Need information for Le Verdon/Bordeaux

happy cruzer

Hello,  The Princess TA on the Crown Princess has a port call for Le Verdon.  The tours through Princess seem to be about the same cost as private ones.  So there are some options for $150 to little over $200pp.

Can anyone recommend a DIY type tour?  Expecially how to get to Bordeaux or one of the Chateau for a wine tasting.  Is there bus service or taxis?

What would you be considering if this were your port of call 🙂 ?

Thanks.

Its a long way from anywhere, hence the cost of trips.  Its 90-120 minutes to Bordeaux, so 3-4 hours of a day trip is sat on a bus.

I would however try and get somewhere as there is very little in Le Verdon.  I can't understand why ships still call there.

Edited by Thejuggler

I have been looking almost every day for some way around the extortion rate of bus JUST going to & from the city. NOTHING at the port nor is there really any transportation there I understand. I really wanted to go straight to St Emilion for 3-4 hours & back but tour outfits want HIGH prices for vans to transport

POST any updates on what you find out as I have FOUR people willing to go but not at hIGH costs as I got. 

Have you a particular reason for wanting to go to Saint Emilion? The Médoc region - between Le Verdon and Bordeaux - is home to many famous Grands Crus Classés like Mouton Rothschild so you could have your wine-tasting at any number of châteaux without the need to spend hours on a coach trip.

Try

www.ruesdesvignerons.com

There is a button (look for the British flag icon)to change the language to English if your French isn't up to it.

Perhaps rent a car from Le Verdon and DIY??

Edited by sailing canary
spelling

4 hours ago, sailing canary said:

Have you a particular reason for wanting to go to Saint Emilion? The Médoc region - between Le Verdon and Bordeaux - is home to many famous Grands Crus Classés like Mouton Rothschild so you could have your wine-tasting at any number of châteaux without the need to spend hours on a coach trip.

Try

www.ruesdesvignerons.com

There is a button (look for the British flag icon)to change the language to English if your French isn't up to it.

Perhaps rent a car from Le Verdon and DIY??

St Emilion is a Medevil village, would rather walk around the village then to see another bottle of wine. Here in Oregon we have maybe 150 wineries from front door, ALL within an hour, but thank you for the tip. NO rentals, cab, or anything at port

Saint Emilion is not the only medieval village in this part of France- and it's also a tourist trap.  And I doubt very much that Oregon has anything to compare with the historic chateaux in this area.

I WAS only trying to suggest an alternative to an organised tour, but I won't offer any local help again.

50 minutes ago, sailing canary said:

Saint Emilion is not the only medieval village in this part of France- and it's also a tourist trap.  And I doubt very much that Oregon has anything to compare with the historic chateaux in this area.

I WAS only trying to suggest an alternative to an organised tour, but I won't offer any local help again.

Thank you anyways for your help, I am always open for suggestions  but I still wanted the tourist trap for other reasons. We will just stay in Bordeaux

8 hours ago, sailing canary said:

The original poster *was* asking about chateaux and wine tasting, so no doubt your help will be useful for them, leaving aside the rather brusque retort you got from the other 😮

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 4:36 AM, Bob++ said:

An alternative excursion might be to take the 30-minute ferry ride across the Gironde to Royan, which is a pleasant French seaside town.

Can you tell me how we would do this, and where the departure point is?  We are not wine drinkers, but want to do SOMETHING while in port.  I would be fine doing the "on your own" but it really is extortion!

The cruise dock is apparently cut off from anywhere and there are no taxis. Some cruise lines offer a short bus ride to Soulac sur mer but that would be something to ask Princess about. Walking to the ferry is possible but it's several kilometres, so not really practical.

Frankly, as a cruise port, it's a bit of a dead loss. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know EXACTLY where the Princess bus transportation from Le Verdon drops off passengers in Bordeaux? Is it near the Tourist Information Center in the City Center? Princess has no clue since it's not an actual excursion but rather just bus transportation labeled as "Bordeaux On Your Own."

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the Crown's transatlantic now. I was pleasantly surprised by our visit to France. Soulac-sur-Mer offered free shuttle buses to the town. It was about a 20-minute ride. Soulac-sur-Mer does not have a lot to offer, but it is a quaint seaside town. I could see how it would be much more crowded in the summer months. We enjoyed walking around the town, especially the market. We purchased a couple of bottles of wine, including this one with a Soulac-sur-Mer label. We were allowed to take our wine bottles on the ship. We paid the corkage fee to enjoy them with dinner a couple of nights. (We purchased more bottles in Lisbon.)

The old church near where the shuttle bus dropped us off was interesting. It had been buried under sand at one point in time and excavated in the 1800s. And here is a photo of the caneles we sampled from the market. So tasty. 

20190926_120320.jpg

20190926_121248.jpg

20190926_130416.jpg