Smuggler's Cove - return taxi?

UniPac

Hello! We decided to go to Smuggler's Cove as it seems to be a quiet beach without crowds. However, I am a little bit worried about our return to the ship. I know we can arrange something with the driver taking us to the beach, but what if he get's a "better deal" back on the ship (driving around the island etc.) and doesn't come back picking us up?

Any advice appreciated.

6 hours ago, UniPac said:

Hello! We decided to go to Smuggler's Cove as it seems to be a quiet beach without crowds. However, I am a little bit worried about our return to the ship. I know we can arrange something with the driver taking us to the beach, but what if he get's a "better deal" back on the ship (driving around the island etc.) and doesn't come back picking us up?

Any advice appreciated.

To our knowledge this scenario has never occurred.

But if, and a big If, just join another group taxi with space.  There will be plenty.

However, there is a lot of skullduggery by Cruise tourists all over the Caribbean Islands, who ask to pay the out and return are on the return leg.  Then deliberately miss the time of the booked return taxi, take an earlier taxi back to the ship, only paying the single fare.  Total AH!

16 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

To our knowledge this scenario has never occurred.

But if, and a big If, just join another group taxi with space.  There will be plenty.

However, there is a lot of skullduggery by Cruise tourists all over the Caribbean Islands, who ask to pay the out and return are on the return leg.  Then deliberately miss the time of the booked return taxi, take an earlier taxi back to the ship, only paying the single fare.  Total AH!

There will probably be zero taxis at SC, taxis do NOT go there looking for fares. If your driver fails to return for you yes, you will have a big problem. So you'd want to plan an early return, and if a no-show you could walk the rough road back and over the knoll to Sebastian's store to cal a taxi from there. But it's a good walk so give yourself plenty of time. And we have read of folks being "forgotten" by a driver on different islands so it can happen...

SC is gorgeous ad our favorite beach, and I would suggest renting a vehicle for SC, you don't need a 4 x 4 but you do want the ground clearance a Jeep offers...

Edited by blue_water

Thanks blue_water, that is why I asked here.

Is there cell phone reception to call a taxi?

Where is "Sebastian's Store" located? My backup plan would be walking to Long Bay Beach, 20-25mins which is fine for us. Would that work to get a taxi?

But maybe we go to The Baths instead of Smuggler's Cove, do you have any advice for us?

Thank you for your help!

We are roaming when staying on Tortola, and cell coverage can be spotty at Smuggler's.

The Long Bay Beach Club is currently closed so there are probably no taxis and no facilities to call from there. The Tropical Fusion restaurant in LB may or may not be open. Sebastian's is east of LB and a longer walk over a hill.

The Baths are a unique experience, and I agree that would be a good choice for this cruise. How long are you in port?

That longer port time gives you some flexibility for your time on Virgin Gorda, but you would want to go on your own and stay longer. Can you use your OBC in another port? If so, drivers there will work with you and drop you at other spots like Savannah Bay, then drop you at the Baths after the biggest crowds have already been through.

If not you will be with the bigger crowd but you can make the most of it.

Enjoy!

Yes we could use it but there is no reason to as we already have the (private) excursions we want. So the only port to spend OBC will be here 🙂

Do you think it will be better (= less crowded) going on the early tour (8.30am) or the later one (1pm)?

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 7:17 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Port Royal,

I totally agree that anyone that would do this is a total jerk.  That said, on nearly every island when you take these shared taxis the driver has always made the whole taxi as a group decide on the return trip time and the TAXI DRIVER insists on your paying on the return trip.  This always bugs me as my husband and I aren't marathon beach people.  Some people want to stay 5 hours at the beach and others want to stay 3 or 3.5.  Still others only want to stay 1 to 1.5 hours.  It's awkward trying to pick a return time and sometimes there are great variations in how long people want to stay.  I've only been on one of these trips where the taxi driver offered to come back at two different times (for a big bus with about 20 people on it).  This was on our last cruise in March.  Every other time you had to come to a group decision on one single return time.  Personally I'd rather just pay one way and get my own taxi back and pay for the return then.  We've suggested this and the drivers don't want to do it.  My guess is while there are jerks out there there are also those people who get tired at the beach and want to return early and leaving with another taxi driver is their only option.  While we've never done this we have considered it before because we were tired and wanting to leave.

