Almalfi Coast Suggestions Needed

cruisergrandma

We will be on our first Western Mediterranean cruise in May and have never been to Italy. We are going to book an independent tour for our Naples/Amalfi Coast port.  Our choices are "Naples, Sorrento and Positano" or "Positano, Amalfi and Ravello".  We are not interested in Pompeii and I'm sure we will see plenty of cathedrals elsewhere but, we love scenery and a bit of shopping for locally made goods.  What do you experienced Mediterranean cruisers suggest?

7 hours ago, cruisergrandma said:

We will be on our first Western Mediterranean cruise in May and have never been to Italy. We are going to book an independent tour for our Naples/Amalfi Coast port.  Our choices are "Naples, Sorrento and Positano" or "Positano, Amalfi and Ravello".  We are not interested in Pompeii and I'm sure we will see plenty of cathedrals elsewhere but, we love scenery and a bit of shopping for locally made goods.  What do you experienced Mediterranean cruisers suggest?

Sorrento and Positano if you want to have a time for shopping and a great lunch overlooking the Amalfi coast 🙂

For the most part "locally made goods" in Italy these days are primarily food and wine/liquor products (in Campania examples are buffalo mozzarella, limoncello, San Marzano tomatoes), or more expensive skill-based products like inlaid wood furniture items (Sorrento) or ceramics (Vietri sul Mare).  

While you can find some inexpensive examples of these products (inlaid wood coasters, or ceramic napkin holders), you need to look carefully to be sure you're not buying something made in China.  It's not unlike the United States, where inexpensive souvenirs are not made here (the $5 tee shirts in Times Square are made in the Caribbean, thanks to CAFTA, although they are usually screen-printed in the States).

I guess my point is just to align your expectations with the reality you will find in Italy, true local-made/traditional crafts and goods (other than food and wine/liquor) are rare and expensive.  Less expensive items  have fallen out of favor in everyday use and (1) tourist demand isn't sufficient to offset that and (2) Italian labor rates are high, so they are mass produced elsewhere (like China) where labor is cheaper.

10 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We like smaller towns so I would skip Naples.  Sorrento is very nice but would choose Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.

Another vote for this itinerary.

This is all Amalfi coast, and every yard is wonderful. 

What I've seen of Naples it's pretty dire and grubby, though others assure me there are better parts.

Sorrento is very pleasant but unexciting.

Positano is very pretty, the high coast road to Amalfi  is amazing, Amalfi has enough shopping for most folk, on a map Ravello appears to be inland but has the highest and most-panoramic views of the coast - spectacular. 

JB :classic_smile:  

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2019 at 6:45 PM, cruisergrandma said:

I too recommend Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.  

We love this part of Italy and have vacationed on the coast a few times.  Our easy choice would be Amalfi, Positano and Ravello.  This gives you about the best of the Amalfi Coast.   Naples and Sorrento are not even on the Amalfi Coast!  Save those two larger cities for a future visit.   Also keep in mind that it is relatively easy to do Naples and Sorrento on your own.  But when you are spending the big bucks for a private tour...the Amalfi Coast is perfect!

Just an important warning for others!   Tour buses are not permitted into Positano so if you take most cruise line excursions you will find yourself "gazing down" at Positano and wondering what is would be like to walk some of its streets, browse some of its shops, and try a café or restaurant.  For those who want to see Positano you need to be on a small vehicle tour or do it on your own (a challenge for many).

Hank