Renting vs using my own scooter

pvlinda

I am traveling alone to meet up with friends for a Carnival cruise out of Galveston. I have limited mobility and own a scooter (have never taken it on a plane) but am concerned about how to handle luggage checkin and pickup upon arrival by myself.  I could drive scooter to the plane entrance and upon arrival the cruise line will provide transportation with a lift which is ideal. Other option is to rent a scooter, use my rollator, check that and get a wheelchair at checkin to gate and upon arrival to baggage. Concerned that I might have issues with steps to get on cruise line provided bus. Also, long walk and waiting at pier until I get a wheelchair there. It all seems so complicated, I am not sure which is the best option.  Also, can anyone shed some light on the process at the pier if I take my scooter? is it difficult to navigate onto the ship upon embarkation in Galveston (steep ramps, etc.)?  Thanks to anyone who can help with advice. 

Edited by pvlinda

I don't think using your rollator will be any less cumbersome than using your scooter as far as luggage is concerned.  Arrival at the airport- you should be able to check in luggage at the curb.  You can use your scooter to the door of the airplane; they will then take and store til landing.  They will have your scooter waiting as you deplane.  There are usually porters in the terminal carousel area to assist you when you arrive. 

I would call the cruiseline and verify how their services will work as far as someone assisting with luggage and scooter on their transportation vehicle.

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

I don't think using your rollator will be any less cumbersome than using your scooter as far as luggage is concerned.  Arrival at the airport- you should be able to check in luggage at the curb.  You can use your scooter to the door of the airplane; they will then take and store til landing.  They will have your scooter waiting as you deplane.  There are usually porters in the terminal carousel area to assist you when you arrive. 

I would call the cruiseline and verify how their services will work as far as someone assisting with luggage and scooter on their transportation vehicle.

Likewise, call your airline with your booking info and advise them of your accessability needs.  They will take care of everything and advise you accordingly.  You have nothing to worry about.  You will not be left stranded and helpless!