Internet on the Royal Princess

Lynzchat

Hello fellow cruisers!  I am not too familiar with how the internet packages work. On our upcoming cruise, there is a pre-purchase special of the medallion net ($59). I’m assuming it’s unlimited since no time limit is listed. We already get 150 free minutes with our loyalty program. If one of us were to purchase the $59 package, would the 150 minutes just not be used or can we roll it to the other person in the room?   

We had the medallion net on a recent Regal cruise and really enjoyed the high speed. Since they were transitioning to OM, they gave all the passengers free internet.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Lynzchat

Grab the unlimited for $59. You will lose the 150 free minutes. No you cannot give them to someone else.

If the other person has Platinum they would still get their free minutes. The person that gets the unlimited would not.

There have been posts that it is full price once onboard if you don’t buy pre cruise.

True, you "lose" the free minutes if you go with the new internet package, but you are getting a discount on that package as a substitute benefit.  If you never use up the free minutes, stick with that if still offered.  Otherwise, go with the new plan and take the discount offered.  IMO, it's much better if you plan to use internet and don't want to count minutes and won't have enough.

The benefit discount on our upcoming cruise is 25% (also $25), so I am quite happy with that.  Dollar-wise, it may not match, but the new internet is just better value overall, so sure I would love it at a 50% discount, but not complaining at this point.

20 hours ago, Lynzchat said:

Hello fellow cruisers!  I am not too familiar with how the internet packages work. On our upcoming cruise, there is a pre-purchase special of the medallion net ($59). I’m assuming it’s unlimited since no time limit is listed. We already get 150 free minutes with our loyalty program. If one of us were to purchase the $59 package, would the 150 minutes just not be used or can we roll it to the other person in the room?   

If you do not purchase pre-cruise, if you sign in on embarkation day you will be offered the choice of keeping your free minutes or purchasing the unlimited at a discount which should be at least as good, or maybe better, than if you purchased it pre-cruise.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

If you do not purchase pre-cruise, if you sign in on embarkation day you will be offered the choice of keeping your free minutes or purchasing the unlimited at a discount which should be at least as good, or maybe better, than if you purchased it pre-cruise.

This is what I'm trying to figure.  For our upcoming 7 day, it's listed in the personalizer at $59.99, but some folks are posting that they pay $49.99 when onboard.  Can anyone confirm this is across all ships?   I mean for $10, it's not a lot, but if I can book it onboard for less, I will do that.

Also, anyone had luck signing into their phone with mobile data off and being able to tether in some way to another device?

Edited by kywildcatfanone
Update response

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This is what I'm trying to figure.  For our upcoming 7 day, it's listed in the personalizer at $59.99, but some folks are posting that they pay $49.99 when onboard.  Can anyone confirm this is across all ships?   I mean for $10, it's not a lot, but if I can book it onboard for less, I will do that.

Also, anyone had luck signing into their phone with mobile data off and being able to tether in some way to another device?

I have seen posts where once onboard the discounted price is not available and it is full price at $9.99 per day or higher.

I have not seen or heard of the additional price discount you speak of.  Can you quote someone on that?

The pre cruise price is awesome.   The question is do you want to gamble and take a chance that it is still available onboard?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Can you quote someone on that?

There was a post in the "medallionnet and Elite" thread where someone posted that once onboard, the price was discounted 25% if ordered the first day for the balance of the cruise, so on a 7 day cruise it was about $10 cheaper.  That's what I was referring to.

I don't mind paying the extra $10, but just didn't want to if it wasn't necessary.  I would be interested if folks used their phone/table for the unlimited and were able to create a wifi hotspot and share with other devices.

1 minute ago, kywildcatfanone said:

There was a post in the "medallionnet and Elite" thread where someone posted that once onboard, the price was discounted 25% if ordered the first day for the balance of the cruise, so on a 7 day cruise it was about $10 cheaper.  That's what I was referring to.

I don't mind paying the extra $10, but just didn't want to if it wasn't necessary.  I would be interested if folks used their phone/table for the unlimited and were able to create a wifi hotspot and share with other devices.

Thanks.

I may be wrong but I think the 25% is actually factored onto the $59 pre cruise price. 

All I can say is good luck. As I posted before I hope you don't miss out by waiting until boarding.  

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I have seen posts where once onboard the discounted price is not available and it is full price at $9.99 per day or higher.

I have not seen or heard of the additional price discount you speak of. 

a) Were those posts by people who had signed in on embarkation day?

b) I have seen posts by people who said they signed in and then used their free minutes up. Once these were gone, they signed up for the rest of the cruise at the $9.99/day price. If, for example, they only had to pay for three days once the free minutes were gone, that would be a savings over purchasing the unlimited on embarkation day.

29 minutes ago, caribill said:

a) Were those posts by people who had signed in on embarkation day?

b) I have seen posts by people who said they signed in and then used their free minutes up. Once these were gone, they signed up for the rest of the cruise at the $9.99/day price. If, for example, they only had to pay for three days once the free minutes were gone, that would be a savings over purchasing the unlimited on embarkation day.

To me it is not worth the hassle of logging in and out trying to save minutes.

Unlimited I stay signed in 24/7. I will pay the pre cruise discounted rate for the unlimited package and forgo the free minutes.

8 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I did go ahead and sign up for it.  Will use the umlimited for the wife, and I'll use my elite minutes for work related items.  If I run out,  I will use hers. 

Use her unlimited I assume since you cannot use her minutes which will not exist after purchasing the unlimited package for her.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Use her unlimited I assume since you cannot use her minutes which will not exist after purchasing the unlimited package for her.

You don't get the elite minutes if you purchase the unlimited package, they aren't necessary in that scenario.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, caribill said:

I received an email for our upcoming Regal cruise that mentioned a discount on embarkation day for the unlimited internet but it doesn't say how much it will cost.  Has anybody bought it on embarkation day and if so, how much was the package?

Edited by marciew
added the ship name