NCL Epic 02/09/19 Cruise Credit Frustration

I was one of the lucky bunch on the NCL Epic for the February 9th sailing. If you’re not familiar, it’s the one where we had an engine fire, were adrift at sea, missed all our ports, and hit the dock in Puerto Rico. (Thank God for the open bar package).

Anyway, NCL credited our accounts with a 100% credit toward a future cruise because of the troubles. This was unexpected as it’s in the cruise contract that things like this may happen and they technically don’t owe us a dime. So, we were grateful to get anything. 

Now, I have booked our next cruise and applied the credits. The amount of the credits would cover the entire cost of the cruise (including all ancillary charges). I called to do this and the customer service rep was very helpful; before applying the credits she confirmed that I agreed to do so. Of course, yes, I agreed. After this process was complete, she proceeded to tell me the balance due: $920 and some change. Uh, what?

She proceeded to tell me that future cruise credit coupons do not cover taxes, fees, gratuities, etc. As soon as she told me this and I questioned her, her helpful/kind persona dissipated. Poof, see ya. She stated the credits are only to cover cruise fare and there was nothing she could do. So, she transferred me to guest relations to escalate the case. I won’t go into detail about talking to the guest relations rep because the same exact situation happened, only I asked more questions and received more condescending responses. She actually laughed when I asked her to explain this policy. Her blanket response was: “it’s in the terms and conditions.”

Now, mind you, while on the Epic we did receive a letter stating we would be receiving this future cruise credit. There were no terms and conditions or disclaimers. Without a written or verbal disclaimer, I would never have known the terms of using the credit. It was never stated by a representative before booking. When speaking with the rep, I read the verbiage verbatim and she wasn’t sure how to respond other than repeating, “sir, it’s in the terms and conditions.” I really feel NCL could be more transparent with this; if they’re going to give a credit, make all terms known in black and white.

Needless to say, after nearly 2 hours on the phone, I got nowhere. So, I opened a case on NCL.com and attached the letter. We’ll see where it goes - I’m not expecting much. Curious to hear of others who may have had this experience, and it’s also a warning for others who have these credits.

• Like 1

Just spoke with the executive office and they won’t budge. They say nothing can be done. Coming from a customer-facing background myself, I know something can always be done - they’re just refusing.

It is what it is, but to me it just speaks volumes about NCL as a company. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, michigancruiser0715 said:

Anyway, NCL credited our accounts with a 100% credit toward a future cruise because of the troubles. This was unexpected as it’s in the cruise contract that things like this may happen and they technically don’t owe us a dime. So, we were grateful to get anything. 

Ok, so I just want to clarify, and I'm not trying to be combative, really, I'm not.  But I believe the statement above says it all...in your own words.  You weren't expecting a dime and yet you got a voucher for another cruise.  So you get to cruise again...not completely for free because there's some fees, but you get a do over for a fraction of the cost.  I think that's awesome!  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ok, so I just want to clarify, and I'm not trying to be combative, really, I'm not.  But I believe the statement above says it all...in your own words.  You weren't expecting a dime and yet you got a voucher for another cruise.  So you get to cruise again...not completely for free because there's some fees, but you get a do over for a fraction of the cost.  I think that's awesome!  

No, I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford to cruise again and the cost isn’t the principle in the matter - it’s the fact that they were clear as mud with how to use the credit and made me feel like I was asking for the moon and stars, when all I wanted was a real explanation and for them to honor what was written on paper. I also was less than impressed with the customer service regarding the situation, but oh well. I’ve had Comcast cable so I suppose I’ve dealt with worse customer service. 

You’re absolutely correct, at the end of the day I get a discounted cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michigancruiser0715 said:

No, I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford to cruise again and the cost isn’t the principle in the matter - it’s the fact that they were clear as mud with how to use the credit and made me feel like I was asking for the moon and stars, when all I wanted was a real explanation and for them to honor what was written on paper. I also was less than impressed with the customer service regarding the situation, but oh well. I’ve had Comcast cable so I suppose I’ve dealt with worse customer service. 

You’re absolutely correct, at the end of the day I get a discounted cruise.

Got it...I completely understand.  I laughed out loud with the Comcast comment!

12 minutes ago, Jembeccatoo said:

The credit was for more than the cost of your future cruise? Do you still keep the balance to use in the future, use as onboard credit, or just lose the difference?

You lose the difference. Once the coupon is applied, the remaining amount is considered money lost. 

Thanks for the heads-up!  So the "lesson learned" here is IF you ever get a credit such as this make sure you apply it to a future cruise that costs more than the original one.  Otherwise you won't, literally, get your moneys worth if all the credit covers is the cruise itself & not the taxes & such.

Question: does the trip insurance offered by NCL cover an incident like the one OP described on the Epic?

Take a better room to use the whole credit pre-tax and pay the tax to use the full value of your voucher.  

While your cruise with the fire wasn't ideal, you still ate and drank and partied for a week and now you get to do it again in a nicer cabin for under $1,000.  A Bargain! 

On 3/26/2019 at 6:24 PM, michigancruiser0715 said:

There was no such language.

IMO if the offer letter didn't' have any restrictions on  it, they can't change the rules after the fact. so how did they explain their decision?

On 3/26/2019 at 6:24 PM, michigancruiser0715 said:

There was no such language.

I was on board this cruise and the letter that I received stated; "This cruise credit is based on the original cruise fare paid and will be valid for 24 months from today's date." On the original cruise confirmation received from NCL there is a line item 'Guest Fare'. The terms of the credit were very clearly stated on the letter I received.

9 hours ago, emm126 said:

IMO if the offer letter didn't' have any restrictions on  it, they can't change the rules after the fact. so how did they explain their decision?

Haha, we’ll thats my opinion too. NCL says otherwise. 

They did not explain their decision, they just stated that per their terms and conditions, it can’t be done. They couldn’t have cared less if the terms were actually provided to us or not. I both verbally read their letter back to them and attached it in my case - they weren’t havin’ It. There was even a point where the rep stated, “I understand there aren’t terms in you letter, but there’s nothing I can do.” They were very matter-of-fact about this whole situation and while the customer isn’t always right, neither is the business. Alas, the business holds the power and they won. It’s all good. Just as Justaddvodka said above, I upgraded my room to take advantage of the credit.

I tried, I lost - might as well just take the discount and enjoy my future cruise. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluesky Seeker said:

I was on board this cruise and the letter that I received stated; "This cruise credit is based on the original cruise fare paid and will be valid for 24 months from today's date." On the original cruise confirmation received from NCL there is a line item 'Guest Fare'. The terms of the credit were very clearly stated on the letter I received.

Yes, it does state it’s based on the fare paid, as I said above, but it states nothing about not being able to be used on taxes and fees. There are no stipulations or terms. It’s very vague. 

Edited by michigancruiser0715

I was on the Jade in Nov 2018 when it broke down in Puerto Rico. We got 100% refunds and future cruise credits.

Since the whole situation was a blur of getting us all off the ship and flown back to Miami I don't remember if they told us about the cruise credit being for the fare only.

But I do know when I called NCL to inquire about how much credit we had the rep told me that it was X amount only to be used as the cruise fare. As well when I called to book the cruise the other rep also told me the same thing.

I'm not sure if I have a copy of our letter to see what they said, but I do understand that they can only cover their fare.

As it is we are booked again for November on the 11 day Pearl, for just about $900 total. Hoping for a price reduction before final payment so I can try to get something other than an Inside cabin.