Speciality dining on Insignia

glf2710

Hubby and I are looking at an anniversary cruise on Oceania next year - as it’s a special anniversary we are looking to upgrade somewhat and Oceania looks appealing.

Noted though that we would only have 1 reservation per speciality restaurant - usually we pay on P&O Britannia and go in Epicurean every night - so a bit disappointing to see the restriction.  I’m wanting to know how flexible this would be though - if you have used your allocation is that it or are they flexible and allow multiple bookings.

I know I’m comparing apples and oranges here but how does the main restaurant compare to more mainstream cruise lines - P&O’s main restaurant is not great hence the Epicurean reservations!!

Also - how many guests do the speciality restaurants accommodate - I’m thinking if they are only small, reservations might be an issue.

Thanks all for your responses in advance.

the  Specialties  are  smaller  I believe under a 100  but they do not fill the room  as they stagger the reservations so they can turn the tables over  at least twice or 3 times  but they do not rush you through  dinner

same in the GDR  you have a leisurely paced  dinner   rarely do we get out in under 1.5 hrs

Further to what Lyn said, whether you can get additional reservations can depend on how many of the other passengers also want additional reservations!  On most cruises you CAN get them, but not necessarily at the times you want or the table size you want.  Be flexible and it can happen.  There is a place on board to ask about extras.  They do NOT sell out the entire cruise just with online reservations because so many of the passengers don't realize that with a computer you can do so.

We happen to like the GDR just as well as specialties, but I've known some to avoid the GDR at all costs.  What floats your boat?  There are more options in terms of courses in the GDR and the menu changes daily whereas the specialty restaurants have set menus.

Mura

I really enjoy the specialties, but think the GDR and Terrace Cafe (buffet) are also great....on many days I prefer the menu of one place more than another but find the quality the same.  All the menus are on the TV each day.  

Personally, on the mainstream cruiselines I've been on, the buffet tends to be the "lowest" quality food, the dining room is next best and the specialties (where you generally have to pay big bucks) is the highest quality.  But I have not found that on Oceania....I think they're all pretty equal in quality, just different in what they serve.  And the specialties are mostly no extra charge. 

Just now, Go-Bucks! said:

And the specialties are mostly no extra charge. 

Can you clarify?

Never had  an extra charge for the Specialties on Oceania  R ships

The  O class ships  do have a fee based restaurant

Just now, Mura said:

I'm guessing the reference was to La Reserve and Privee, which of course are NOT on the "R" ships.

Mura

Well since the question was about the Insignia  I just found it an odd comment