Embarkation Advice

There is so much confusion I really just want somebody to explain to me the embarking process.

When we cruised previously we went into a cruise terminal and ‘checked in’.  Showing our passport/photograph taken/bank details/boarding card given to us.

I asked Marella if our luggage was bonded from Manchester to Naples as so much has been said on social media, I thought I would ask Marella directly.  I was told the luggage was not bonded and when I get to Naples I would collect my luggage and take it to the coach where I would be given a welcome pack and my boarding card.  I asked who do I give my bank details to and was told this would be given to somebody on the ship. 

To say I’m very confused is an understatement.  Please would somebody who has actually cruised before with Marella please let me know what really happens once you get to the ship.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Naples us a new port but we've booked and our confirmation clearly states that the luggage us bonded.  If it isn't you will collect your bags and take them to the coach. When you get off you will then go through the checking in process before embarking (  or at least this is what happens at all other ports).  Sometimes Marella staff aren't up to date with info.

Hi MUFC.

We always go from Birmingham airport so I can only tell you how it works from there. When we get to the bag drop at the airport there is a member of TUI staff who seeks out cruise passengers and gives you an envelope with your cabin number inside. Deposit your bags and take the flight to your destination. At the destination collect your bags from the carousel and the TUI reps are waiting to tell you where your coach that takes you to the port is located, When you get to the port there is a building that has Tui staff manning desks wher you have your photograph taken and they also take your bank details and issue you with key cards. On the newer ships the key cards are also your charge cards for anything that you purchase on board. 

On the coach to the port you are also given a health questionnaire which you hand in at the port desk.

hope this helps

Like dronnygirl we have been informed that we have bonded luggage from Naples, this was sent to us as an ammendment a few weeks after we had booked, I must admit I am extremely pleased with this move as its a lot easier but if it doesn't happen it's not a problem as you will know as soon as you arrive at your departure airport. Actual check in varies from port to port but your basic understanding is correct but you will be informed at every stage and I am certain we will get a better understanding when the first cruisers return, don't worry we have done well over fifty cruises with them and never had a major issue 😀

Don't worry about the bonded luggage issue. Basically you will check in, have your photo taken etc etc just before you get on the ship. As Naples is a new home port the exact details of the process are not known yet.

It is interesting that the luggage may be bonded. I have a cruise  booked on Explorer 2 and there is no mention of bonding. I wonder why bonding is needed?

This is what it says on my Explorer 2 confirmation for flying ex newcastle

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT NAPLES
To check in your bags in the UK you'll need to visit the Marella Cruises stand. We'll security seal your bag and attach your cabin number to speed up the process at the other end. There's no need to collect your bags when you land as they’ll be sent straight to the ship. You will be directed from your plane onto the transfer coach, without having to enter the airport building. There might be a short delay in your cases being delivered to your cabin when you board the ship, so pop any essentials into your hand luggage before you leave the UK. When you reach the port, you'll be given a welcome envelope with your onboard account card inside. Your onboard account card doubles as your boarding card, so you should keep it on you at all times - you'll need to show it at the gangway and when you pay for something.

We will have to see if this is the case when we get to the airport but i somehow doubt it as its probably a mixed Tui flight rather than just a cruise charter?? 

Edited by 2BACRUISER

18 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

You will be directed from your plane onto the transfer coach, without having to enter the airport building.

Thats the bit that puzzles me ,bypass the terminal in a european airport ????

Just now, okavango said:

Me as well as not everybody on the flight will be going on the cruise, if they were it would mean you could/would clear the formalities at the port? Its possible they dont know how its going to work themselves yet? The Italians sometimes work in mysterious ways, lol.

Yes that's exactly as it happens in Barbados no passport control or through terminal, in Dubrovnik you go through terminal but don't have to collect luggage, it will all become clear after the first sailings from Napels which process they have decided to implement, think its exciting and something to look forward to. 😉

• Like 1

Italian immigration is quite stringent,I'd be very surprised if you bypassed it.On D2 last year,even though we departed from Corfu,we still had to show passports in Venice,a midcruise port.

Maybe this bonded luggage situation in EU ports is planned if Brexit actually happens and as in non EU countries we will be classed as passing through so won't go through the airport immigration terminal Of course this may mean immigration officials come on board as they do in other non EU ports

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Italian immigration is quite stringent,I'd be very surprised if you bypassed it.On D2 last year,even though we departed from Corfu,we still had to show passports in Venice,a midcruise port.

Having been thro Naples airport I would agree. The passport officer was so po faced he just made feel guilty anyway lol. Not only that there's the confusion of brexit to contend with.....Oh joy 🙈🙄🙄

3 hours ago, okavango said:

I find it all depends on who you talk to at Marella.  I found it very odd what the lady was telling me and I questioned it twice. She was quite insistent that what she was telling was correct.  All I can is that she was very nice, well let's hope so!!!

As long as the bags go straight thru,it's no big deal going thru passport control.The UK not being in Schengen all passports have to be inspected.The plane has to be unloaded first anyway.

I messaged Newcastle airport and they know nothing about special arrangements for cruise passengers on Tui flights but it's possible at flight check in cruise passengers will have luggage tagged differently and they will go into a separate luggage container on the flight and be offloaded at Naples and taken to the ship. This is only a theory. I think we will just have to wait for the first 'victim's 🙂of the system to report how it worked. 

First,there is no way an outside bus and driver would be allowed AIRSIDE at a busy European airport.Airside transportation requires licensed drivers with knowledge of taxiways and communication with the tower.The vehicles themselves have to be compliant ie. a big flashing orange light among other things.I think you will go thru immigration and your bags will be waiting outside.You will have to identify them to the reps before they are loaded on the buses,you will next see them in your cabin.That's my theory,any bets,lol.

• Like 1

Is the luggage sealed in these containers. immediately after check in at the UK airport.I would rather point them out to the reps outside the airport,in case they have been nicked somewhere in that process.I still say you will not bypass immigration.I live in Italy,so know how strict they are.

In the Caribbean you don't go through the terminal but are fast tracked through side entrances to the coaches Of course your passport is still checked and an immigration form is filled in Please note fast tracked is not true at Montego Bay it takes ages

Perhaps it's because of the problems you have identified that Tui feel it the best solution to provide a smooth transition who knows. Don't know when it's sealed in the containers or what they do for a no show but it has always worked fine for us about nine times in the Caribbean and a dozen or so in Dubrovnik.Sent

Don't remember them ever checking our passports at Grantley Adams?

Edited by Pensioncruiser
Extra