Piazzale Roma - Venice Hotels

DisneyCrazy123

I have been doing research and found a lot of information on these boards (and links to visitor sights within various posts) for a pre-cruise hotel in Venice.  We are staying 2 nights.  I have also looked at trip advisor reviews.

What I am still trying to figure out is whether the Piazzale Roma area will be a nice area to stay for 2 nights.   The idea of not shlepping luggage too far is appealing for selecting this area.  Sometimes hotels near a main bus area can be questionable (or the area can be a bit seedy).  Given that Piazzale Roma seems to be a transportation center, I am wondering about the area.  I am hoping that someone has stayed at one of the Piazzale Roma hotels and can provide their view.  Ideally, I would like a moderately priced hotel (flexible here) with a reasonably comfortable bed that will be somewhat convenient for the cruise port.

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia and loved it. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat. Great buffet breakfast and very nice hotel. Two doors down is the Hotel Arlecchino, which lots of other people like. These two hotels are a short walk from the Piazzale Roma. We had no problems wheeling our luggage from the bus area across a very short bridge. The canal and area where these two hotels are located are fine and we did not hear any noise from the buses. Other people recommend the Hotel Santa Chaira, but that's very close to the bus area. You'd want a room that faces the canal, if you stay there.

When visiting Venice via cruise, we have stayed at hotels in Piazzale Roma - the area is just fine & very convenient to Marittima. We have stayed at Ca Doge & Santa Chiara with no bridges to cross. We have also stayed at the Arlecchino (one bridge to cross) and had a room overlooking the canal - wonderful.

We have also stayed at more upscale hotels on the Grand Canal when touring Italy via land - however these options are not moderately priced. Have even stayed in Mestre for 5 days pre cruise with extended family (very affordable option). 

Edited by dogs4fun

We usually stay in the San Marco area.  Riva degli Schiavoni is our favorite area right now.  It's harder to get to at the beginning but we like the area, restaurants and ambiance.  We are going late this spring and will stay there pre-cruise, but will stay in the Piazzale Roma area post cruise for 1 night because we have an early flight out the next morning.   Has anyone caught an early morning (4 am) land taxi out of that area?  Is it easy to find one?  

Thanks,

Vic