Glacier Bay new contracts awarded

barbeyg

As noted earlier, not all ships get a Glacier Bay pass (and Coral followed up by surmising it's still going to be just 2 a day) just because the company was awarded the concession. It's possible Celebrity won't have any passes in 2020 (or just a couple) so rescheduling all itineraries isn't an issue.....

On 4/1/2019 at 2:57 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Barb, from your map it looks like the entrance to Glacier Bay is by Hoonah/ Icy Straight Point, is that correct?  Wondering of Celebrity might drop ISP next year for Glacier Bay.

Actually, I don't remember the exact route into GB and I've been there 3 times on 3 different ships (2 Princess, 1 HAL).  I imagine it would depend on whether the ship is doing NB, SB or RT from the lower 48.  I don't recall being awake for long before we entered the bay--I was up and out there early on the Star for sure.  Definitely remember leaving, though, and going past the huge colony of noisy sea lions not far outside there <g>.  But unless the itinerary includes Icy Point (none of ours did), I don't think it would go by ISP which appears about 15 s of Gustavus, which is right inside the entrance to GB and where the NPS ranger boards.  

10 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

As noted earlier, not all ships get a Glacier Bay pass (and Coral followed up by surmising it's still going to be just 2 a day) just because the company was awarded the concession. It's possible Celebrity won't have any passes in 2020 (or just a couple) so rescheduling all itineraries isn't an issue.....

As an example Carnival Cruise line only goes to Glacier Bay 2x a year on average.