San Diego to San Pedro anyone used Uber/Lyft?

Sunburg1

4 hours ago, Sunburg1 said:

We are looking for one way transportation from San Diego to San Pedro for a cruise in early May. I do NOT want to drive a rental car if I can avoid it.

Has anyone used Uber or Lyft?

Thanks

The distance from San Diego to San Pedro is 122 miles. That's going to be one huge Uber bill.

have you considered the train (Amtrak) from San Diego to Santa Ana station, and then use an uber to the San Pedro? Or to Long Beach, where there may be an Amtrak bus that connects from Long Beach to San Pedro, and then an uber ride to the port.

Edited by dkata
correct info

Taking the train from San Diego (Station in Downtown San Diego--about two blocks from the cruise pier) to San Pedro (they route you to Los Angeles Union Station and a bus down to San Pedro from there) costs around $50 per person...booked sufficiently in advance.

https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

San Diego to Santa Ana is less than $30 per person...and an Uber from Santa Ana to the Cruise Terminal in San Pedro would cost around $38-51...and saves a little time...and avoids Downtown LA...So that makes pretty good sense...and the Uber could take you right to the Cruise Terminal or your choice of San Pedro hotels...

Uber fare from San Diego Airport to San Pedro is estimated at $184-242, depending on traffic and other things...(plus a tip).

Less hassle take the UBER or car hire doesn't seem to save you much to mess with the UBER, taxi, train, change train, and taxi for $50.  

Personally, not knowing how long your flight might be, I don't want to mess with taxi, train, bus, etc.  It's nice to just catch a single ride from the airport and get off at my destination.  Being on the west coast and normally flying to the east coast for a cruise, it's nice to have a car hire meet us inside the terminal, help with luggage, and take us directly to our hotel.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Hi,

We had the same dilemma in December for our Panama Canal cruise.

I was told that Uber and Lyft drivers do not know where they are going when you order a ride(even if you tell the app your destination). We were told that it might be possible for the Uber/Lyft driver to arrive at our home and then decline the trip. They are not really used to going so far . We considered a one way rental and drop off near the port. I decided that the hassle of getting to the car rental place and driving was not worth it and we ended up booking a private car service which was $241 including tip. It turned out that there was a major rainstorm on our way up and it was good that we were not driving ourselves and were in a larger and heavier car than our own!!

I know it is not inexpensive but it made us feel safer this way!

We used Half Moon LImo and they were very reliable.

22 hours ago, dkata said:

The distance from San Diego to San Pedro is 122 miles. That's going to be one huge Uber bill.

have you considered the train (Amtrak) from San Diego to Santa Ana station, and then use an uber to the San Pedro? Or to Long Beach, where there may be an Amtrak bus that connects from Long Beach to San Pedro, and then an uber ride to the port.

Actually the Lyft fare estimator quotes $140 to $160. Not bad for door to door service. I just want to know if anyone as real life experience, as I said in the first place.

I would also like to know if San Diegans have used Uber/Lyft to go to LAX or to the San Pedro cruise terminal ? Perhaps I'll ask in the San Diego forum on Trip Advisor. As I said in my post above, if they don't know ahead of time that you want to go that far then they could conceivably refuse the ride once they are at your home location and that would not work well!!

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I would also like to know if San Diegans have used Uber/Lyft to go to LAX or to the San Pedro cruise terminal ? Perhaps I'll ask in the San Diego forum on Trip Advisor. As I said in my post above, if they don't know ahead of time that you want to go that far then they could conceivably refuse the ride once they are at your home location and that would not work well!!

Please keep us posted on anything you can dind.

So far have only found that some drivers will take folks from San Diego up to LAX but haven't found anyone who has used it to San Pedro. The consensus is that drivers may go to LAX but also can refuse the trip if they think it is too far. At least at LAX they have the possibility of getting someone who needs a ride back south. At San Pedro it is less likely for them to find that sort of ride back towards their home base.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, riffatsea said:

We used Half Moon LImo and they were very reliable.

We've used Half Moon to get to the port from our home in SD as well and we're very pleased with their service.  We are also going up in early May and I plan to use them again.