Shore excursions?? Where are they?

traveling6pack

We are booked on the Silver Whisper for July.  Final payment is almost here and we are anxious to make our shore excursions and dining reservations.  However, a week out from final payment only 2 ports of shore excursions have been listed for the sailing through My Silversea.  When can we expect the remainder of the excursions to appear? 

Edited by traveling6pack

Watch for action right around the 120 days out mark. On mysilversea, eventually there will be a .pdf you can download in addition to the live links. Sometimes they link to the document even before it is complete, and you can watch over time as they flesh out the offerings in various ports. Generally speaking, though, it should be finalized by 120 days out so that you can register for your excursions.

For my upcoming Muse sailing in late May, nothing appeared until exactly 120 days on the mark. I had to read through the whole document quickly to make my decisions. Within a few weeks, they added a few unexpected excursions (kayaking the glaciers! yes!), so it is worth it to continue checking even after the 120 days.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

If you are on silversea.com & look at "my bookings" & open "activities".  You can see a partial list of excursions but if you click on one you will get this message.  Magically on day 120 before your cruise, the message will be removed & you will be able to book.  The specialty restaurants are the same.

Activities can be only reserved between 120 and 2 days prior to your cruise. If your cruise departs in less than 2 days, please reserve onboard the ship.

Thank you both for your response.  I'm confused as to why SS can't list the shore excursions and pricing so we can make our decisions before booking is opened.  I'd just like time to mull over the final options before the pressure of booking.  

If you just can't wait, you can get an idea of what they have offered in the past off the website.  It's pretty easy but bear in mind that they are past offerings & might change.  Open the Silversea website.  Go to your sailing...I used the 7/19 sailing.  When you see the itinerary detail, you will see a little arrow by the date & departure time under each port.  Click on that & there will be a sampling of the usual shore excursions.  They seldom sell out so early so don't stress over it.  If a really, really popular one does sell quickly, they are usually able to add another bus & guide.  You'll have plenty of time to decide & the on-board shore ex people are so helpful & accommodating. 

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/barcelona-to-piraeus-4917.html#itinerary-52468

• Like 2

Thanks for your responses. The excursions have now been posted, but as you said, not available  for booking until 120 days out.  Very sad that the one I really wanted in Cinqueterre that went to Santa Margarita is not available for our sailing. 

1 hour ago, traveling6pack said:

Very sad that the one I really wanted in Cinqueterre that went to Santa Margarita is not available for our sailing. 

Why not book a private tour?  I would imagine it would be cheaper than a ship excursion.  Or, what about hiring a car (or taxi) to transport you to La Spezia Centrale train station and ride Trenitalia to Sestri Levante Station in Santa Margherita Ligure?

• 3 months later...

This is a bit of an old post but I will hop on as I"m in a similar "boat".  Today is 120 days (Whisper Caribbean) and there is 1 excursion listed in 1 port.  Perhaps since it's Sunday they haven't loaded the rest so will keep checking.  The tour book is only 6 pages and only has just the one excursion too.  Have not seen this before.  Perhaps they are irritated with me as I canceled a cruise next year when SS canceled Cuba!

I find it odd that I received an email this morning encouraging me to to book everything.  Dining and Spa are available to book and of course Shop.  I could go with island companies but am tending to stay with SS excursions this time as it's my first solo.

If things don't magically appear tomorrow, I will call and ask.

Missy

8 hours ago, MHF said:

This is a bit of an old post but I will hop on as I"m in a similar "boat".  Today is 120 days (Whisper Caribbean) and there is 1 excursion listed in 1 port.  Perhaps since it's Sunday they haven't loaded the rest so will keep checking.  The tour book is only 6 pages and only has just the one excursion too.  Have not seen this before.  Perhaps they are irritated with me as I canceled a cruise next year when SS canceled Cuba!

I find it odd that I received an email this morning encouraging me to to book everything.  Dining and Spa are available to book and of course Shop.  I could go with island companies but am tending to stay with SS excursions this time as it's my first solo.

If things don't magically appear tomorrow, I will call and ask.

Missy

Missy
I am on the cruise before you, 110 days out, and there are no excursions listed for this cruise either.

robin

You are not alone -I too am sailing in 110 days time on the Whisper, it is nothing to do with it being a Sunday!!

Seemingly SS do not realise the passage of time!  I have contacted both SS and also my TA to ascertain exactly when these shorexes will appear on 'My Silversea'- and I suggest you all do the same thing.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Excursions for Nov. 11 departure on Whisper are 1/2 posted.  Two ports are missing completely and one seems incomplete.  I called yesterday and was told it was an IT problem.  Ummm.....???

Knowing how bad SS's website is, I am not surprised what you were told - my advice, keep checking, and if nothing in a couple of days - chase them.  I am going to do likewise.

