Captain, he mentioned it having something to do with having to be facing in a certain direction because the Magic Carpet (and launch platform) are on the starboard side - the wind direction will affect whether they can safely maneuver the launches up to the platform. He said because of the reefs in that port they have a very tight area to stay within while there.  At least that was my understanding of his explanation.

They have actually used the tenders in GC before, as reported by a CC person (?Esclady).

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Marilyn,   Off topic...I hope you will do a review of the music cruise.  Would love to go on that cruise but it sounds like it's difficult to get a cabin as people who have cruised before get first preference.  Did you get a cabin the first year you tried?

7 minutes ago, first mate said:

Marilyn,   Off topic...I hope you will do a review of the music cruise.  Would love to go on that cruise but it sounds like it's difficult to get a cabin as people who have cruised before get first preference.  Did you get a cabin the first year you tried?

Yes, I will be doing a live review. There is a mailing list that you might want to get on and then you will get wait listed if they are sold out. They send out a list of cabins that are open every Tuesday at 8 PM - you need to be ready to jump. Last year they sold old about 2 weeks after the cruise, I think - it will open up to the public on 4/11 (the cruise ends on 4/6). There probably won't be a huge selection because guests are given the option to rebook their current cabin from now up until 5 days into the cruise. On that Thursday, every onboard can jump on the ones left over. I think they were 85% or more sold out when we docked.

We did the very first FPC and had no trouble getting a CS - we were right next to Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits and I loved listening to him talk next door (through the connecting door) - one noisy neighbor I enjoyed! Anyway, it's nearly impossible to get a suite now. We are happy in AQ - made some friends last year in Blu and we are looking forward to dining with them again this year. It's so funny, but most of the people in AQ don't eat in Blu (I think they prefer the rowdy MDR full of hippies) so we always get the best tables and service. 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CAicruiser said:

It seems S3 have wider balconies than S2 and S1.

Is it true?

I haven't measured them but the S3's are said to be 102 sq ft and the port and starboard S1's are 79 sq ft so I'm assuming most of the extra size is from length, although they may be a bit deeper too. I also am not sure if the 102 sq ft is an average for the S3's - the two end ones may be longer because of the MC rail and window area adding some length. They are nice-sized balconies.

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I haven't measured them but the S3's are said to be 102 sq ft and the port and starboard S1's are 79 sq ft so I'm assuming most of the extra size is from length, although they may be a bit deeper too. I also am not sure if the 102 sq ft is an average for the S3's - the two end ones may be longer because of the MC rail and window area adding some length. They are nice-sized balconies.

Its seems there are more pleats flooring just by counting the number of pleats on the floor from door to the railing.

Do love the side window during sea days so can watch the ship sailing forward.

Edited by CAicruiser
  • Like 1

Marilyn,

Thanks for another amazing topic and post.  You are the best!  This will help all of the people making decisions on suites.  Your pictures made me re-live our time on Edge!

I will update the spreadsheet but I also wanted to offer my thoughts on our CS here on this thread.  We were in the only CS on deck 12.  Cabin 12104.  The view from the balcony looking forward is completely obstructed by the bridge and by the upper deck of the suite next door.  But overall great location as it was pretty close to Luminae.  One advantage was that you could leave Luminae and use your own bathroom!  I actually think this would be an advantage for guests who are in a CS but who are mobility impaired, since there is no working bathroom in Luminae and the only other choice is an elevator ride to deck 14 or 15.  For those thinking about a CS, it is very much like the S-Class CS with the enclosed bedroom.  The double bathroom on the Edge CS is very nice.  The bedroom is comfortable.  Outlets on one side of the bed.  The living area is modern but the couch is pretty hard and uncomfortable.  Pillows galore!  Great rocker unless they have since removed it.  From Marilyn's photo of the CS couch, notice the two sconce-type lamps behind it on the wall.  They are too low and we were constantly banging our heads on them.  The balcony is wide but not deep.  No loungers or foot stools.  There is a full size table with two dining chairs, and also two comfortable arm chairs.  We did not like the fact that we could not close and latch our balcony door when we were outside.  The wind was constantly whistling through the door and it was kind of annoying.  This might be something the CS shares with all other real balcony cabins on Edge. The electronics panel allowed us to control everything in the suite or by using the app on our phone.  Very nice!  Service was exceptional by the butler and room steward!  We also used the luggage valet service free to this suite when we checked out.  It worked great!

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Marilyn,

Thanks for another amazing topic and post.  You are the best!  This will help all of the people making decisions on suites.  Your pictures made me re-live our time on Edge!

I will update the spreadsheet but I also wanted to offer my thoughts on our CS here on this thread.  We were in the only CS on deck 12.  Cabin 12104.  The view from the balcony looking forward is completely obstructed by the bridge and by the upper deck of the suite next door.  But overall great location as it was pretty close to Luminae.  One advantage was that you could leave Luminae and use your own bathroom!  I actually think this would be an advantage for guests who are in a CS but who are mobility impaired, since there is no working bathroom in Luminae and the only other choice is an elevator ride to deck 14 or 15.  For those thinking about a CS, it is very much like the S-Class CS with the enclosed bedroom.  The double bathroom on the Edge CS is very nice.  The bedroom is comfortable.  Outlets on one side of the bed.  The living area is modern but the couch is pretty hard and uncomfortable.  Pillows galore!  Great rocker unless they have since removed it.  From Marilyn's photo of the CS couch, notice the two sconce-type lamps behind it on the wall.  They are too low and we were constantly banging our heads on them.  The balcony is wide but not deep.  No loungers or foot stools.  There is a full size table with two dining chairs, and also two comfortable arm chairs.  We did not like the fact that we could not close and latch our balcony door when we were outside.  The wind was constantly whistling through the door and it was kind of annoying.  This might be something the CS shares with all other real balcony cabins on Edge. The electronics panel allowed us to control everything in the suite or by using the app on our phone.  Very nice!  Service was exceptional by the butler and room steward!  We also used the luggage valet service free to this suite when we checked out.  It worked great!

Thanks for the more thorough review! Being close to the bathroom when in Luminae seems like a plus (reportedly the bathroom in Luminae is working now, but who knows for how long 😉). The CS is a nice option - hope the prices come back down!