Room classification changing?

trish4bruce

I am looking at booking a cruise on the Jade in January 2021.  While on the NCL website looking at the deck plans I noticed that the stateroom types change after November 20, 2020.   I took pictures to show what I mean.  Anyone have any insight to what NCL is doing?imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

11AB77AF-29F0-41F8-B024-C18FA05871D2.jpeg

There are changes coming to the alphanumeric codes used by NCL. There are also changes coming as to what certain suites are entitled to have.

It's too early to start making charts/lists of the changes because that may confuse people who want to book/cruise before the changes happen People are aware of what's coming, though...

19 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There are changes coming to the alphanumeric codes used by NCL. There are also changes coming as to what certain suites are entitled to have.

It's too early to start making charts/lists of the changes because that may confuse people who want to book/cruise before the changes happen People are aware of what's coming, though...

Thank you for the explanation.  So in the end it really does not affect the consumer?

1 hour ago, trish4bruce said:

Thank you for the explanation.  So in the end it really does not affect the consumer?

It will in some cases. For example, all H6 suites are currently the same price even when balcony sizes vary. By giving the large balcony H6s a different code (H7) vs the smaller balcony H6s (HA), NCL can charge more for the H7 (what we currently call a H6).

There are also changes as to which suites get butler service and which ones don't even if currently, all suites in the same category get the same service. You'll see things like "Most include butler and concierge service." even within the same category. Currently, it's "Includes butler and concierge service." for the same category.

It's going to be a lot of work trying to sort things out and there will be a lot of confusion.

One thing I noticed is that on the Jewel class ships, they made the old  SF penthouse suites located on decks 8, 9 & 10. are now divided by deck - those on decks 8&9 remain the same category while the ones on deck 10 (that have larger balconies) are in a category by themselves. That way they can charge more $$ for the larger balcony. I also believe that those on the two lower decks may not get all of the perks of the full suite - there have not been any details about these changes but I suspect that they will be similar to the concierge class on the Joy. ie no butler service and perhaps other perks.

If NCL is trying to cut costs - eliminating butler service to 8 suites would save $$.

I also believe that there will be changes to the forward suites - however with the owners suites next to the penthouse suites it may not be as easy - unless you also increase the category for all suites on deck 10 and drop services for all suites on the lower decks.