Guaranteed Balcony on Anthem

We just got back from our first cruise on Anthem and enjoyed it so much we decided to book her again for October 2019, 5 nights to Bermuda. This will be our second cruise this year so we will be on a bit of a budget. For that reason we decided to go with the "we pick your room" balcony option as it saved a bit. I assumed we will get an obstructed view as that is the lowest priced balcony category however my wife asked what assignments that others have received on another site and of the 15 who replied only 1 had been given an obstructed view balcony. The rest received balcony cabins on various levels other than deck 6. I would be interested to hear if that has been the case with people here. It would be a nice bonus to get a balcony with a normal view. Any info about what balcony assignment you received and when you got the assignment would be appreciated. Thanks

I booked a 9 niter on Anthem NE/Canada cruise.  Most of the balcony cabins available were in the guarantee mode.  For $104 more in total, I chose balcony guarantee and was advised that it was a 5D category.  5D encompasses deck 8 -12, well above the obstructions.

PS.  The website lists 3 price structures, at least for balcony views. 

1.  RCL chooses your cabin which I assume it can be obstructed or not. 

2.  Obstructed balcony guarantee and I'm assuming it's what it is named.

3.  Many types of balcony guarantee.  Mine was determined that it was 5D.  In further looking at deck plans there are so many different balcony views and pricing., eg; 5D, 4D, 8D, etc.

2 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

We just got back from our first cruise on Anthem and enjoyed it so much we decided to book her again for October 2019, 5 nights to Bermuda. This will be our second cruise this year so we will be on a bit of a budget. For that reason we decided to go with the "we pick your room" balcony option as it saved a bit. I assumed we will get an obstructed view as that is the lowest priced balcony category however my wife asked what assignments that others have received on another site and of the 15 who replied only 1 had been given an obstructed view balcony. The rest received balcony cabins on various levels other than deck 6. I would be interested to hear if that has been the case with people here. It would be a nice bonus to get a balcony with a normal view. Any info about what balcony assignment you received and when you got the assignment would be appreciated. Thanks

I am booked on the Anthem leaving June 6th. I allowed RC to pick our balcony room and I am delighted to say we are booked on the 11th floor, room 11670. Close to mid ship.

1 hour ago, irishnurse said:

I am booked on the Anthem leaving June 6th. I allowed RC to pick our balcony room and I am delighted to say we are booked on the 11th floor, room 11670. Close to mid ship.

Great! We are doing a GTY on the June 20 sailing. When was your GTY assigned?  Thanks!

We have been on the Anthem once and loved it!! In the past we have always booked far enough in advance to choose our cabin, however, we are thinking about doing the New England cruise again (same as we went last year) in Sept but all that is left is "we pick balcony". I'm nervous! I am picky when it comes to where I want my cabin. I want my cabin above/below other cabins, not by public noisy areas, etc. We've always picked aft area but are up to whatever on that. Would prefer not to get obstructed but thats better than near a noisy area.

How far in advance do they assign and can you reject that cabin if your not happy with the area? UGH...such a hard decision!!

Now I'm wondering maybe we should go with oceanview if I'm able to pick my cabin and save us some money!😕

Your thoughts on a guarantee? Thanks in advance

Just now, P.A. said:

... How far in advance do they assign and can you reject that cabin if your not happy with the area?  ...

Your stateroom can be assigned anytime up to the day you sail.  You may be able to change the assigned stateroom to any other available stateroom in the same exact category that you have been assigned.  However, lately people have been reporting only being shown the deck number and not an actual stateroom number.  So, if you will not take any balcony stateroom that they might assign, then you should not book a guarantee.

Ok so I have a new option. Like I mentioned before we're picky about location...

Would I be better off with a 7D balcony guarantee or just a balcony guarantee? Difference is about $250 more for the 7D. RCCL rep told me that on a 7D guarantee it would be floors 6 to 14. My question is...if you go with the 7D can you still get upgraded like if a guarantee? Because I've heard of people getting upgraded. I've got the 7D on hold til midnight tomorrow and it was the last one. I'm just not clear on exactly how the guarantee's work??

Decisions, decsions! 🙄

On 3/20/2019 at 7:39 PM, P.A. said:

We have been on the Anthem once and loved it!! In the past we have always booked far enough in advance to choose our cabin, however, we are thinking about doing the New England cruise again (same as we went last year) in Sept but all that is left is "we pick balcony". I'm nervous! I am picky when it comes to where I want my cabin. I want my cabin above/below other cabins, not by public noisy areas, etc. We've always picked aft area but are up to whatever on that. Would prefer not to get obstructed but thats better than near a noisy area.

Do you book through a travel agent?  I was having the same quandry, then talked to my travel agent today - He is able to actually see open room numbers and book one for me. He said there are several 2D cabins still open.

Also, the Royal UK site shows lists of open cabin numbers, even today.....

47 minutes ago, Hidden Minnie said:

Do you book through a travel agent?  I was having the same quandry, then talked to my travel agent today - He is able to actually see open room numbers and book one for me. He said there are several 2D cabins still open.

Also, the Royal UK site shows lists of open cabin numbers, even today.....

Yes I do and I didn't want to spend more to be able to pick a cabin. I think the ones you could see were more money. I wound up booking a guarantee.

Thank you! 😉

We booked a 8D guarantee and wound up with a 2D on the June 6th sailing - 11th deck mid ship.  We found out our cabin assignment right after final payment.  We have friends who are booked on the same sailing and haven't received their cabin assignment yet.  Before I was assigned the cabin, I would go the the Royal Caribbean UK site and do a mock booking to see how many cabins of each category were available...  When I looked in Jan/Feb there were a lot of 2D cabins available - maybe that's why we got assigned one.  Who knows!  But we are happy with the location.

Got an e-mail promo from RCCL and checked the pricing for my "Balcony Guarantee" for our August 29th Anthem sail.  Not much of a change, but lowered my cost by $59 due to their "Deal Promo".  Don't understand it as most of the balcony cabins seemed to be sold out, but I'll take it.

Checked my Jan. '20 11 niter on Anthem and the pricing did not change even with the "Deal promo".  Strange as the basic fare per was lowered, but offset by a lower 30% discount amount--go figure.:classic_rolleyes: I thought 30% is 30%, but I guess not in RCL eyes.

Edited by nelblu