Cindy

1 hour ago, cloudydrms said:

Port Royal,

I totally agree that anyone that would do this is a total jerk.  That said, on nearly every island when you take these shared taxis the driver has always made the whole taxi as a group decide on the return trip time and the TAXI DRIVER insists on your paying on the return trip.  This always bugs me as my husband and I aren't marathon beach people.  Some people want to stay 5 hours at the beach and others want to stay 3 or 3.5.  Still others only want to stay 1 to 1.5 hours.  It's awkward trying to pick a return time and sometimes there are great variations in how long people want to stay.  I've only been on one of these trips where the taxi driver offered to come back at two different times (for a big bus with about 20 people on it).  This was on our last cruise in March.  Every other time you had to come to a group decision on one single return time.  Personally I'd rather just pay one way and get my own taxi back and pay for the return then.  We've suggested this and the drivers don't want to do it.  My guess is while there are jerks out there there are also those people who get tired at the beach and want to return early and leaving with another taxi driver is their only option.  While we've never done this we have considered it before because we were tired and wanting to leave.

Cindy

But decent people like you would make the effort to find a co-passenger on the out leg and leave the payment with them.  Sadly, you and your party are in the minority.

Most drivers on Tortola and Virgin Gorda actually work together and communicate to ensure any drivers passengers that are dropped at the more secluded beaches get back to the port on time. So if a driver does pick-up another drivers “unpaid” fare that driver will know. Not a perfect system of course, but these are not like the bigger ports where some unscrupulous day visitors can more easily take advantage of that. I’ve seen this communication between drivers even on much busier STT while picking up folks from other spots.

As far as shared taxis and some folks wanting to leave earlier, the shared taxis you see at CGB and Brewers (and now Long Bay, Beef) would not normally frequent SC, because there are no facilities or amenities there. And taxis come and go quite often at the more popular beaches so you can leave when you want...

• 6 months later...

Hi again!

We have been to the Baths and liked it - it was still a bit crowded, so good decision to do this while only our ship was in port!

In March 2020 we will visit Tortola again and now it will be time to head for Smuggler's Cove. Did anything change (to the better) regarding our Plan B (if taxi driver does not return to pick us up)? Signal strength for our cell phones, walking to Long Bay Beach to get a taxi etc.?

Patricia is reportedly back with her famous grill food and drinks! Nigel is also there selling food/drinks. We’ve not been recently so cannot comment on cell service today, still no portapotty from what I’ve read...

Tropical Fusion restaurant in Long Bay is an option after the beach if you want to walk back, open for lunch and drinks Tuesday - Sunday, 11 - 4, and dinner from 5. The owner is a famous chef and I’m told the cuisine is excellent, gorgeous beach. But if Patricia is at SC I highly recommend her cheeseburger in paradise and bbq. The walk from SC to LB is ~2km, 25 minutes, bring sandals with a sole or sneaks for the walk. You may find a driver to take care of you.

if interested in another less frequented beach that is more popular for surfing, Josiah’s Bay is just east of Brewers Bay...

Thank you. We will head to SC and depending on time and if our driver picks us up 😉 we will walk to LB.

Guess both Patricia and Nigel as well as Tropical Fusion can call a "new" driver for us?

Oh and is there any shade at SC/LB by palm trees etc.?

Merry Xmas!

Edited by UniPac

6 hours ago, UniPac said:

Thank you. We will head to SC and depending on time and if our driver picks us up 😉 we will walk to LB.

Guess both Patricia and Nigel as well as Tropical Fusion can call a "new" driver for us?

Oh and is there any shade at SC/LB by palm trees etc.?

Merry Xmas!

Yes you are right, they should be able to call from SC as long as they have cell service there.

We haven’t been to either beach since Irma but I'm sure there are trees lining both beaches. We usually walk west of Patricia’s stand for more shade...

Merry Christmas, and have a great cruise!