Midnight Knock on our cabin door

Roktory

There's no excuse for someone writing down the wrong room number, but there's an alternate scenario that might provide an innocent explanation for the midnight visit. Imagine, if you will, a passenger who decides to watch a dvd on the final evening. With packing and and other distractions, the passenger doesn't finish watching until just before midnight. Not wanting to chance a charge for having not returned it, the passenger phones the front desk and asks for someone to come and get it as he/she is in his/her pyjamas. An employee is dispatched to retrieve the dvd, but has a slip of paper provided by his supervisor with the wrong cabin number.

Personally, I think that this is a more likely scenario than one in which the guest services supervisor decides on his own to dispatch an employee to track down a missing dvd at midnight.   

I guess I'm just too light a sleeper to cruise if this is acceptable on any night of the cruise!  As suggested by someone else they could have put a note under the door stating what is missing and that charges are coming if it is not returned.   If they have the wrong room, then I'm sure I'd be down there telling them so in the morning.  As far as looking for something mysterious in my room, I don't understand why they wouldn't ask to come inside........unless it was a report about smoking that can be assessed from the door way.   Either way........it better be REALLY important to interrupt guests at night.   Smoking would be legitimate as it is a hazard to the ship---but why not just say so?

• Like 1

Never having checked out a DVD, do they just tell the front desk their cabin number or is it obtained precisely from the ship's card? It is possible the person checking out the DVD got confused and gave the wrong cabin number in the first place?  (?????)

BTW: there is online access via the Navigator to leave a message with Guest Services who staffs that office 24 hours a day. This will get you an immediate response.   As long as you have a device with you in your cabin that connects you to the Navigator. No trips down to the Front Desk in your jammies. 

Edited by OlsSalt

Has anyone considered the possibility that the person with the DVD was a night owl, and called at midnight for guest services to come pickup the DVD? Hence it's entirely reasonable that someone was assigned to go knock on a cabin door at that time of night? The only issue being a transcription error and not being extra careful for that at that time of night.

3 minutes ago, mrmoviezombie said:

Has anyone considered the possibility that the person with the DVD was a night owl, and called at midnight for guest services to come pickup the DVD? Hence it's entirely reasonable that someone was assigned to go knock on a cabin door at that time of night? The only issue being a transcription error and not being extra careful for that at that time of night.

Uh, yes, see post #26.

Since it was departure night, most of the crew was picking up and loading luggage to be disembarked early the next morning. A very hectic time for everyone on staff. And traffic in the corridors.  It was obviously a mistake, but within a reasonable margin for error ...until it reluctantly wakes someone up. And added the stress of being the mistaken party.

Too bad the Neptune concierge did not run interfernance on this earlier. Should be added to their list of their duties for better Neptune suite benefits. 

Edited by OlsSalt

On 3/17/2019 at 6:33 PM, Fouremco said:

There's no excuse for someone writing down the wrong room number, but there's an alternate scenario that might provide an innocent explanation for the midnight visit. Imagine, if you will, a passenger who decides to watch a dvd on the final evening. With packing and and other distractions, the passenger doesn't finish watching until just before midnight. Not wanting to chance a charge for having not returned it, the passenger phones the front desk and asks for someone to come and get it as he/she is in his/her pyjamas. An employee is dispatched to retrieve the dvd, but has a slip of paper provided by his supervisor with the wrong cabin number.

Personally, I think that this is a more likely scenario than one in which the guest services supervisor decides on his own to dispatch an employee to track down a missing dvd at midnight.   

When you're right, you're right, Fouremco.