Sicily. Messina to Taormina

cruiselove87

We ended up (after considering the bus) booking a driver with others from our roll call. While slightly more expensive, it gave us the piece of mind that we weren’t going to miss the ship...and we visited a winery too!

There appeared to be a number of taxis waiting at the port looking to take folks to Taromina...I can’t comment on how hard t was to find a taxi back to Messina! 

I rented a car with full insurance from Avis (1block from pier) for about 50€ and drove to Taormina and Castelmola. It was an easy drive on a highway which you cannot get lost on. Just make sure you drive in the right lane and not the left passing lane. It was a pretty cheap outing for 4 people.

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 9:06 AM, 2KentuckyCats said:

Any suggestions on a tour for Taormina and Mt Etna. We would like to join a private tour and share cost. 

We did Sicily with Mario with a group; it included Mt. Etna and Taormina with an excellent guide.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, 2KentuckyCats said:

NCL Jade. June 9

Ncl had a taormina tour option where they drove you to from taormina and cruise port and let explore taormina on your own for a few hours. It was a lot less money than the guided taormina tour in case you are interested. I had not seen that option online, only once on the ship it was listed as a shore excursion. You could see my etna in the distance clearly. Taormina was beautiful. Loved it  

• 2 weeks later...

In Messina, we used CITY SIGHTSEEING MESSINA bus service. 

The bus departure from Messina around 10-10:30 and arrive in Taormina around 11:30.  The same bus will take you back to Messina around 3:30-4.   You will have 3 hours to visit Taormina.  Not a bad option and it only costs $28 per person.

https://www.city-sightseeing.it/en/tours-to-taormina-fromlow-cost-transfers/