Ubers at cruise terminal - POM

elsplace2

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, so I do apologize in advance, but I haven't been on Cruise Critic for quite some time and am trying to get used to the new changes.   

First of all, how do you do searches for keywords, now?  I wanted to do a search for Uber so I could read all the Uber posts, and typed it in the search box, top right, but it did not work?

So now for my question

We are sailing on the Carnival Horizon next May....so yes, I am starting my research early.  Is it easy for Uber to get into the port area?  I had read a post, the other day, where they said there was so much traffic trying to get in the terminal, that their Uber driver couldn't get in...(can't remember if he canceled).  Then I thought I read someone else saying there was a line of Ubers outside the port terminal, that they just picked an Uber size that fit their needs, and off they went. 

So for those of you who have used an Uber from POM to FLL airport, how did you do it?  Did you grab one that was in a line of Ubers outside the Port terminal?  or Did you call for one and how long did it take for them to get to you? Where do you go to meet your Uber Driver?  I know airports have designated areas where does the POM have theirs?  

I believe I have read that it cost about $35-$40 for a regular uber.  (Its just me and my husband).  If we decided to take a cab, how much would that cost to get to the FLL airport?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by elsplace2

Uber drivers hang out all over the Port Of Miami area. Normally it takes less than five minutes for them to show up at the terminal area for pickups. Most drivers wait on the other side of the bridge near Bayside Marketplace because officers patrolling the Port Of Miami usually won’t allow them to wait near the terminal area. As for using a cab instead of Uber or Lyft for that trip it usually is double the amount.

• Like 1

I fly into Hollywood/ Fort Lauderdale International Airport a few times a year because it’s the closest airport to my condo in Hallandale Beach. Years ago there  were Uber and Lyft drivers parked on the ramps leading into the airport. Broward County officers chased them from the ramps all the time. There is now a Cell Phone/ Uber Lyft parking lot located on NE 10th Street, just east of Federal Highway (US 1). It takes the drivers less than five minutes to pick up passengers at the terminals and they don’t get harassed for parking all over the place.

36 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

As for using a cab instead of Uber or Lyft for that trip it usually is double the amount.

Correct - cab fare will be $70-75+ on the meter.

You can also use shared shuttles between FLL and POM  for about $15 per person each way. Check SAS, QLS, MJS and Go Airport.

There won’t be a line of Uber’s waiting. Drop your pin and they driver will probably call to confirm your location at one of the numbered pillars. It’s congested but it’s really not that bad.

If you do find a random person waiting that agrees to take you for a flat price...you’re totally on your own. Would not recommend doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, thanks for confirming that there won't be a line of cars.  

So when you get off the ship, there are numbered pillars to meet your Uber Driver?   Is that found at every terminal that a ship docks at?  

We've used Uber/Lyft several times at the airport (FLL) & Port Miami. Lyft is usually cheaper. Feb.2018 with 6 ships in port we didn't have an issue getting a Lyft....waited about 5 mins. With the app, you can choose the size of car you need & when you accept you will know the color & make of the vehicle, also you will get a pic & name of the driver. Feb. 2019, we waited 3 mins for a car with 2 ships at the port. Cost runs about $36.00 + tip. We choose a vehicle that can carry 4 passengers + driver (Toyota Corolla, small suv) We usually carry 2 large & 2 small suitcases & 2 personal size bags.