Kindest regards

Yours sincerely,

BTW - postscript - in looking at these shorexes, horrified to see they quote the minimum age as, in some cases, 2 or 3 or 9 years of age!!  Are we going to be inundated with ankle biters??????????!! 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, Master Echo said:

Knowing how bad SS's website is, I am not surprised what you were told - my advice, keep checking, and if nothing in a couple of days - chase them.  I am going to do likewise.

Kindest regards

Yours sincerely,

BTW - postscript - in looking at these shorexes, horrified to see they quote the minimum age as, in some cases, 2 or 3 or 9 years of age!!  Are we going to be inundated with ankle biters??????????!! 

St. Marteen and Key West now posted.  Only missing BVI.  

Am hoping and praying that minimum ages are "stock" posts for the tour companies!

Are you flying into San Juan a day early?  I am.

Missy

On 3/19/2019 at 9:03 AM, traveling6pack said:

Thanks for your responses. The excursions have now been posted, but as you said, not available  for booking until 120 days out.  Very sad that the one I really wanted in Cinqueterre that went to Santa Margarita is not available for our sailing. 

Well, I don’t know what’s included with this tour but I can tell you, there is nothing special about Santa Margarita.

FWIW .. We have a jaunt coming up and had been studying the published ‘example but liable to change’ options.

We made our choices and were looking forward to booking them, and dining options, on the120 day mark.

On T-5 ... all the excursions disappeared off the website.

On T-2 ... two re-appeared ... same title but different context. Both ‘Private’ at $900+ ... Ouch !!!

T-1 ... the silence was stunning!

On the day ... the lists were updated ... similar to the ‘examples’ but different enough to cause raised eyebrows!

Caused quite a bit of panic ... we thought that virtually everything had been cancelled. 

All sorted now though ... 

Hi MHF,

Thanks for letting me know all shorexes are now open - better late than never!!  Actually we are on the cruise previously and join in New York.

Unfortunately I do not think that your comment - 'Am hoping and praying that minimum ages are "stock" posts for the tour companies!' is correct - as I have never seen such young ages included in the shorexes offered in the past.  We can only hope that if it is true, the parents have well behaved children!

Looking forward to meeting you at the Meet & Mingle

Kindest regards

Master Echo

20 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Hi MHF,

Thanks for letting me know all shorexes are now open - better late than never!!  Actually we are on the cruise previously and join in New York.

Unfortunately I do not think that your comment - 'Am hoping and praying that minimum ages are "stock" posts for the tour companies!' is correct - as I have never seen such young ages included in the shorexes offered in the past.  We can only hope that if it is true, the parents have well behaved children!

Looking forward to meeting you at the Meet & Mingle

Kindest regards

Master Echo

ME,  I fear you may be onto something...if you go to the SS website, there are "family discounts" listed among the specials; 75% off for under 2's and 50% for older children.  Eeek!  This is not something I have ever seen on SS.

34 minutes ago, MHF said:

ME,  I fear you may be onto something...if you go to the SS website, there are "family discounts" listed among the specials; 75% off for under 2's and 50% for older children.  Eeek!  This is not something I have ever seen on SS.

I agree.  This is very distressing.  This incentive for under 2's (according to the website on 323 cruises, not on a select few) may (along with smoking at the Grill and outside Panorama) be the clincher to move this loyal SS cruiser -- like others I know -- to Viking.  

I am afraid this may be hijacking a thread, and perhaps a new thread should be started.

I know children on SS is a sensitive matter.  For what it's worth, I am not totally against allowing children on SS (as I know is the case on Viking and believe will be on Virgin).   I simply wish that infants and toddlers (who cannot be controlled as they cry or pound the table with flatware or throw things on the deck or act out in other ways in restaurants, etc.) would be restricted.  And certainly not encouraged by knock-down fares. 

I am told that no prohibition on infants/toddlers is likely to be forthcoming from Silversea.  The ability to bring their very young children (and spouses) onboard is said to be important to officers and management.  But do they have to encourage infants and toddlers with these heavily discounted fares?

Note:  I found the 323 cruises number by finding Family Cruise Savings among Exclusive Offers on the website and clicking on that offer.  I would be greatly relieved to learn that this is a website error and that -- rather than, as appears to be the case, being offered on hundreds of voyages -- the offer is limited to a handful of cruises during holidays, etc.  In that case, other guests on those affected cruises deserve to be alerted.

Edited by Observer

3 hours ago, MHF said:

...if you go to the SS website, there are "family discounts" listed among the specials; 75% off for under 2's and 50% for older children.  Eeek!  This is not something I have ever seen on SS.

2 hours ago, Observer said:

I agree.  This is very distressing.  This incentive for under 2's (according to the website on 323 cruises, not on a select few) may (along with smoking at the Grill and outside Panorama) be the clincher to move this loyal SS cruiser -- like others I know -- to Viking.  

MHF and Observer - I agree your discussion should have its own thread.

I wouldn't worry too much about the family discount.  SS has always provided a discount for our child.  Our child started cruising with us in 2010 at the age of 12.  The discount has usually been 67% - 75% off the adult fare though.  So, maybe this "family discount" is nothing more than formalizing a price increase?