Rental car near port and drop off at Ft. Lauderdale ?

minimom5

So our cruise ship will be coming in at 8am but our plane does not leave until evening.  We will have our luggage with us so our thought was to rent a car for the day somewhere near the port and return it at the Ft. Lauderdale airport.  Is this a possibility?  If so, does anyone know the closest car rental agency near the port and how to get there?  We'd appreciate any and all advice and info on how this can be done. Thanks!

Edited by minimom5
clarification

Yes, it is a possibility. It is discussed here frequently,  and those many threads list, and even have Google map lists of where the car rental places are. Pretty much every car rental brand has an office just outside one of the port entrances. Almost all will have free shuttles to pick you up at the ship and take you to their site.

Actually, next question...So if the ship gets in at 8am. Allowing time for disembarkation, what time would we realistically be able to pick up a car.. they always ask for a pick up time and I have no idea!  

Ok thank you.  I'm thinking of going with Hertz because they seem to not have a problem with picking up near POM and dropping off at Ft Lauderdale airport when booking online.  It's hard to find reviews with a positive car rental experience though.  I guess just pick one and go with it.

This is at PortMiami? I guess I just assumed it was Port Everglades. You hadn't specified which port.

Miami is a bit is more complicated.  But there are many threads here on that topic as well. There is, for example,  3 threads on the first page about car rentals near the Port in Miami.

Closest car rental agency at POM is Hertz 229 Southeast 2nd Street
Miami ,  Phone: (786) 425-2515 .  They have continuous shuttles to and from the port.   We've used them many, many times to travel between POM and Pt. Everglades.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:00 AM, minimom5 said:

Oh sorry, I thought I had specified...oops!  yes POM.  Thanks for your help and advice !

If you're a member of Costco you might want to check out pricing online with them....They usually have great deals.