Regent's Crew Welfare Fund

On 3/14/2019 at 7:33 PM, Juno56 said:

Regent does have a policy, as stated below, and that's what they are following.

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

Just found this on the RSSC website under The Regent Experience - Free Pre-Paid Gratuities:

Our onboard staff is happy to deliver a flawless experience at every turn with never an additional gratuity expected, it’s already included in your cruise fare.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Travelcat2 said:

IMO, there is a big difference.  Tipping sets up expectations by the crew (which could be why a few have begun "hovering"). 

Nonsense. I have never seen "hovering" for a tip. Only once did I ever read of anyone commenting on CC that they thought a crew was fishing for a tip.

I have 18 years on Regent and the level of service has never changed because of tipping or not tipping. A lot of passengers tip extra consistently. I see it on every cruise.  They even have small envelopes at the front desk. Spend 5 minutes at the pursers desk on the last day and see how many requests there are for Tip envelopes.

What is the point of this continued discussion about tipping. It has been going on for many decades. Nothing has happened to any of you because of some other passenger tipping. No crew with their hand out. No crew hovering. No passenger  getting lesser service. Like someone else posted above; if I go to a restaurant, I might tip 10%, 20% or even more (or less) depending on how "I" feel about the service provided me. It is a personal choice that has long been a practice in our Society. 

J

• Like 1

I think the key work is under gratuity is: never an additional gratuity expected.  It doesn't say no to additional gratuities they are just not expected.  That's the I read it should I want to give additional gratuities that shouldn't be a problem to anyone.

About shore excursions it does say it's inclusion and you are encouraged to take full advantage of it (tours).  I realize and I do tip those guides and drivers--but Regent states tours are included, just like lectures on the ship paid for my Regent-would you tip them.  Being a devils advocate, why wouldn't tip, you shouldn't pick one over the other.

I'm done on this subject, since Regent doesn't want to comment-I guess we can all interpreted it as you see it.  Please remember if I tip it doesn't ruin it for you...........

I truly wish that you had seen what we and two other couples saw in Compass Rose last week.  It may have only been our 33rd cruise but it was another poster's first Regent cruise.  It was blatant and was not done by a server.  I wasn't going to post this on CC but it if it is the only way I will be believed, I will (leaving out the name or position of the crew member).  This crew member went around to tables shaking everyone's hands (not a good thing to do with colds going around the ship - in the middle of dinner when it would be awkward to get up and sanitize your hands).  Then the person specifically said "remember to write down my name on your Questionnaire".   This is the same person that hovers.  Why on earth would three of us lie about it?

Is this unusual?  Absolutely but it does happen (and has happened to us with a butler -- not even a good one).  The fact that tipping has been common in our society almost forever is besides the point.  It is rude to tip in some countries yet people in the U.S. will tip anyway - what does that say about our culture if we cannot respect others?  While not used as much as it used to be, does the phrase "ugly Americans" bring up anything in our memory banks?   It does to me.  It was used by people in other countries to describe those of us in the U.S. that do not respect the cultures of others and demand to have things "our way".  In my opinion, this also describes those that do not respect Regent's policies and recommendations.

Bottom line, if you cannot or do not wish to abide by Regent's policies, at least don't brag about having the right to do whatever you please (not directed to any particular poster).

Rick, when you are onboard Regent next month, kindly look at the paperwork from Destination Services.  It is really is a fact that Regent does not cover tips for tour guides or bus drivers.  Assuming that it is not against the country's culture to tip, some of these people depend upon tips to live.  

If you think about it, with the exception of Canyon Ranch which is onboard, Regent does not tip contractors (airlines, hotels or people associated with excursions).  In my opinion, it is important to let people new to Regent know that tour guides and bus drivers are not included.  I just went through all of the information on the excursion pages for our next cruise and it was not mentioned.  So, if anyone from Regent is listening, unless things have changed, please make a note of this fact.  Thanks!

Edited by Travelcat2

21 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I truly wish that you had seen what we and two other couples saw in Compass Rose last week.  It may have only been our 33rd cruise but it was another poster's first Regent cruise.  It was blatant and was not done by a server.  I wasn't going to post this on CC but it if it is the only way I will be believed, I will (leaving out the name or position of the crew member).  This crew member went around to tables shaking everyone's hands (not a good thing to do with colds going around the ship - in the middle of dinner when it would be awkward to get up and sanitize your hands).  Then the person specifically said "remember to write down my name on your Questionnaire".   This is the same person that hovers.  Why on earth would three of us lie about it?!

Just curious - did you tell anyone in authority?  If so, what was the response?

I would find hovering, cloying attention that was coming across as fishing for a tip to be obnoxious.  Would this practice be more noticeable toward the end of a very long cruise where there is much more personal interaction with passengers and staff? Travelcat2....have you ever tipped on a Regent cruise?

Regent is proud to include gratuities in the cruise fare for all onboard employees and tipping is not expected onboard.  We hope that none of our guests ever feel intimidated otherwise.

Guests wishing to tip for “above and beyond” service is a personal decision.  It would be difficult for us to police this, nor do we want to develop crew restrictions around this.  As it relates to the crew fund, the crew themselves decide how the money is spent, and it is by a committee on each ship.  The Crew Welfare Fund is a cash account and the reason why we do not offer the ability to charge contributions to your onboard account.  Instead, we offer the ability to complete a cash advance (without any fees) and in turn, donate it to the crew fund.

I would also like to acknowledge the perceptions regarding staff visibility in Compass Rose on the last evening of the voyage.  As many of you know, our crew gets to know many guests quite well and often develop long-lasting friendships. We only wish to encourage this and as appropriate.  The last night of the cruise is typically the last chance to extend fond farewells and mentions for a safe return home along with hopes that they’ll soon return.  However, given the feedback mentioned, we will review with the team and train towards additional sensitivity around this to avoid any potential misperceptions in the future.      

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4